In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Whats the best round for a carry gun?

SeanEric7SeanEric7 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited February 2003 in General Discussion
I am new to guns, I am 28
Gunbroker Rules!... by-the-way

I have a new 9mm I am super fond of, I am thinking of going bigger to a .40 or 45. What do you think?I have 2 choices (since I am also poor) Keep the 9mm or trade it in for a .40 or .45

Whats a better round for defense? - Better yet, whats the best!

Thanks for looking!

Sean K
namesean@yahoo.com
PA, USA

Sean K

Comments

• Options
    Lt.smittyLt.smitty Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had all three and you just have to make your mind up on which best suits you. Large capacity is not the main issue when it comes to a carry gun. What matters is that you can hit what you are aiming for and can put the assailant down if you have to. Ammo makers make a wide variety of bullets for all three calibers you mentioned. Many of them are potent man stoppers. The 40 and 45 are good choices ,but there is a larger selection of 9mm ammo now than there ever was. What needs to be considered is recoil, concealability, and reliability. Just shoot what you like and can control. Just shoot it well. Most premium hollow points are good selections for defense in all three calibers. If you are good with the 9mm stick with it and you will have confidence in it. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do not think that anyone has ever asked this question on this board before. The best round for a carry gun? Why, the one in the chamber of course.
    Just funnin with ya. [:o)]

Welcome aboard, jumping right in to the melee, I see. You will get different opinions from different people. But you have some good advice here already. The one you can shoot well.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Options
    DarrellDarrell Member Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    3 inch circle? 15 yards? That is a BIG living room you have. 90% or so are at distances of 21 feet or LESS and the vast majority of those at 10-11 feet. But if you are making a movie......
  • Options
    chromerunnerchromerunner Member Posts: 89 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A carry gun is only a firing gun if you pull the trigger.

neonHD.gif
  • Options
    capecodcapecod Member Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Although I have more powerful handguns, I carry a Mauser HsC .380 with Hyda-Shok ammo. It's light, easily concealed and I have no problem hitting whatever I aim at. If I didn't care about concealment, I'd carry my .45acp Colt Commander with the same brand ammo.
    The main thing is that you are not afraid of the gun you are carrying causing you to flinch when you shoot it. Even if you carry a 44 mag., its worthless if you can't hit your target.
    John

John in PA
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't currently carry but my favorite (when I was living in a place where I COULD carry) was actually an inexpensive Smith and Wesson Mod. 457 (.45 ACP). It was light, slim and it was super accurate for such an inexpensive piece. Did I mention that it was reliable AND accurate?
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I were asked this question knowing no more than you offer: 9mm, .40 or .45, I would say find something that suits you in a .45. Although if somebody asked me, "but isn't the .40 just as good a stopper?" I would probably say, yes, probably, okay, so get something that suits you in a .40.

The only choice I'm losing some affinity for (for most men, at least) is the 9mm. It almost seems sacrilege to get a Hi-Power in the .40 caliber, but I'd probably even opt for that, given the choice of either caliber for it.

Life NRA Member

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."
  • Options
    Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
    edited November -1
    Some of what I have to say is going to be redundant, so bear with me. In my opinion the 9mm would not be my first choice, I carry a .45, but I also feel that a .40 will do the job. You have to consider the totality of the circumstances-
    Is your current 9mm, or the .40 /.45 you are going to trade for/up to reliable?
    A firearm prone to jamming is pretty useless, except as a thrown object and as a paperwieght.

How well do you shoot them?
    Shot placement is everything.

Do they fit into your hands and the size of your frame?
    If it's not comfortable, it'll affect how well you shoot, if you cannot manipulate the safety, mag release or slide release without going into a contorsionist's act, it's most likely not a good primary selection for self-defense.

Is this for concealed carry or home defense? (This question adresses ammo/bullet type and selection more than caliber.)
    Holster selection can help to "hide" a CC pistol, but a 95lb., 5'2" person will not cover-up a Glock-21 as easily as a 5'9", 210lb person. If your home is an apartment, Glaser Safety slugs are a good choice, if you live out in the country, Golden Sabres are fully acceptable.

comp45.gif

Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    I would recomend notbing smaller than a 9mm. Bullet placement is the key to self defence. If the pistal that chambers the 9mm is reliable and you shoot it well then stay with it. Just my 2 cents.[8D]

<br>
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    357 Magnum

Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    You didn't name a make Niner![:D]
  • Options
    SeanEric7SeanEric7 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to you all - The 9mm gun is a new Walther P99, hollow points, - with a new laser, which I usually don't have on because it becomes quite heavy, and I also haven't yet found a holster that's fits it with the laser nicely.

If I trade it in, I am leaning toward a Glock subcompact, or perhaps just sneaking a few hundred past the strict finance and picking up a cheap Kel-Tec .40 or 9mm (can I bet my life on these?)

You know, being new to gun collecting, (I am becoming more and more interested everyday) its really great to have such a forum such as this. As most of you might know, it's sometimes hard to talk guns, especially in today's society.(espically when your new and excited) I really wish I could do more to share what little education I have.

Again, Thanks guys (and gals)

Sean K
    PA, USA

Sean K
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    outdoortexas;
    Ruger SP-101

Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    chris_cechris_ce Member Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    get a cz 40b

chris
  • Options
    Christian B.Christian B. Member Posts: 218 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A Glock 33. It's got a kick and just feels powerful.

It's a .357 Sig. There are those who think it over-penetrates, but I like the feel of it when it fires. The G-33 sets itself in the hand nicely... I've been more accurate with it than the G-36.

christian

christian