In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

computer help asap

headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
my computer wont let me on the internet for more than like 10 minutes. Its not my connection because my instant messenger still works. the page loads and lets me on but after a while the page loads a page cannot be found message comes up what can i do

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy

Comments

• gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    Empty your history, files and cookies to start.

Larry
  • nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you got "The Bug".

Try Trend Housecall.

Nord
  • daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    Mine did that once. I cleared cookies, ran scandisk and defrag,then re-booted. You may consider a firewall.(mho)
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    i emptied it nothing happened still same problem this happened before and i forgot what to do i think bambi helped me out

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm about the last person who should be offering advice, but I have this happen frequently and the cure for me is to clear the cache (Netscape) or temporary Internet files (Explorer) and history, then re-boot. I discovered a few months back that some files seem to have a way to stay in the system even after running the "delete temporary files" action under "Tools - Internet Options" menu of Explorer. This seems to have begun about six months ago, but by the time I discovered it, there was about 100 MB of stuff which the browser settings just skipped over. Had to go into the directories and manually delete them. Now I grit my teeth and do it once a week when I back up the system . . . one more hoop to jump through . . . thanks, Billy! Oh, and every 'puter guru, tech and more advanced user tells me to install XP rather than my present Win98 2nd Ed. because the memory management on the latter can cause this sort of problem. I'm headed down that road soon.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain)
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can also try going into your settings and changing the value where it says to hang up after some period of inactivity. Depending on what ISP software you are using, it may need to be re-set too because some ISPs reduce the amount of traffic on their site by setting their software to hang up with inactivity. This is a real hassle if one is into downloading large files. That can sometimes be changed or overridden.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • REBJrREBJr Member Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sounds like the MS BLASTER worm. in-laws computer did same deal.
    -Ralph

In the demonstable absence of evolutionary perfection, if some calamity is not to occur, we shall have to learn to live with ourselves as we are. Fast. -Tattersall