In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Man's dog now cost over $14,000--talking about ..

RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
...paying through the nose!

Man saves dog by sucking snake venom from his nose

May 22, 3:04 PM (ET)

CHEYENNE, Wyo. (AP) - A man said he saved his dog's life after sucking venom from a rattlesnake bite out of the animal's nose. Bobby Jenkins said he began feeling ill after getting his dog, Tank, to a veterinarian. He went to the hospital and received a dose of antivenin.

In all, Jenkins needed four vials of antivenin at a cost of $3,500 per vial.

Meanwhile, Jenkins said his dog's head swelled up to three times its normal size. Tank had been bitten after running under some equipment on the family ranch.

The dog also received antivenin and both Jenkins and his dog have recovered.

---

Information from: Casper Star-Tribune - Casper, http://www.trib.com

Comments

• hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    some people feel there dogs are like there kids. Are german sheaperd is a family dog. it has been with both of my sons from early ages and acts like a mother hen to them. I guess i would do anything short of putting my family at risk to save her.
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd do the same for my dog...there is no love or loyalty greater than what your dog can give you.
  • Saxon PigSaxon Pig Member Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of my dogs suffered from bad joints. Several surgeries and a lifetime of medication cost us about $10,000 to keep her alive for 13 years.

I'd write a check right now to have her back for another 13 years...
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had one for 16 years that I have no clue of the many thousands upon thousands in vet bills that I incurred.

I would do it all over again.

Still not in the frame of mind for a replacement yet,.....someday.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HMMM That is interesting the show I watched on Discovery the other day said you could drink rattle snake venom and it would not hurt you it was not a poison but a venom, meaning it works in the blood stream only

Here from Wiki
    Venomous snakes are often said to be poisonous, although this is not the correct term, as venoms and poisons are different. Poisons can be absorbed by the body, such as through the skin or digestive system, while venoms must first be introduced directly into tissues or the blood stream through mechanical means. It is, for example, therefore harmless to drink snake venom as long as there are no lacerations inside the mouth or digestive tract.[1]
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I don't think I'd want to stake my life on this Wiki entry.

Doug
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    If you have any internal sore such as an ulcer the snake venom can enter your bloodstream at that point..
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agreed don't suck venom with a canker sore or ulcer
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
    edited November -1
    DISCLAIMER: The article I posted has about five lines--depending on the size and resolution of your screen. Probably not enough text to give ALL the details of the incident with regard to mitigating medical issues. For the record, I too have spent much on dogs and cats. Not slamming anyone for their choice to do the same or differently. Merely pointing out an instantly expensive incident.
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    Dogs are descended from wolves, and wolves know organization and discipline.

In our social context, they tend to view themselves as sergeants, and they are all looking for a decent officer to serve. Anybody in the unit of the rank of Private, such as children, will be defended by the Sergeant to the death.

Just my take on dogs.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    I'd do the same for my buddies, all of them. They are family.[^]