In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What's makes the best Hunting Knife?

RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in General Discussion
There are lots of ideas about what makes the best Hunting Knife.....Blade length?Blade shape?Lock back or one piece?Skinning?Splitting rib cages or pelvic bones?Big Game or small game....same knife?Ceramic-vs-steel?What are you're thoughts and experiences?

Comments

• Options
    concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good question. For deer hunting I like a no-flex blade that holds a good edge even when abused. I prefer a rubber grip, or one that is non-slip when covered with blood. I also prefer the solid, non-folding variety. The knife I've been using for the last couple of years is an inexpensive 4 1/4" Remington Clip Blade with a stainless steel blade.I've also had great experiences with Gerber knives. They too hold a nice edge.For fishing I really like the Rapala knives, they flex just enough for a clean fillet and they can be honed to a razor sharp edge. The new synthetic handles are also nice (the wood handles will slowly degrade from dishwashers).
  • Options
    Trader DaveTrader Dave Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used many different knives for all types of fishing and hunting (small to large game). When comparing knives I have found you must separate fishing from hunting types. They serve different aspects totally. In the past I have been big on "Buck". Case also has been wonderful, however as times have changed with new manufacturers, I have gone exclusively to Spyderco. Case knives still hold their value but my Spyderco with half plain edge , half serrated has been the best knife I have ever used. This knife holds a very sharp edge a long time and fills all of my needs. It is well worth the money. I can clean a deer with that knife alone. Sharp edge for skinning and cutting and the serrated edge for sawing through tough areas and some bone.Using only my Spyderco knives, I have now put up all of my others for safe storage.BTW - When I first heard about Spyderco knives I was very skeptical. Thought it was only a fad or the "in thing" to have. After using one I changed my mind. I did the same thing with Glock when they first came out, now nothing compares. Good Luck my friend with whatever you choose.
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used a nice Buck folder unti I lost it. Bummer it was a nice knife.Now I have a Gerber fixed blade (PH something) it works great, and I think I'm getting to like the fixed blade better.Bonne Chasse!
    Ken
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used a nice Buck folder unti I lost it. Bummer it was a nice knife.Now I have a Gerber fixed blade (PH something) it works great, and I think I'm getting to like the fixed blade better.Bonne Chasse!
    Ken
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    Rem,my dad probably killed and skinned more gators for the illegal hide trade than any man that ever lived,from the 30s up until 1969,the only knife I ever saw him use was a little brown Barlow pocket knife.He always had a small stone in the same pocket.
    Will the last reb to leave flarda,please bring the flag?
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A sharp one. I use a little knife with a 2 and a half inch blade to gut everything from suirrel, turkey rabbits , and deer. I do have another knife that I keep in a sheath, which serves two purposes. One, I use it for a tree stand emergency. If I am dangling by a safety strap, I like to have a knife readily available in case I have to cut myself down. I also use it to cut around the rectum area on a deer, because I do not want to contaminate the meat with any fecal matter. I do not like to use the same knife to cut the deer open that I use to cut around the rectum.
  • Options
    timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carry one pocketknife at all times. My daughter has given me so many that I lose count. When I hunt deer, I use a Buck Pathfinder for the rear area work, and a 4" folding blade Buck for the ribcage and windpipe, etc. I use a two-bitted axe to split the pelvic area after I get the deer back to camp. Always wanted a Gerber, haven't gotten one yet. I sharpen with a round stone, I have several that the old-timers left at my shack before their passing. I can shave with my knives. (then again, with the fuzz I grow, I could probably shave with a butter knife!) A hint: tie the bowel into a knot after cutting around the *, saves a lot of trouble and mess!
  • Options
    .280 freak.280 freak Member Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beast - Do you always tie your bowel in a knot before shaving? Seems like too much trouble. Ever considered just growing a beard? Sorry, just couldn't resist!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    .280,that was far out,man!,Oh man,that was funny!
    Will the last reb to leave flarda,please bring the flag?
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    280 freak- Im with you. I sure would grow a beard if I had to keep tying my bowels up whenever I wanted to shave.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What`s groin` a beard, and shavin` a deer got to do with each other???
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a Gerber folding unit called the bolt action. Has 3 interchangeable blades...regular knife, hook blade, saw blade. Have cleaned nearly 40 deer and antelope with it. Has about a 3 1/4" long blade. I once used a longer fixed blade but went for a more compact unit. Have never tied off the * or cut around the opening. Use Gerber's folding saw to cut the pelvic bone, then cut the wind pipe and pull everything through to the tail. Can gut an animal in under 2 minutes. Saw a fellow use this technique in Wyoming, couldn't believe how fast he got it done. He made it look like the animal had a zipper on it's belly. Recently got a Benchmade knife with a 4" blade, really nice unit. I'll use it this fall.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have worn a beard for over twenty years. Imagine the wear and tear I have saved on bowels... I use a 4.5 inch Kershaw drop point and keep a .3.5 inch version of the same handy. I can do most any field dressing/skinning chores with the two, and have for over 15 years. I carry a 2 3/8 inch case stockman all the time. Handy, but the Cases don't hold an edge like the Kershaw'do.
  • Options
    ghotie_thumperghotie_thumper Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For gutting, the smaller 2" blades work well. Keeps you from cutting the fingers when cutting blind spots. I've got a friend who made knives for a while, made me a nice one that usually stays sharp from start to finish on a deer. It helps if you can avoid cutting too much hair. I got my son one of the buck knives with the gut hook. We've used it on hogs and deer. It works pretty slick but isn't a necessity. When skinning I'll keep a couple knives available in case a friend shows up and wants to help but forgot his at home. I never knot the bowels myself, I try to leave that sort of thing alone. Almost forgot, I use a short Wyoming saw for cutting the pelvic bone and also for butchering after hanging a deer for a few days. I keep a schrade honesteel on the belt with the knife in case a touch up is necessary. I use a ceramic to touch up the filet knives, they seem to work better on the thin blades. [This message has been edited by ghotie_thumper (edited 09-10-2001).]
  • Options
    shaneshane Member Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carry a Puma folding knife with me everywhere. When I hunt I carry a Buck with about a 5 inch fixed blade. I don't know if you would consider either of those perfect hunting knives but they work good for me.
  • Options
    The ButcherThe Butcher Member Posts: 160 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a fixed blade Gerber, with a slim drop point blade of about four inches. It's the one with the armor hide or aluminum handle painted green. I never cut or go through bone, until the animal is home or at camp. I start by making a little incision where the belly makes a point at the rear of the animal. I insert two finger, with the knife between them, and the tips pushing up and forward. I slowly slide my fingers forward toward the breast bone, until contact is made. I cut around the diaphram, reach up grab the windpipe, and cut. Go to the rear of the animal, cut around the *. When this is complete, and the intestine is free, I use a garbage or wire bread tie. Twist around the unit, to keep unwanted matter from back flushing into the animal. give a tug from the inside, and presto everything is free. Pull guts out in one easy motion. Roll animal onto stomach, spread legs to prop up. and let drain a few minutes. Now all you have is a small opening, and leaves, dirt and flies can't get to the meat, caused by splitting from stem to stern. A hatchet or saw can be used for this, but not my knife. A couple of swipes on the steel, followed by a couple on a strop, and it stays like a razor. I do realize that people in the west, have to get the animal cooled faster. I have shot mule deer, and antelope, and did things about the same, but took the hide off right away. The knife has to be big enough for the chore at hand. Maybe if Elk size game was the norm, I'd opt for a larger knife. Although, I think mine would work fine.