In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Are some states gouging non-resident hunters with high $ licenses?

RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in General Discussion
I find it interesting that in recent years many states are raising non-resident license fees while their residents hardly get increased at all. My state (Iowa) is no exception, resident deer tags are $25 while non-resident have jumped from $150 to over $300 for the same deer. I've hunted up to seven states in a single year....no more, these greedy bureacrats have priced me out of their states. Probably only hunt three this year. Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Comments

• Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    YesNew Mexico WAS where I hunted.License and fees went from $280 to $800.I guess they are getting what the market will bear.NM will never see a penny of mine again and They don't care.Now I hunt elk here in AR when possible.
  • Options
    turboturbo Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is just another way of taxing the USER.What's interesting is that the fees collected in all states for fishing and hunting are fixed on previous budgets, and all amounts collected pay for the known expenditures, the added fees are just another way of collecting extra income that provide these departments with SURPLUSES. And since collected fees can be manipulated to suit the acounting of departments, this extra $$$ doesn't figure into the next years budget setting, and is kept in the departments treasury.The Federal and State governments have no business collecting more than is needed for the running of the peoples business.This business of packing user fees, on top of the actual cost of running the government simply is illegal.It is done because people don't care.It seems to be generally accepted that to run a surplus is simply OK, When was the last time (before Pres. Bush's tax refund) anyone received a refund for overpayment of their taxes, from any state.In Kalifornia, when the present Gov. Davis took office, he came in riding a surplus of over $90,000,000 which he squandered to buy future electricity energy contracts over the next 20 odd years.Today, KA (the state) is selling surplus excess electrical power at penny's on the dollar. The surplus pffft has disappeared.Taxes will continue to rise, inspite of surpluses, so long as we put up with it..[This message has been edited by turbo (edited 09-10-2001).]
  • Options
    in2b8uin2b8u Member Posts: 115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    CO. raised its oos rates 2 years ago. The price almost doubled for non residents. They also opened a resident only hunt. Only thing I can say is, if you don't want the oos money, just don't invite us.
    If guns cause crime, all mine are defective.
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I seem to remember that either Utah or Nevada raised their non-resident licenses quite high a few years ago....out of state Hunters sent them a message by not buying tags, it was so widespread that the state wildlife department had to lay off close to 20 employees and had serious budget cutbacks. Serves them right for being greedy...