In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

My Dad

Prescott PetePrescott Pete Member Posts: 207 ✭✭
edited May 2002 in General Discussion
My dad turns 79 tomorrow. He has led an adventerous life. In his time he has been a Airborne Ranger, a highway patrolman, a city policeman in Pratt, Kansas, a machinest, truck driver, high school teacher, counselor, and school psychologist. He has been an avid hunter, and gun affectianado all his life. He taught me to hunt, and fish, and gave me my love of such, and of guns, as well as passing several guns on to me. He taught me to think for myself, and to stand, and be a man, at times when it's hard to do that. He is still a great person to turn to in times of stress in my life. He has given my children the raising in church that I was not able to. Or not willing to, take your pick. Anyway, he took up those reins where I dropped them. He stood by my mother, until her passing. He stood by me, as a first man, when I got married the first time. He stood by me when I buried her.

He is married to a great woman, now, who looks after him in all ways. He died, and was recesitaded(sp), and had a long, long recovery. She stood by him through it all, a very good woman. He loves his cats and dogs, and looks after his Amish neighbors, transporting them wherever they need to go. He works in wood, mostly harvested from his farm.

He's my Dad, and I think the world of him.

He hates Obama.

If any of you would be so inclined, I expect he would appreciate birthday wishes sent to him. His e-mail is

randpacres@ckt.net

He's my Dad, and I love him, and I'm very proud of him.

Dan

Ps: His Name is Roscoe Baker.

RW_2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    My Dad was born in Mifflinburg Pa.in 1897.He was the youngest of 9 children.He left home when he was 15 and worked in the steel mills of Phiadelphia and Pittsburgh.He joined the Army just before WW1 and was stationed in Texas.His unit guarded the orange and grapefruit farms from the Mexicans that raided them every night.They were not allowed to carry loaded weapons even thou they were shot at regularly.One day my Father and his friend broke into the ammo building and took ammo for their Colt 45's.For a few days they fired back until they were found out.Nothing came of it.
    After the war he rode the rails and finally settled in Buffalo, N.Y.
    He sold apples on the street corners during the Depression.My Mother and Fathers first daughter died at 3 years old of pneumonia.He held various other jobs.Delivering ice, driving the trolley cars in Buffalo and painting torpedoes during WW2.
    My Dad was 42 when I was born.We moved into a partially burned out house right after the war. We put mattress against the walls to keep out the snow.My Dad never swore and at Christmas time he drank a half glass of wine and took 3 or 4 puffs on a cigar to celebrate.I never heard my parents complain.
    During the 1950's his contracting business began to flourish.We would go woodchuck hunting every Sunday during the summer.I started going deer hunting with him when I was 8.As time went on we hunted in the Adirondacks,the southern tier of N.Y. State and near Emporium Pa.In Pa. we would camp in a wall tent and cut our own wood.Two and three feet of snow and temps as low as -10 degrees were common.By this time my Dad's heart was not good but we hunted from daylight to dark every day.When I graduated from high school he took me moose and black bear hunting in Canada.
    My Dad was a superior shot with his Model 70 and his Lefever Nitro Express.Everything I ever learned about hunting and shooting I learned from him.
    During my teen age years I did not always treat him with respect.
    My Dad died in 1973.Little did I know what a profound effect that would have on my life.I wish I could go back and change things and be a better son to him but I can't.
    If I may be able to offer some advice.If you still have your Dad treat him with respect and try to be around him more.If you are a Dad start some type of tradition with your kids.After all is said and done memories are all that you will have left.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Two months in the hospital. Dr's didn't expect him to survive. He did. Celebrated his 82'nd birthday today, at his home. Mild celebration. Me, and his wife, and a couple Amish neighbors. It was a good time. He is still in the hospital, just got a "furlough", but is expected to be released the first of next week. I hope it works out. I know he has a long row to hoe, but he can do it. He's tough. He's my dad. Prayers for him would not be unappreciated.

Dan
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just got back from visiting my dad tonight. He collapsed in his kitchen wed afternoon and was admitted to the hospital. He was released this afternoon. Good news is it appears that he did not have a stroke. The bad news is that it looks like he is showing signs of the "family curse" Dementia/Alltimers(sp). His mom died from the same complications years ago. While we were there, my step-mother approached my wife and handed her his pistol (unloaded, thankfully) that he was wandering around with and told us to get it out of the house. Need some advice on this one.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    turns 80 this week. My sister asked us all to write somethng. I'm not too good at it, but this is what I came up with .

