In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Getting youngsters started shooting

anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in General Discussion
I can't find the discussion about what shotgun to use in getting a youngster started (in spite of the fact that I read it yesterday). But I would like to say that my Dad started me with a single shot Whippet 20 Ga. when I was eight or nine years old. I got pretty good on clays at that age ... even the long shots when Dad thought I was wasting ammo.He also taught me how to be careful with it, and to this day no one ever looks into the end of my barrel.During hunting season I carried my BB gun until I could legally hunt with a shotgun. When I was 'nuff growed up I carried my 20 Ga. and used it a lot. Until he got me a 20 Ga. double barrel - had heaven begun early! And I still use the same Belgian DB ... works fine for me. The point ... a 20 Ga. was not too big for me and now it is not too small. Just a nice light shotgun for everything.I agree that the .410 might be discouraging for a beginner unless he is very patient and gets to practice a lot and becomes a very good and quick shot.Bonne Chasse!
Ken

Comments

• Options
    bfairbfair Member Posts: 250 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A 20 or 28 ga is good for starting kids even better if you have a youth model so the stock fits properly. I started with a 410 Stevens single barrel and 16 that kicked like mule. There was just never enough shot in the 410 even for rabbits up close, and it was not legal for waterfowl so the forced me to the 16. But got a Fox 20 Double when I was 15. If I were going to buy for a youngster today I would look for 28 ga double.
    When you come to a fork in the road...Take itSemper Paratus
  • Options
    simonbssimonbs Member Posts: 994
    edited November -1
    AnderSK, I think that thread was on the Want Ads board.
  • Options
    timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I started with a .410, and I've taken more game with that than anything else, I have a special fondness for .410's, owning 4 right now, but my 10 year old can shoot it without even flinching, so I will start him out with a 20 ga. pump, with one shell his first legal age season. I think the fact that he will kill more game will override any kick factor. Who feels the kick when you're shooting at live game? He's a muscular little dude, too.
  • Options
    KadaverKadaver Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I started with a .410 bolt action with a full choke (grandpa couldnt find the others) and that was very frustrating.....i soon got a 20ga. pump......Have had it for about 10 years now (im 22) and love it. It's the youth model so the stock is a bit shorter and the pump comes further toward me then my dads full size. He wants my youth, it only weights like 5 pounds. I have taken many a bird with that baby. And it will be my sons.(when i get one that is)[This message has been edited by Kadaver (edited 09-07-2001).]
  • Options
    simonbssimonbs Member Posts: 994
    edited November -1
    Timberbeast,Your right about the difference in felt recoil from target shooting and shooting game.Sounds like You got Yourself a huntin' buddy comin' along there. Congratulations.