In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading G.I . 223 Brass

buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2008 in General Discussion
I was inspecting some of my fired 223 G.I. brass that I loaded a while back.It was shot from a bolt action rifle.Some of the primers were flattened and a couple were pierced that indicated that the loads were too hot.From what I understand GI brass is thicker which gives it less capicity than standard brass.How much should I back off? I was loading 27 grains of Hodgen BLC-2, 55 grain bullets and CCI small mag. primers.

Comments

• Options
    11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best way to tell G.I. brass is by the stamp on the rim. Every single 5.56 NATO case has a circle with a cross in it.

223-xm193-2.jpg
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The loading manuals recommend backing off 10% with the powder when using military brass.... so 2.7 grains should do it.

The mag primers might have something to do with it. I reload all my 5.56 & .223 with small rifle primers.
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Perforated primers are a sign that you are WAY off on your loads. You need to double check everything down to the weight of the bullet and the type of powder. If you perforate a primer, you are one step away from disaster!
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The load data I have starts BLC-2 with a 55gr at 26.5 grains and maxes it at 28.0 grains. Do you think there could be another problem? Maybe try a different brand of small rifle primer. Make sure that the primers are seated down completely, and that you don't have to ream the primer pocket on the brass or something?

Have you attempted to use the same load in the same rifle with a different brass, and do you get the same results?
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Try inserting a bullet in the neck of those fires cases. It should slide easily into the case.

If not..you will have to turn those necks.
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where is KEVD18?[;)]
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Laredo Lefty
    The mag primers might have something to do with it.

The general rule is mag primers are equal to and extra .5 grains of powder in the load.