My Dad. You ask me to talk about my dad. I can't. I can't say in words what my dad means to me. I owe him this feeble effort, though.

Would you expect my dad to be the kind of man who would coerce people into peeing on electric fences, eating green persimmons, raw acorns, and dog food? Would you expect him to threaten the city mayor, and a leading councilman in a barbershop? Would you expect him to salt the favorite parking place of a city policeman who had ticketed him with roofing nails? Would you expect him to be the king of "pull my finger" or of singing loudly raucous army ditties? Would you expect him to be the sort of man to build a little kids hopes up, taking him to a place where they had "dogs" for waitresses? Would you expect him to laugh at you when you thought you were dying from a fall that knocked the wind out of you, or send you back into a wrecked car that he had just moments before announced was "going to blow"? A man, that, after finding out you had shot yourself in the leg, and was scared to death he was either going to kill you, or even more scary, take your guns away, just looked at you and said, "Learn anything from this?" and that was the end of it.

Well, if you knew my dad, you would expect all of the above, as they are absolutely true.

My dad taught me how to be a man. How that whining got you no where. Cheaters never prosper. Honesty is always best. Clich?, I know, but he taught me, more than John Wayne, that " A man's gotta do, what a man's gotta do" My dad never backed down from a threat. My dad always did what he had to do to get by, and make ends meet. My dad taught me the love and use of guns, fishing gear and such. My dad taught me that men can cook. In his case, badly, but still...

My dad stood strong at the death of my mother. He stood beside me at the illness and death of my first wife. He told me, and I still remember, "There will be better days". And there were.

My dad was, and is always there for me. He always wanted the best for me. There were time when he was proud, and times, I regret, when he wasn't, so much. I can say that his approval always has, and still does, mean a lot to me.

This man was, and still is tough as nails. As I said before, I've never seen him back down from a threat, never seen him look the other way where there was a need. Yet I've seen him cry over the death of several dogs, and more than one horse. (don't worry, Dad. I won't tell. Ooops...)

If ever I make half a good a father, and man, as my father, it would be a great surprise to me. I love you, Dad. Always have, always will.

You're still an *, though, for those electric fence, acorn and green persimmon stunts. You know you'd do it again, if you had the chance. And, I'd likely let you.

Dan
  • Options
    edited November -1
    He was the nicest most gentle person i have ever met. I have never seen him mad. Upset but not mad.

In my junior year in high school we lost the state championship game. I did not have my best game. When we got back home most of our team got drunk. It was my first time drinking. My friend drove me home and was a tackle he held me up by the back of my shirt. My dad asked if i drove and he told my dad that i gave him my keys and told him to give me a ride home.

The game was Friday night and Sunday i am still throwing up. I heard Mom ask Dad if i was going to be punished. He told her i punished myself enough. LOL

I can still recall every time i disappointed him. He never said anything but would just give me a look. Or ask me a question like what if that was your wife. I told him i was staying with a friend and spent the night with a 1 night separated lady. When i got home all he asked me was what if that was my wife.

I remember telling him one time when i was 12 or 13 i hated him. Its amazing i can not remember hardly anything anymore and i remember that.

I miss him so much.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,625 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you for sharing the story.....

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Liberals....
  • Options
    airborneairborne Member Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Definitely took your story to heart, thanks for sharing.

B - BreatheR - RelaxA - AimS - SightS - Squeeze
  • Options
    tin22tin22 Member Posts: 731 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very true Prescott Pete. I'm sorry for your loses.

The Power of Forgivness and love.
  • Options
    tin22tin22 Member Posts: 731 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:
    Very true Prescott Pete. I'm sorry for your loses.

The Power of Forgivness and love.
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pete,
    That was great, thanks for sharing.

As a father with a second chance, I never realized how much of my childrens lives (now 20 & 22) I'd missed out on until I re-married and we were blessed with a child when I was 42. Now at 44, I try to remember little things about my older children that Abby (20 months) is now going through ... most of them I don't remember because I wasn't there or didn't take notice ... memories work both ways, never take them for granted.

=================================
    The only bad thing about choosing a Kimber ...
    ... there are so darn many models to choose from!
    kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Good story Prescott Pete. I had a simular relationship with my father, but we were best friends and true buddies. He would disipline me when it was called for, but it was always fair and fit the crime. I can honestly say, we never had a cross word. I lost him to the ravages of diabetis at age 54, and I miss him as much today as I did the day he died.

Count use as the lucky ones to have been blessed with fathers who knew hard work and how to love their family. Mine passed his values and dreams on to me, and I'm doing the best I can to uphold them. Hope you are too.

Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!