In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Road trip!!! Me and Sandy on the bike!

dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
A short one Sunday up around Possum Kingdom Lake, then down to Mary's Cafe in Strawn for lunch, then down to Grandbury and back home. That's the warm up ride.

Then Tuesday through Friday, we'll be hitting the Hill Country of Texas with a trip to Luckenback and Fredericksburg and then some riding through the hills.

Gonna' be fun, and may be our last trip on the bike. I'll take my laptop, and if the hotels have wireless, we'll be logging in to see what you working schmucks are up to.

Keeping the rubber side down next week![;)]

Comments

• gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stay safe danny.
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    without a picture, I will have to assume its a schwinn.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tplumeri

I'll try to take some pictures and post them when we get back. It's a Goldwing, and I want a picture of her in front of the Luckenback Post Office and Country Store, population 3.[:D]
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Enjoy, ride safe, take pics, and let us know how it was.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Why would it be your last trip on the bike???

Stay safe and keep the rubber side down. I hope you guys have a great trip![:)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC

Age and health issues are beginning to be a problem. I'm thinking of selling it before it becomes too much to handle. I may trike it, but we'll see.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dheffley
    quote:Originally posted by ECC

Age and health issues are beginning to be a problem. I'm thinking of selling it before it becomes too much to handle. I may trike it, but we'll see.

That would be cool![8D] My daughter has loved trikes ever since she first saw one.
  • MVPMVP Member Posts: 23,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like Fun[8D]
    I hope you guys have a Great Time.
  • sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    be safe,it is getting more and more crazy out there all the time,My oldest brother "he's 60" just swapped from a Wing to a trike wing and loves it, I rode a Wing for years with the wife but her health will not let her ride anymore and I am going through another childhood so I am on a Roadstar now
    roadstar.jpg
  • burdz19burdz19 Member Posts: 4,145
    edited November -1
    Ride safe, still plenty of gas field semi traffic on 377 between FTW and Granbury. I've eaten at Mary's very good! but if you hold on and go a little further south to Stephenville there is an awesome lil BBQ joint at the junction of 377 and 281, can't remember the name but it you are interested shoot me an e-mail and i'll get it to you.

b
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by burdz19
    Ride safe, still plenty of gas field semi traffic on 377 between FTW and Granbury. I've eaten at Mary's very good! but if you hold on and go a little further south to Stephenville there is an awesome lil BBQ joint at the junction of 377 and 281, can't remember the name but it you are interested shoot me an e-mail and i'll get it to you.

b

Have eaten at the Hard Eight BBQ in Stephenville many times. I grew up in Dublin Texas, the next town west of Stephenville and we still travel to Stephenville for family reunions and to stay on my fathers estate.

Because of Sandy's stoke, the fixed stools at Hard Eight make it hard for her to sit. She likes Mary's Chicken Fried Steak, so her wish is my command.

Gonna' be a good time!!![;)]
    edited November -1
    quote:I'm thinking of selling it before it becomes too much to handle. I may trike it, but we'll see.

A buddy of mine triked his goldwing.
    seems it fell over (soft dirt under kickstand) and he couldn't lift it up by himself! had to ask his wife to help him.
    the next week he dropped of at the shop.
    looks really good!
  • njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    Have a great time Danny and like the others have said, be safe!!!
    edited November -1
    quote:I'm thinking of selling it before it becomes too much to handle. I may trike it, but we'll see.

A buddy of mine triked his goldwing.
    seems it fell over (soft dirt under kickstand) and he couldn't lift it up by himself! had to ask his wife to help him.
    the next week he dropped of at the shop.
    looks really good!

I have lost some toes to diabetis, and have some finger twitches that are nuerological (maybe the beginning of Parkinstons), so I don't know until the tests are done what I'm looking at. Meanwhile, I can still lift it, but the foot with the missing toes sometimes gives me trouble when balencing on the right side, which is opposite the rear brake and the side I usually put my foot down on.

Three wheeling would solve the foot problem, but we'll have to see what the finger twitches are all about. Will be doing that in a few weeks, but since they come and go, and the MRI was negative for a brain tumor, the doctor thinks it's Parkinstons.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by njretcop
    Have a great time Danny and like the others have said, be safe!!!

Thanks Charlie. I was originally going to head for Sothern Missouri, but it looks like rain up there next week, and Sandy said she would sure like to do the Hill Country again.

