In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Anyone ever run for/held a political office?

Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Just something I've thought about, based on the theory that it is better to try to do something to effect real change than to just sit around and complain about it.

Third party candidate?

Comments

• War Pig ActualWar Pig Actual Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't recognize the laws of this land.
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by War Pig Actual
    I don't recognize the laws of this land.

You don't recognize the Constitution?
  • War Pig ActualWar Pig Actual Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was talking about California.
  • RtWngExtrmstRtWngExtrmst Member Posts: 7,456
    edited November -1
    Its inaccurate to say I hate everything.. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office. H.L. Mencken
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by War Pig Actual
    I was talking about California.

Your misfortune..

Anyhow, back to my original post....
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not me, although a number of folks here have mentioned that I should run for a local office.

I think we really need this, if it is the right person.
    I am not the right person for that job, as I do not have the ability to be "sensitive" enough in this "enlightened" age.

If you are thinking of it,......go for it![:D]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Saxon PigSaxon Pig Member Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In 1998 I ran for mayor in a small town in Utah. Had no chance and knew it. Incumbent had held the office for like 25 years (reason I ran as nobody else had bothered to challenge him for past 15 years). Spent $100 on campaign and got 23% of the vote.

Filed to run for state legislature two years later but state required party affiliation and I wanted to run as a Libertarian but they would not endorse me unless I signed a statement guaranteeing how I would vote on certain issues. Leader of the Utah Libertarian Party was a total and complete dick (I'm surprised he's not a member on this forum... no pun intended)and I withdrew.

BTW- The Libertarians did not see the irony in their demands that candidates have no liberty.
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    warpig883 is/was a mayor in the town he lives in, as for myself around here its a joke to even try to be an aldermen
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301
    Not me, although a number of folks here have mentioned that I should run for a local office.

I think we really need this, if it is the right person.
    I am not the right person for that job, as I do not have the ability to be "sensitive" enough in this "enlightened" age.

If you are thinking of it,......go for it![:D]

Thanks, man....[:D]

I guess I should have specified I was asking for individual experiences, with an eye toward possible....
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Saxon Pig
    In 1998 I ran for mayor in a small town in Utah. Had no chance and knew it. Incumbent had held the office for like 25 years (reason I ran as nobody else had bothered to challenge him for past 15 years). Spent $100 on campaign and got 23% of the vote.

Filed to run for state legislature two years later but state required party affiliation and I wanted to run as a Libertarian but they would not endorse me unless I signed a statement guaranteeing how I would vote on certain issues. Leader of the Utah Libertarian Party was a total and complete dick (I'm surprised he's not a member on this forum... no pun intended)and I withdrew.

BTW- The Libertarians did not see the irony in their demands that candidates have no liberty.

The Libertarian party is a "party" in, and of itself.
    They can't seem to get their "stuff" together.

Many of my beliefs mesh with theirs, but then again several do not.
    The biggest reason that I shy away is not because they are a third party, it is simply because of the type things you mentioned.

I don't believe they have the capability to be "ready for prime-time" or so it seems. I hope that changes at some point, if we are still here.
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,697 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've never been able to master the Perp Walk, so I've never seriously considered running for a political office!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Old-Colts
    I've never been able to master the Perp Walk, so I've never seriously considered running for a political office!

Wimp![:0][:D]
  • scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    I would run for office in a heart beat but I have not lived an outwardly moral life, Been divorced 3 times is the worst of it still it would be brought up every time I got my name on a ballot.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by scottm21166
    I would run for office in a heart beat but I have not lived an outwardly moral life, Been divorced 3 times is the worst of it still it would be brought up every time I got my name on a ballot.

Why should that stop you?
    I could write endlessly about politicos we have now that have most likely done far more than you.

I was speaking about "ability" and "attitude" concerning myself.

If you feel capable of handling the BS,.....I say go for it.
    This is what we truly need.
    edited November -1

Oh heck, what's two, three divorces? However, if you were a tax evader, you would have a seat on Cabinet.[:I]
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 26,029 ******
    edited November -1

Yeah, you'd be at least three votes in the hole before the election even started!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rcrxs old lady

Oh heck, what's two, three divorces? However, if you were a tax evader, you would have a seat on Cabinet.[:I]

Just be sure to use TurboTax incorrectly for at least 3 years in a row,.........and also be able to say that you "really" thought that your kids summer camp expenditures were deductible as business expenses. You are now qualified to be Secretary of the Treasury!
    edited November -1
    Love of God! I'm being serious here. (for once)[:)]

What good is all the griping unless we have members who are willing to step up to the plate?

It seems we all have excuses, so much to outweigh our conviction...[:(]
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,669 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Love of God! I'm being serious here. (for once)[:)]

What good is all the griping unless we have members who are willing to step up to the plate?

It seems we all have excuses, so much to outweigh our conviction...[:(]

I am going to run for the Rutland Ohio township trustee next election. My goal is to get at least one pot hole fixed right during my first term.
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    I've been a city councilman for our little town for 10 yrs.

You really have to keep reminding yourself that you are there to do good. It's a frustrating, thankless job. No-one ever notices the good you do.

