In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How often do you?

NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
How often do you change the oil in your car? And what type oil do you use?Ive used Havoline 10W-30 on all my vehicles.The Chevy Dealership told me to bring my truck back after 3,000 miles for a free oil change then they recomend every 5,000 miles.The owners manuel said to change the oil every 8,000 miles.My wife's Honda Passport recommended the first oil change at 3,000 then every 10,000 miles.The Dodge we bought last month had 2,400 miles on it they changed the oil and washed it.I ask the mechanic about how often the oil should be changed in a vehicle?He said under normal circumstances every 10,000 miles,after the first oil change any more frequent was a waste of oil and money?Ive stuck to the every 5,000 miles on all of ours but I really wonder if that often is necessary?They want us to have the oil changed in our Cruiser every 10,000 miles.If Im getting the oil changed on three vehicles at half of whats necessary(5,000)Im blowing money for nothing when it will be fine at 10,000 miles.I do know the oil is still clean when I check it at around 5,000 miles,its hard to see on the dip stick.Any opinions on how often and what brand of oil do you use?

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"

Comments

• Supreme OneSupreme One Member Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello, never. For only $10.00 labor (the other stuff would cost me any way) some one will do the oil and filter change, AND grease the front end. Have fun buddy, here's my $10.00.

Michael

Paranoid keeps you alive, worry just gives you stomach problems.
    - .- -.- . / -- -.-- / .- -.. ...- .. ... . --..-- / .. .----. -- / -. --- - / ..- ... .. -. --. / .. - / .- -. -.-- .-- .- -.-- .-.-.-
    Politics- From the words poly, meaning many, and tics, which are just little blood suckers.
    .-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / .- / ... . -..- ..- .- .-.. .-.. -.-- / - .-. .- -. ... -- .. - - . -.. / -.. .. ... . .- ... . .-.-.-
    If "con" is the opposite of "pro," then what is the opposite of progress?
    sound
  • 925925 Member Posts: 441 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I add oil when it needs it and change the filter once a year 1 quart/500-800 miles 20 yo 100k truck
  • mark christianmark christian Member Posts: 24,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    LOTS of different opinions on this subject coming up! For my primary motorcycle (BMW K1200RS- 1.2 liter, inline 4 cylinder) I change the oil every 6,000 miles using 4 quarts of Mobil 1 15W50. My car (BMW 540i- 4.5 liter V-8) has a reccomended change intervol of 15,000 miles. I happen to think that this is a BMW marketing ploy and change the oil at 7,500 miles using 8 quarts of Mobil 1 10W/30...which still seems too light to me but the warranty is still in effect and this is what is called for by BMW. My small air cooled 650cc BMW motorcycle gets its oil changed every 2,500 miles with 2.5 quarts of Castrol GTX 20W-50...or whatever oil happens to be on sale in that weight. Oil is cheap but engines are not and I'd prefer to drain perfectly good oil out of the engine too soon as opposed to leaving old oil inside the engine too long.

Mark T. Christian
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Twice a year, which for the average driver is every 6,000 miles I hear. I change in the fall before the snow, and in the spring before the summer heat. I have seen my engines have problems when I don't follow the regimen, so I am convinced it does extend engine life a great deal to remove worn out oil and replace with oil that has its properties intact. I used to avoid replacing the oil unless it was low, and I always wound up with "blow-by" as a result.

I also no longer play around with different viscosities -- I follow the user manual to determine what's right for a given engine.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my wife's car and my lawn equipment, I use Castrol synthetic 20-50. I change the oil in the lawn equipment every spring. NEVER have had a problem or had to replace an engine. 8 years and counting. The car gets a change ever 3K.

In my cars, I use Castrol 40 wt. I perfer a monograde for older engines.
    The protection is better in our hot climate.
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on the driving being done, in your cruisers the oil should be changed alot more than every 10K, those cars idle alot and oil contamination is those engines will be high. NOTE: do not buy and VA state trooper cars[:D] In a car that sees alot of highway use 10K is alright, for a city car I would go with 5K and if a woman drives it then change every other day[:D][:D] Only oil thatgoes into my vehicles in Penzoil, I used to use Quaker State oil but all my vehicles seemed to use oil but not a drop of oil anywhere and not a puff of smoke, where the heck was that oil going?? I tore down a Chrylser 318 that had nothing but Quaker State in it and I founf the oil, caked inside the engine!!!!!! I use 10W-30 in the winter and 10W-40 in the summer.

