In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

First Rifle

endure270endure270 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited September 2003 in General Discussion
We are looking to purchase a first rifle for my younger brother. We have finally settled on .308 as a caliber, but are up in the air about the specific make and model of gun to purchase. Budget is a concern, so we have primarily been considering stainless/synthetic options from Ruger, Tikka, and Howa. Any information or recommendations that could be provided in regard to how these rifles compare, advantages, disadvantages, overall quality, and accuracy would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    endure270endure270 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Im 18 and looking to buy my first rifle or pistol, Im looking for input on what I should get. whats a good first gun?
  • Options
    Stormtrooper 13Stormtrooper 13 Member Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I ain't no rifle expert . There are a lot of people here that can tell you . What I can tell you is the 308 is a sweet caliber . My first high power was a model 88 308 loved it . Not much recoil . Good balistics .
    My opinion is to go with the Ruger .

Welcome to the forums . [:D]

qman_lr_105t.jpg

Only the strong shall survive !!!
  • Options
    BufflerBuffler Member Posts: 821 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take a look at the Savage rifles,great for the price.
    BE SAFE!! Buffler
  • Options
    longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Buffler
    Take a look at the Savage rifles,great for the price.
    BE SAFE!! Buffler

Yup.......
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ditto Model 112/w/Accu-trigger Heavy Brl, Vary accurate, and a good open plains gun. You will not be lacking anything. Only down fall is the weight, about 12 pounds. A tack driver out of the box. [:D]

The Rem. 700 is also a good choice for the price.

hsas157x100.gif
    gun1.gif

"I know Everything because
    my Wife is a Hair Stylist"
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    Savage has the most bang for the buck, hands down. $320 gets you a sporter that will out shoot any of the others out of the box.

My border collie is smarter than your honor student.
  • Options
    REBJrREBJr Member Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Take a look at the Savage rifles,great for the price

hafta agree there -Ralph

In the demonstable absence of evolutionary perfection, if some calamity is not to occur, we shall have to learn to live with ourselves as we are. Fast. -Tattersall