In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Is there such a thing as a family gunstore?

mcneely77mcneely77 Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
edited March 2002 in General Discussion
This past weekend I took my two sons (6 years old, and 7 weeks old), to our local gunstore (43 miles), to look for a set of grips. My six year old loves to look at the shiney guns behind the plexiglass. He is always willing to tell me which gun I should buy. Anyway, the whole time we are there, the "f" word was flying like a flock of crows, people were talking about how many bodies this round would go through before it would finally stop in someones pancreas, etc. etc.Don't get me wrong, I am no saint, but I do watch what I say around kids. My point is this, in that type of atmosphere, how can I get my wife and someday kids, involved in the shooting sports, if I am embarrassed to take them to the gun store? Is there such a thing as a family gunstore? Why can't a gun store sell you a gun just as a hardware store would sell you a hammer? I know that a gunstore is a breeding place for testosterone, but come on! Am I wrong for even bringing my kids to a gunstore at that age? Thanks in advance.Thom

Comments

• niklasalniklasal Member Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get to know the owner. Introduce yourself, tell him how much money you spend at his store, then if you hear R-rated talk again in your kid's presence, let him know. At the very LEAST, talk to management.By the way, it's GREAT you get your kids involved at an early age. It gets rid of the "forbidden" mystique that surrounds guns and gets kids into trouble. My neighbor grew up in Northern Mich, with 8 bros and sisters. Guns were left out on the kitchen table but nobody messed with them. They understood they were dangerous, but because they had been around them since before they could remember, they were no more mysterious than the TV remote control.
    NIKLASAL@hotmail.com[This message has been edited by niklasal (edited 03-19-2002).]
  • GreenLanternGreenLantern Member Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, Gander Mountain, Scheels, Cabelas. But only if you're looking for the ordinary and bland. One is pretty much a cookie cutter of the other.
  • mcneely77mcneely77 Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I swear that I took my Mossberg .410 in to school when I was 12 for show and tell. I had just gotten it for my 12th birthday. Now you would get arrested.
  • Submariner .Submariner . Member Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MCNEELY,YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY DOING THE RIGHT THING.GET YOUR KIDS FAMILIAR WITH YOUR GUNS!IT IS IMPERATIVE IN THIS DAY AND AGE (OR ANY FOR THAT MATTER)I CARRY QUITE A BIT AND MY LOADED SIG WILL SIT ON THE COFFEE TABLE ALL DAY LONG WHEN IM GOING TO BE IN AND OUT WITH MY KIDS BACK AND FORTH THROUGH THE LIVING ROOM AND THEY DONT PAY IT ANY MORE ATTN THAN THE TV REMOTE BECAUSE THEY ARE USED TO SEEING IT BOTH HAVE SHOT IT AND THEY BOTH KNOW WHAT IT IS CAPABLE OF AND WHY DADDY CARRIES IT.WHEN OTHER KIDS COME OVER IT GOES IN THE SAFE FOR OBVIOUS REASONS.AS FAR AS THE LANGUAGE I CAN GET AS RUDE CRUDE AND VULGAR AS THE BEST OF THEM BUT THERE IS A TIME AND PLACE AND IN A PUBLIC PLACE WITH OTHERS AROUND IS NOT IT.I WOULD HAVE LOOKED HIM IN THE EYE AND SAID DO YA MIND?RESPECTFULLY BUT FIRM AND IF HE CONTINUES YA JUST GOTTA WALK OUT AND LET THE STORE OWNER KNOW HE LOST BUSINEES CAUSE SOME CHOWDERHEAD AINT GOT NO SOCIAL GRACES
    Truck Driver,Submarine Veteran,Rusty Wallace fan,and piss poor typist E-MAIL WNUNLEY@USIT.NET
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You think gun shops are bad? Try a "biker" shop someday. I don't use that kind of language around Mrs. Mudge and I won't tolerate anyone else using it without calling them on it. I've been known to ask the person using the offensive language if he "kisses his mama with that same mouth?" If you say something to the clerk on the order of, "I'll be back another time. Maybe the foul language will have stopped by then." Whichever you choose, say it loud enough so that the person and the other customers can hear it. Usually works like a charm. You might be surprised to see how many of the other people there are also offended by it.I'm of the opinion that many of these "trash mouths" are not totally aware of the fact that they're saying it. The F word and the MF word are so much a part of their normal speech patterns that it has become, to them, like you and I using "if" "and" or "but".Mudge the puritan
    I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS![This message has been edited by mudge (edited 03-20-2002).]
  • Bubba JoelBubba Joel Member Posts: 5,161
    edited November -1
    mcneely77, I have never allowed anyone to use that type of language around my wife and daughter..I like some of the others have used bad words, but not around women and kids.It is called RESPECT..Not having any sons, I didn't have a problem with gun shops..I have gone into businesses with my family and some bozo started using that type of words... Everytime I have asked them to keep it clean, because I didn't want my family subjected to that type of words..So far everyone has cooperated..Of course I weigh 300#'s....HAHA.Most people use those types of words so often, they don't realize their doing it...Most of the time, they will say I'm sorry and stop using such words..