I believe the city is better for my involvement. If I believed differently, I would resign in a heartbeat.
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,504 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have no communication skills I don't think you can run for office posting smileys and +1
  • CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,298 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just something I've thought about, based on the theory that it is better to try to do something to effect real change than to just sit around and complain about it.

Third party candidate?

My uncle is a county sheriff. I can't say he is a narcissist, but his son sure is.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never ran but have supported several I believed in
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Joe DreesJoe Drees Member Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I ran for mayor last winter. Interesting experience.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Captplaid

Third party candidate?

My uncle is a county sheriff. I can't say he is a narcissist, but his son sure is.

Surely you aren't calling me out as a narcissist.

I'm just saying that all the griping in the world doesn't amount to a mound of crap unless you are willing to do something about it.

Not me necissarilly. We have far more intelligent and insightful members than me on this board.
  • tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by savage170
    I have no communication skills I don't think you can run for office posting smileys and +1

you'll do fine...they give you an avatar[;)][:D]
  • slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    I'd conmsoder trimmonmgh mht my stance on mnotiortes would sink me!
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,504 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This might be a problem
    [img][/img]skeletons.jpg
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    years ago ran for county commissioner in my district...was defeated but garnered 34% of vote....winner got 37%...several have wanted me to file again but i don't know now that i want to be committed for 4 years...interesting job as i don't owe anybody anything & have no political obligations to reward....
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    I was Co-Captain of the football team in HS.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    The Republican National Committee asked me to run for State Senate in WV...I replied with "Are you as crazy as you look?". I think I would find myself on the wrong side of the bars if I had to deal with those weasels every day.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I've also been asked by quite a few folks to run for Mayor of our little town...I don't want any part of it.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK- a serious reply. Look around where you live. A good starting point may be serving on some of public commissions. Parks, Public Safety, Planning Commission, Zoning Commission, etc. No pay, and a fair amount of actual work. However, it is stuff that does need doing- and gets you some experience in dealing with politics- as well as getting known in the community. Later, look at local offices- board of supervisors, town council, etc. Frankly, local and state offices can have more impact of the average person than the US Senate does. Does make for a good hobby, does suck up more time than you think it will- but gives you chance to do something to benefit your community.
  • Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1fan
    warpig883 is/was a mayor in the town he lives in, as for myself around here its a joke to even try to be an aldermen

I was on the council for 6 years. 3 of them were as Mayor.

It is a thankless job and I would have a hard time saying the benefits are greater than the headaches.

I do know one thing-It was only a small podunk South Dakota town but it gave me a WHOLE NEW PERSECTIVE on elected officials. I am not quite so fast to pass sentence anymore when there is something questionable about an elected public servant's actions.

I would rather do it in a big town than a small one that is for sure.
  • slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Spent 4 years on my local school board in the early '90. Did not get re-elected mainly because I would not sit down and shut up and "go along" with the majority. I acomplishew what I set out to do, which was to get rid of the Supreintendent. Drove the guy nuts in 2 years. He retired early rather than put up with me and the trouble I gave him. The neat part was that he never saw it coming and had no idea what had happened. I got to help pick his successor and got a prety good man. The experience convinced me that I could not lie, cheat, and steal well enough to be a successful politician. What I did prove was that one person can make a difference and acomplish something if he is determined, has reasonable intelegence, and a little patience.
  • Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    I am neither articulate enough, nor have the pedigree. One would only need to research my posts on here to kill any chance I would have at a political career. In addition I also have this crazy need to EARN my living, and leeching off of taxpayers year after year would not be an attractive alternative. Too many years on the wagon and you would lose touch with reality, and the normal struggles associated with the everyday working person imho
  • penetraitorpenetraitor Member Posts: 3,870
    edited November -1

Third party candidate?

I'm third party for the people as they are. But you know as well as I do the Government will never allow for that.
    I'd say screw all exprotation of any kind of the American $$
    As well as screw all importation of foreign oils.

Largest Oil field known to man lyes between canada Montana to Minn. over to Mile high.

Or is that for a future war I'm prepin for?
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was asked recently to run for Mayor of our small town. Corruption jailed the last ones. I was also asked to sit on the bench as a Magistrate a few years back to hear cases in small claims court. This was an appointed position. Honored but not interested.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,358 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I ran for City Council in Satellite Beach, Florida back in the early 80s. Won in a landslide with about 80% of the votes, because my platform was that I had no axe to grind for anyone, was not beholding to anyone and had the city's best interests at heart.

There were too many issues to discuss that I helped win (and none of them of any interest to anyone here). But I can agree with one comment above: you cannot begin to understand the job unless you have held it. There truly are next to no options open to you to solve most problems, either due to overriding laws, budget or both. Not only is there no room to wiggle, you can hardly vibrate.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was elected as an alternate delegate to the last RNC for my congressional district, but I didn't go because the GOP wanted to charge me $300 admission plus make me stay in their expensive hotel.

Why should I pay $300, I was frickin elected! And the last thing I want to do is give the GOP another dollar.