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    About every 5000 miles. [8D]

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I change oil in all my vehicles at about 3,000 miles. An engine rebuilder recommended shorter intervals. Todays cars with EGR dirty up the oil a lot faster. I dont feel guilty about about a 3000 mile interval on the BMW motosickle that has no EGR system. The oil stays clean much longer.
    The motorhome gets greased according to the GM schedule which is about 3000 miles. I make sure to use Moly filled grease-a real dirty business.
  • deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I change the oil and filter in my Bronco every 3000 Miles, I average
    20K per year 80% of which is highway, My truck has over 290,000 miles on the clock and dont smoke or burn a drop of oil. To change your oil Over 4K miles is Nuts IMO under any driving condition. The oil and filter costs 12 bucks and an engine rebuild starts at $1,500.

use_deer.jpg
  • pantera7974pantera7974 Member Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i change mine every 1500-2000 miles with 10w-30 in winter and 10w-40 for summer, only because the blazer has 145,000+ on it and i just want her to last a while longer, mind you i had it for a year and only drove it 3500 miles in that year. the only reason i just changed it was because i went to check the oil and there was none on the dipstick, it has no major oil leaks and no major oil burning problems,must have been just enough usage to drop the level down.....oh well, life goes on.[:o)]

WELL AREN`T I JUST ONE BIG F`ING RAY OF SUNSHINE.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Castrol Syntec 5-50, 7500.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • earthmvrearthmvr Member Posts: 473 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've always lived by the rule 3 months or 3000 miles.

4dff19a9.gifc716f163.gif72d96bc6.jpg
    Proud member of the NRA and Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was
  • schotzi1schotzi1 Member Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the vehicle has 75,000 miles plus Valvoline Maxlife 20w50. 75,000 miles and under - Valvoline (reg) 10w40. EVERY 3000 miles reguardless of driving.....I am NO EXPERT but I was a mechanic for several years. (over 75,000 and noisy I add STP oil treatement)

Be responsible
    Be intelligent
    Be REPUBLICAN
  • ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have three cars,a 1996 Lincoln Cont,a 1994 Buick Century wagon & a 1985 AMC Eagle 4 door that I've had 19 years this Spring.I change the oil and filters (myself) every 3,000 miles or twice a year.
    [:)][^]

standard.jpg
    Limerick.gif
    It's my cat's world. I'm just here to open cans.

We got rid of the kids. The cat was allergic.

ATF,Eagle Guns
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cars and trucks, Spring and Fall. Valvoline 10-30.
    Bike every 2500-3000. Going to try synthetic next change.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
    edited November -1
    I don't do it any more, but I've had cars I put 130,000 miles on and never changed oil. Some only 60 or 80K, that was on cars I bought used. Never had a negative affect I felt, always ended up either collecting more than the car was worth due to insurance pay-off from a accident, or just sold the old junker for $500 or so.

In the past, my idea of an oil change was let the dipstick get to the E mark, and dump 3 quarts in it then.

Once was (years ago), when a car got to 100K miles, it wasn't worth much over $500 anyway, regardless of upkeep. Newer cars are good for much more than that.

Now, before you all jump all over me for gross neglect, figure all the money saved by not changing oil in the course of 130K miles. Have a couple of fender benders (not my fault) that paid market value for the car (just took the money and ran, never fixed it). Sold the car ('76 Toyota SR5 Pick-up)for $500 to a bodyshop owner. He fixed the body, and I'm sure he made plenty on it.

I don't do that anymore, change oil every 4 to 7K miles. But I still wonder if there's much reason for it. Chances are I won't own the car long enough to worry about it.

To err is human, to moo is bovine.
  • CWatsonCWatson Member Posts: 964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use non synthetic Castrol on my vehicles.I change oil and filter every 2500 miles.

I can not imagine going 5-10k without changing oil and filter because at my shop no matter what type of oil my personal or a customer's car has in it,if it has more than 3k it looks broke down and thinned.

Except for cars lost in accidents every car owned be me or my family(who service their cars at my shop)make it to well over 250k without any engine work at all.

CWatson

1.KILL EM' ALL AND LET ALLAH SORT EM' OUT!

2.NEVER WASTE MONEY ON SPRINGFIELD ARMORY!!
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try to every 3000, Mobil 1 Synthetic, 10w30

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifErie.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • snowtiggersnowtigger Member Posts: 273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Every 3,000 miles, 5w30 Havoline. That adds up to every four weeks. My last car (1990 Chevy Cavalier, 2.2 liter pushrod engine) Had 360,000 miles when I sold it. A year and a half later some kid managed to tear it up. Hope the Grand Am lasts as long...