    http://www.tmorg-forums.com/
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Speech patterns are easy to acquire and often hard to change once they become ingrained. I'm not defending the bad language, BTW. My speech is often peppered with expletives, in most cases unconsciously. I *do* try to keep it clean around kids & ladies (Mrs. Mudge is unquestionably one of the latter, even if her taste in men is questionable ), but unless I make a conscious effort *not* to use those words, they slip into my conversation effortlessly. Part of it being their ubiquitous presence in virtually every environment today. I am certain many using offensive language are not even aware of it and notification of it will bring a change for a bit.
  • PelicanPelican Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When it is just the 'regular crew' in the shop it can get a bit rowdy but they all know to cool it when kids, ladies, or non regular customers come in.
  • .280 freak.280 freak Member Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like most here on this board, I'm sure, I have used all the words that we consider "bad language" at some time or other. I try not to use them in polite company, however, reserving their use to the times that seem appropriate; smashing my hand while using a hi-lift jack comes to mind as an appropriate time!Not that this has anything to do with guns or gunstores, but one particular story sticks out in my mind. Several years ago, my lovely and gracious Margie and I were attending a local high-school football game. Daughter Sandy was a cheerleader at the time, and so we went to most home games to watch her as well as the game.We were sitting in the bleachers with people scattered all around us. In front and down a row or two were some high-school kids sitting together and spending more time goofing off with each other than watching the game. No big deal except that every other word out of their mouths was an obscenity. The girls were talking worse than the boys, to my surprise.After listening to their crap for a while (and they were very loud with little kids and grandparents all around in hearing range), I finally had enough. I leaned forward and got their attention. I wasn't mean or threatening, simply let them know that there ARE other adjectives that they could use in place of their more colorful ones, and, in deference to the rest of the people around them, would they mind toning it down a bit.They were a little embarrassed, I guess, because we never heard much from them after that. They probably hadn't even realized that others might not like hearing them talk that way. I got the impression that was just their normal mode of communication. Sad thing, that. I did get a squeeze on my leg from Margie, along with a wink and smile of appreciation from her, as well as looks of thanks from some of the others around.
  • ibtruknibtrukn Member Posts: 443 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mac 77, Mudge got it rite (finally).Tell him, her, it, in a loud enuff tone," I hear you talk the talk, let's see if you can walk the walk" CAPEESH?No reason for that language in a public place, especially when discussing something as mundane as guns. Right, clouder??mundane...heheh TFF
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ib.....MUNDANE????Don't be a show-off. Mudge the appreciative
    I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • 218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    At the shop where I work,when I notice someone speaking badly in the presence of a lady or child,I simply go up close to them and mumble something like"Shut up,you fu((!n` d!ldo...that guy has his wife with him!!".218
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,447 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are several shops here where folks don't act that way. I have never heard anything said, but I don't hear the trash either.
  • concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been noticing that type of language becoming more common in public too. I don't really care, myself, but since I became a new father I have been thinking about that. I guess it's just a different world today, respect for others is unusual and manners are not really even taught at home anymore. When I was a kid I would've gotten a backhand to the mouth if I talked like that around my parents. I've seen parents ignore foul language from their kids these days.
    Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT Criminals
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    There was one here in Lewisville, Texas, but the big Sporting Goods stores ran them out of business after 25 years. It was nice to go in with your grandkids or your wife and they were as welcome and comfortable as if they were visiting a friends house. They closed down two months ago, and I really miss them.
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!