In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Re: Speeding Tickets

nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,062 ******
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
0311 Marine reminded me of something. There are boneheads in the world. Here is the story of one.

I was driving south on a wide, smooth, well-paved street with a 30 mph limit. Seeing drivers at 38-40 mph is not at all unusual on this street, but I don't usually start paying attention until they hit 15 mph over.

On my dash was a moving radar with front and rear antennae.

I met this Corvette running 44 mph. It quickly slowed to 40 and went by me. On a whim, I flipped the switch to the rear antenna and saw the Vette accelerate away from me. 47, 49, 51 mph.

I turned around and met a man who was late to meet his mother for lunch. I guess he figured once he got past me he was safe.

"Sign here please. It is not an admission of guilt."

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net

Comments

• Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    Here's another 'bonehead speeder' story that happened back in the mid 70's.

Back then, most Sheriff's Offices, at least in Georgia, did not run Radar. Simply put, most Sheriffs, being elected officials, did not want the headaches and chances of 'losing votes' by their Deputies issuing radar speeding tickets. If we wrote a speeding ticket we had to 'pace' the speeder.

I'm in a marked SO car, lights on top, the whole works, driving on a 4 lane limited access highway. (like an interstate, but not designated as an interstate) This guy passes me, 'blowing my doors off.' So I pace him, seeing he's going at least 85, in a 55!

I turned on my blue lights to stop him. He kept going and just when I was about to call in a refusal to stop/chase, he pulled over.

His reason for not even slowing down when he saw my patrol car?

"I thought local cops couldn't stop you for speeding on a 4 lane."

"If they won't give us good terms, come back and we'll fight it out."
    -- Gen. James Longstreet
  • RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    truckbar.gif

RUGER.jpg

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." -- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    [:D][:D][:D] Did he thank you for teaching him a lesson? [:D][:D][:D]

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    For lunch? She wasn't in the hospital with a rare disease and she could go at any minute? His house wasn't on fire? He hadn't the DT's? The accelerator wasn't stuck? No imagination!
    I bet you hear some good ones. I got stopped about 5 years ago, going 40 in a 35. The officer asked me at the window,"do you know how fast you were going"? I said-"yes-40, you got me". I guess this amazed him, he let me go!
    [:0]
  • crims40crims40 Member Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A long time ago I used to ride around with an Arizona Highway Patrol friend of mine. He had a device installed in his cruiser called VASCAR.....any of you old timers remember what that stood for and how it worked?
    edited November -1
    Got pulled over when I was 17 for 37 in a 25 and told the cop that I just wasn't paying attention. He told me to take it as a lesson and pay better attention when I was driving. No ticket. Taught me that telling the truth was better than a good lie.[;)]

• Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    VASCAR worked like this:

1. A certain area on the highway is measured and marked, usually with white paint stripes.
    2. The officer watches the highway, pushing a button on his VASCAR as the car passes the first stripe, and again when it passes the second stripe.
    3. VASCAR then tells the officer the speed of the car.

VASCAR was wide open for officer abuse. It's not used anymore, as far as I know.

So I'm an 'old timer' huh?

"If they won't give us good terms, come back and we'll fight it out."
    -- Gen. James Longstreet
  • crims40crims40 Member Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:D][:D] Bingo! I thought I might have stumper with this one.....guess not. [}:)][:D] Rebel_James...I guess you don't have to be an old timer to know this one, but it helps.
    Wait! You didn't tell me what the initials stood for.....? [:D][:D][:D]
  • CFPythonCFPython Member Posts: 413 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always enjoy stopping the people from metro areas of New
    England and New Jersey. They'll blow past a marked unit like it's not there, then want to argue that we can't give them a ticket cause we're "just a sheriff". Seems in Connecticut and some areas of NJ, sheriff's only serve civil papers and don't do law enforcement. Down here we don't have 'state police' (just a Highway Patrol). The sheriff down here is the chief law enforcement officer in the county. Sign at the bottom, and press hard, you're making five copies.

The only thing worse than lawbreakers, are lawmakers.
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CFPython, thank you for not referring to them as "Yankees" - they aren't! I don't have a poof-proof name for them, but "Yankees" they ain't . . . most of the "Yankees" I know drive at or below the limit and some have even received warnings for going too slow!

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain)
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SaxonPig
    I may hold the record for the worst speed violation to get a warning.

Well, that ones got me beat for sure![:D]