In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

kansas news (c&p)

hawkeye6020hawkeye6020 Member Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4160692/

By Jason Kravarik
KSNW-TV
Updated: 9:38 a.m. ET Feb. 05, 2004Feb. 4 - Kansas lawmakers are expected to introduce a bill that makes carrying guns legal. Getting it past the legislature may not be the hardest part, in fact, some think it will pass.

But the governor's desk may not be so friendly.

Governor Kathleen Sebelius favors concealed weapons for retired police officers only.

But a statehouse bill will go much further, allowing concealed weapons to those at least 21 with no felonies and no mental illness, drug or alcohol abuse in the past five years.

Also, anyone carrying a weapon must complete a safety course.

"We're concerned about it from a police department perspective," said Deputy Chief Tom Stoltz, Wichita Police Department.

Wichita Police says they don't support the bill, fearing accidental shootings and officer safety.

"Literally every call then becomes, instead of a disturbance or domestic violence, a disturbance or DV with a gun," said Stoltz.

Right now, Kansas is one of only five states that fully deny concealed carry.

"They don't really affect crime rates," said Brian Withrow, PhD, Wichita State University.

Withrow studied other states. He says, while individual cases may tell a story, the overall crime rates don't change.

"The rates of crimes are big numbers involving millions of people that live in a state. So the fact that you have only about 1,000 or 10,000 people licensed to carry firearms really doesn't affect the overall crime rate that much," said Withrow.

Still, a University of Chicago study found otherwise, with homicide, rape and assault all down in states with the law. But that study has been criticized.

"Unfortunately, crime went down every place during that period of time whether it had concealed carry law or not," said Withrow.

The Kansas proposal keeps concealed guns out of public buildings like courthouses and city halls. Businesses would have the option to post signs restricting guns.

We're told the bill could hit the statehouse early next week.

"It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others"

Comments

• Captain 241Captain 241 Member Posts: 377 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Start calling everyone you know. Get the word out fast. Call your Congressmen, Senators, papers, tv. Make noise for a passage.

If you need a Second Shot, YOU NEED MORE PRACTICE
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kick that * Sebelius out... She annoys me everytime I see her! Oh, and when this passes, don't forget reciprocity with other states (namely Oklahoma so I can carry up there when I frequent KS).
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bambihunter
    Kick that * Sebelius out... She annoys me everytime I see her! Oh, and when this passes, don't forget reciprocity with other states (namely Oklahoma so I can carry up there when I frequent KS).

I agree, because I would like to be able to carry when I return there.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • elect1mikeelect1mike Member Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm all for it I am thinking of moving to the land of ahhhhhhhs

col elect1mike Illinois
    volinters RRG
    I am a man but I can change if I have to,I guess.