It ain't what you shoot, it's what you hit.
  • robjacksrobjacks Member Posts: 749 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Every 4,0000 miles with pennzoil[:D]
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    I change mine every 3000 miles!

I can tell ya this the refinery here in Bradford, used to be Kendall, now is ARG, bottles oil for several brands! The same oil goes in each brand they bottle!

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

Kids that fish, hunt and trap have never mugged any old ladies!

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • hawkeye6020hawkeye6020 Member Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by pabooger
    I change mine every 3000 miles!

I can tell ya this the refinery here in Bradford, used to be Kendall, now is ARG, bottles oil for several brands! The same oil goes in each brand they bottle!

Most refineries do this. the additives in the oil are the main difference. I cange mine every 3000 miles and use trop-artic oil. I grew up pumping gas and changing oil in my dads "phillips 66" service station so i have just stuck with that brand. I have seen the insides of engines that ran most every brand of oil and the cleanest had run trop-artic. the worst had run penzoil.

"Life is not a journey to the grave wtih the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body,

But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming

-WOW- WHAT A RIDE!!!!!"
  • RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Every 3000 miles with Castrol GTX and do it myself after the quickie places stripped every thread they could find under the truck.

Castrol GTX -- DRIVE HARD!

RUGER.jpg

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Ben Franklin
  • BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    I run about 30,000 miles a year.
    Every 3-4 thousand,I just change the filter
    and top it off w/Mobil 1 10w30.Once a year
    I go ahead and do a complete change and start over.

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Every 3-4 thousand in the car Castrol 10-40
    Every 7,500 in the Cummins Rotella 15-40
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    every 2500-3000 miles & fit the largest filter possible with same specs..use napa 30w (valvoline) all year..allow warm up at idle in cold weather.because most engines have small filter (1/2 beer can)that bypass unfiltered at cold or high rpm..have run vehicles 270k and still run like new ...do my own service...better quality control
  • phxtravisphxtravis Member Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mobil 1 every 3,000 miles.

Desert Eagle .50AE
    Spring 1911-A1 Mil-Spec
    Cav Arms CAV-15 MKII(AR-15)
    Marlin/Glenfield Mod 60
    Mosin-Nagant M38
    banner-big.jpg
  • bolthandlebolthandle Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I change change the oil in my vehicles evry 3000 miles.

The hardest thing on oil is the short driven vehicle, they never get up to opperating temps and driving long enough to remove the water condensation that forms in the cold engine tring to warm up. They never get hot enough to remove it, so the oil starts turning to sluge after only a few thousand miles.

Most people have seen the white milky deposit on the oil filler when the take it off to add or change oil. Granted you might see a little of this in the winter, but to see this in the summer tells you the vehicles not being driven enough to eliminate this water in the oil.

The water will make the oil more acid thus breaking it down and wear on the engine is inevitable. Thats why the vehicle manufactures suggest changes every 3000 miles to keep the oil at an effective opperating state.
    People who drive for hours on end will make there oil last longer unless its in a dusty environment, then it needs to be changed at the manufactures suggested rate for this condition.

Bolt

PEACE THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER
  • crims40crims40 Member Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Every 3,000 miles, faithfully.
  • BlackieBoogerBlackieBooger Member Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Every three thousand miles.

"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, not liberty to purchase power."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1785
    123div.gif
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Soon as it starts to go from honey brown to gray/black. Depends on the kind of driving and the loads I'm pulling if any. Usually 1500 -2500 miles. It may seem exessive, but I get a lot of miles out of my engines.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Every 3,000 miles only. Not that 3 month thing either With valvoline 10w 40 ( Best oil made). When I bought my 2004 dodge stratus they told me that the man. now says 6,000. I still change it every 3,000 for all it costs!

Believe nothing that you hear and only one half of what you see!!

I'm Just One Man Talking!
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I change oil every 3,000 no matter what type of driving, highway or city. I use Penn 10w30 in my trucks and 5w30 in the car.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    every 3,000 or when it starts to look to dark

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    sealriverth.jpgdk_marinereconth.jpg
    SEMPER FI
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to everyone,I guess I will be changeing mine every 3,000 miles or so.

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have read numerous places that Pennzoil is pretty much the worst oil there is. I guess it also leaves some kind of stain on the engine parts.

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifErie.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • elect1mikeelect1mike Member Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    every 3000 miles. 20/50 Wolfs head in the truck. 10/30 castrol in the caddy.

col elect1mike Illinois
    volinters RRG
    I am a man but I can change if I have to,I guess.
    Tolono.gif