In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

feed plots and supplements

thebutcherthebutcher Member Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
edited January 2002 in General Discussion
I am planning on planting a few feed plots (for whitetails) on some land in NY. I will probably plant two small plots on the property. I have been reading up on it and I was thinking of planting a mixture of ladino clover and birds foot trefoil. What works for you guys? Any advice?Also, I am looking to put out a mineral pit. Does anyone have ideas for what supplements are any good?
The definition of an "expert":An "X" is an unknown quantity and a "spurt" is a drip under pressure.

Comments

• Options
    OrphanedcowboyOrphanedcowboy Member Posts: 351 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you can contact your local wildlife management officer or the state run agricultural office, they have bioligist they pay for this, I had them out this past week, took soil samples, and looked at what game I had and printed me a novel on what all I needed to do, and the best part it was free!
    Orphanedcowboy@msn.com www.texdeer.com www.Orphanedcowboy.com
  • Options
    concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I plant clover and alf alfa in Northern (lower penninsula) Michigan. We also have a lot of oaks that provide natural acorns. The deer love it!Also, we put out a salt lick all year where we can watch the deer from the cabin. Just make sure you keep in mind any laws in your area regarding baiting if you plan on hunting the area.Oh, also, as cowboy pointed out your soil and environment (moisture, elevation, etc.) will largely determine what will grow well in your specific area.
    Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT Criminals
  • Options
    ClairClair Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been planting ladino clover for a few years, now. The deer love it.
  • Options
    ysacresysacres Member Posts: 294 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not up on the food plot, because in my area the deer get enough grain from the fields. But a mineral pit, I have experimented with and have had good results. 1 bag Di-calcium phosphate1 bag trace mineral salt1 bag iodized salt1 bag klin dried salt1 bag trace mineral wt/ seleniumYou might need to order the bag of Di-Cal from your local feed store. the other salts are not as important ,it's like sugar in your coffee. any salt will do, 4-1 ratio makes the phosphate taste goodI mix it up into 5 gal buckets by pouring back & forthThen dig a hole in the ground large enough to hold the 5 gal, salt the hole, and shovel the dirt on top, mixing the dirt and salt.[This message has been edited by ysacres (edited 01-05-2002).]