Her wish is my command![:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:the doctor thinks it's Parkinstons.

well, I guess thats a possibility, but if it's only one hand I would check nerve conduction study first.
    parkinsons is a diagnosis of exclusion. there's really no "test" per se for it.
    just my 2c
    email me if you want to get into the details.
    tom
    edited November -1
    quote:the doctor thinks it's Parkinstons.

well, I guess thats a possibility, but if it's only one hand I would check nerve conduction study first.
    parkinsons is a diagnosis of exclusion. there's really no "test" per se for it.
    just my 2c
    email me if you want to get into the details.
    tom

If that's the one with the needles and electric current tests, they've already done them. The nerves are 100%, the problem is a signal from the brain (or lack of a brain in my case) that shouldn't be there.
  • hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be safe Danny.Enjoy the ride.I'm riding back to Indiana for a few weeks.Gonna see the grand kids,watch a few T-Ball games,do some shootin,and alot of ridin'.
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Danny, have you a safe ride. If you make it as far east as North Carolina, stop in and see us, we'll eat some BBQ and I'll ride half way back to Texas with you.
    Was planning on some riding this weekend but that sort of fell apart. Got called in to work 2330 last night, got home at lunch time today. We were planning on a ride up into West Virginia and Virginia but looks like rain set in. Oh well another day for that.
    edited November -1
    Take care my friend..[;)][:D]
  • rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by burdz19

b

Have eaten at the Hard Eight BBQ in Stephenville many times. I grew up in Dublin Texas, the next town west of Stephenville and we still travel to Stephenville for family reunions and to stay on my fathers estate.

Because of Sandy's stoke, the fixed stools at Hard Eight make it hard for her to sit. She likes Mary's Chicken Fried Steak, so her wish is my command.

Gonna' be a good time!!![;)]

That's the place. Dublin, where the Dr.P is still made with real sugar! Be safe and have a good ride!

b
    edited November -1
    dh, hope you missed the storms or at least had your raingear [;)]
  • 53hawkeye53hawkeye Member Posts: 4,673
    edited November -1
    Safe journey to you and the Mrs.

You get close to Bryan/College Station, you e-mail and meet-up. You are welcome to cool your heels here in the country. There is a great route from here back up toward the metroplex. No interstate riding, all back road, with few/no lights and less traffic

53hawkeye
  • tpacuriositytpacuriosity Member Posts: 707 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dheff............good luck to ya. Just have to say....life does seem to suk quite a bit of the time, now doesn't it! It takes a good long time to really get a handle on life and what it's really all about, or what is important vs what you thought was at one time (at least in my case), then when you finally have a clue and are intelligent/smart/mature/fortunate enough to get things figured out between the ears, to body begins breaking down. See it happen to so many good people. WE should be born old and get younger while keepin' a little common sense.......now that would be nice. Oh well.. go have some fun and share some pictures when you're done. Cya
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 17,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Swing on through Dublin and bring us back some of their real Dr. Pepper. [:p]
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    You passed right by me. Next time you take that run let me know and I'll buy ya'll lunch!
  • MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I'll try to take some pictures and post them when we get back. It's a Goldwing, and I want a picture of her in front of the Luckenback Post Office and Country Store, population 3.[:D]

I'm jealous! My favorite road out there was Ranch Road 337 between Leakey and Camp Wood. Then North out of Camp Wood on FM 335.

Here are a couple pics we took in front of said Post Office

Enjoy your trip

IMG_0785.jpg

IMG_0788.jpg
    Regards, MAALOX
  • kumatekumate Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you get a chance stop in the dutch house in new braunsvill,best bbq in the world,ride hard and stay clean
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,859 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Stay safe and have a swell trip!
  • btkbtk Member Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's been awhile since I've been to Luchenbach. But I lived in Graford and go back occasionally (last month for my uncle's funeral). An ex brother in law is a ranger at PK. Have fun I bet you'll talk to someone I know.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mateomasfeo

You passed right by me. Next time you take that run let me know and I'll buy ya'll lunch!

Dang Matty, I'm sorry to hear that. Sandy and I sure would have enjoyed stopping for a visit. Her goal in life is to make as many new friends as she can while she's on earth. She loves new people.

... and new places.

... and new foods.

... and new critters.

... and new experiences.

... aw heck, she loves new anything![:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Maalox
    My favorite road out there was Ranch Road 337 between Leakey and Camp Wood. Then North out of Camp Wood on FM 335.

I'm sitting at the computer downloading the route to the GPS now. I'm going to add those roads in now! Thanks for the heads up!
  • MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My favorite road out there was Ranch Road 337 between Leakey and Camp Wood. Then North out of Camp Wood on FM 335.

I'm sitting at the computer downloading the route to the GPS now. I'm going to add those roads in now! Thanks for the heads up!

You can make a big loop out of Leakey West on RR337, North RR335, East on 41 and then South on RR 336. RR 336 has a bunch of cow grates and IMHO is not as nice a ride as the others but still a nice road. Another must see is the Lone Star Motorcycle Museum 4 miles North of Vanderpool on HWY 187.

http://lonestarmotorcyclemuseum.com/index.html

IMG_1231.jpg

IMG_1216.jpg

Ride Safe [:D]
    Regards, MAALOX
    edited November -1

You can make a big loop out of Leakey West on RR337, North RR335, East on 41 and then South on RR 336. RR 336 has a bunch of cow grates and IMHO is not as nice a ride as the others but still a nice road. Another must see is the Lone Star Motorcycle Museum 4 miles North of Vanderpool on HWY 187.

http://lonestarmotorcyclemuseum.com/index.html

IMG_1231.jpg

IMG_1216.jpg

Ride Safe [:D]

Looks like your suggestions will be on the day two and or three list! Thanks!