In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Narrowed down to 2 guns...need your help

RedlegRedleg Member Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
OK: Here are the choices:1) Walther P-99 with the Quick Action Trigger2) Sig-Sauer P-226I want something that's light for long backpacking trips, handy, and easily concealable. Thanks in advance, Y'all!Brian

Comments

• RedlegRedleg Member Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh, yeah...Can you comment on reliability as well?Thanx
  • RedlegRedleg Member Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey, SaxThanks for the feedback. I have a M-27 that I absolutely love, but it is just too heavy to lug 40 or so miles over the Olympic Mts. and such. And, I don't want to scratch it up! It's such a nice piece...in fact, I'm going out back right now.As for the 1911...I had a Para P-14-45 that I carried with me on a 50-miler 2 years ago. By the third day, I was looking for things to off-load and the Para was at the top of the list.Brian
  • j2k22j2k22 Member Posts: 329 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    take the SIG; excellent track record in every respect; the Walther (and especially S & W clones) are questionable.
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • elmos608elmos608 Member Posts: 124 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, go with the Sig! But maybe a 220?
  • royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want a light handy firearm that still has some punch, you might want to look at a Colt Defender or LWT Commander. The Defender weighs 22 1/2 oz and can carry (7+1). You will still have the .45 punch. They are stainless and can "ruff it" as it were. Saxon, it sounds like yours and my collections have a lot in common. I liked and have all your other choices. The 39-2 is light and is good for in the hills. And the Hi power needs no introduction.
  • niklasalniklasal Member Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sig would be the better of the two, but still, if you are using it for backpacking, I'd recommend a Polymer gun, such as the Glock (sorry all, especially you Sax!) I say that because with polymer, you got less weight to carry, and most importantly a gun which is more rust-resistant. Everybody remember those "leaving the glock in salt water" tests? EDIT: Also consider a Taurus 617, titanium. It's rust-proof, lightweight, and revolvers are jam-free. An alternative if you hate polymers...
    NIKLASAL@hotmail.com[This message has been edited by niklasal (edited 02-20-2002).]
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    I would also go with a Glock. Light weight and made for durability. 357sig or .40 or the big 10mm.
  • LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Go with a compact Glock like the Model 26 9mm or its .40 cal. counterpart. Nice and small, no weight and 10+1 capacity.
    Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • BoltactionManBoltactionMan Member Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Saxon had it right. Model 19. 4" (or maybe a 3" if you can find it). Take combat grips off and replace with a slimmer Pachmayer style. Small, compact, light and powerful.Just my preference.KC
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SIG 226 all the way. Try the .357 sig version. That's one hot load with gold dot hp's.
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Say, isn't the 228 a smaller version of the 226, or have my memory cells on that died? If so, why not the smaller lighter one?
    "The 2nd Amendment is about defense, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member."
  • RUGERNUT3RUGERNUT3 Member Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Of your choices posted.....SIG..
    "ANY" EXCUSE IS A GOOD REASON TO BUY "JUST 1 MORE".& VICIE-VERSIE!
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1911 45 ACP on a Ltwt frame.9mm Sig for the kids.Forget the Wa?????cpermd
  • smokepolesmokepole Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Honorable Mr. Pig,If I might raise issue with some of your recent comments (here I pause dramatically while filling my pipe and casting a fond glance at the popping and crackling fire, and then I rest an elbow on the mantle before continuing my thoughts), shouldn't the properly attired gentleman--a man who is always wearing both a deer-stalking hat, green wellies, and a Burberry shooting jacket--always have a fowling piece close by? A wonderful side-by-side with a pheasant hunting scence engraved into the metal? And should said gentleman be approached by a sassy ner-do-well shouldn't he be able to deposit a load of shot into the backside of said ruffian? Truly the practical and skilled use of sporting arms is the calling mark of the refined man of the world, so why should such a fellow feel the need for a pistol or a revolver?I do await your response, and I thank you for finally bringing up the self-defense needs and etiquette of the landed gentry. Oh, and I notice you look a bit dry. Some of this single malt, perhaps?
  • 223believer223believer Member Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I say, can anyone help me get out of these wet clothes and into a dry martini?If you need protection, my good man, might I suggest a .416 Rigby or perhaps a nice double rifle from Holland and Holland?
  • pops401pops401 Member Posts: 616 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Colt Defender. 40cal S&W. Light, concealable, and dependable.
  • PupPup Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go with the Sig. The walther is just way too butt-ugly to even consider. If you want a polymer gun I'd almost suggest a Glock, and that's stretching it a bit.stir?
    Politicians, like diapers, should be changed often and for the same reason.
    edited November -1
    Frankly, for backpacking I might just prefer a revolver, or at least a semi-auto that is reliable with a pocketful of different loads including shotshells for snakes & varmints. A smaller light-frame big bore would be good for this. I'd consider a single stack alloy frame semi-auto OR a light alloy revolver in .44 or .45. I personally would not prefer 9mm for a backpack situation. If you're worried about unfriendly humans, just take plenty of reloads.
    "The 2nd Amendment is about defense, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member."
  • SUBMARINERSUBMARINER Member Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GO WITH THE SIG,ALL THOSE GLOCKIANS HOLLERIN ABOUT RUST AND CORROSION AND BLAH BLAH BLAH.THE SIG IS THE MOST RELIABLE OF THE 2 YOU MENTIONED,AND ITS MADE OUT OF STAINLESS STEEL THERFORE NO RUST.I GOT A 226 IN .40S&W LOVE IT.GREAT GUN,BEST IVE GOT.
    SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,NE'ER DO WELL, INSTIGATOR,AND RUSTY WALLACE FAN
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Colt Commander lightweight.....end of discussion. I've carried one for YEARS. Hardly know it's there.Mudge the prejudiced
    I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS![This message has been edited by mudge (edited 02-22-2002).]
    edited November -1
    I had been thinking along the lines of a 629 snubbie "Backpacker" or Lew Horton for this kind of hiking, but I just went and bought myself another good 'ol stainless Charter Arms Bulldog Pug .44 Special. I may have to mail order or hit a gun show for a variety of ammo sometimes, but the darn thing is so small and light you hardly know it's there. Unless I'm heading to bear country with that backpack, I think it'll do. I can probably find shot shells for it too. And as backups go, it'll be a nice choice when something else won't hide properly. Besides, a lot of people wind up loading .44 Special in their 629s, so why carry all that extra S&W weight if don't need it?I admit a fondness for Charter Arms as the "little American gun company that could." I'm glad they're back in business and kinda root for them to stick around. They fill a unique niche that no other gun company (even Rossi) ever filled quite as well. But I digress.
  • 5db5db Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What may I ask are you carrying the firearm for? Self protection against all things breathing or to supplement your diet as well?
    If you have one shot...Accu-Shot Website
  • Wild BillWild Bill Member Posts: 155 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Sig 226 in 9mm with 15-round mags. Great gun and very reliable, but it is somewhat on the heavy side.
    "Gun control is not about guns; it's about control." "If guns cause crime, then matches cause arson."
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Can't comment on the Walther P-99 because I've never shot one. The other Walthers I have are excellent guns though. My SIG P-226 is one of the best guns I own, and should meet your needs. I would be happy to recommend it.
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!