In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Metric vs. Standard

Spring CreekSpring Creek Member Posts: 1,260
edited November 2001 in General Discussion
Which is larger 4mm or 5/32"?Or are they the same?Thanks, I'm metrically challenged!

Comments

• NateNate Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    5/32" is 0.15625"4mm is 0.1574798"
  • OtomanOtoman Member Posts: 554
    edited November -1
    4 millimeter is larger by .001 4 mm is .1574 and 5/32 is .15625 OTO
  • Spring CreekSpring Creek Member Posts: 1,260
    edited November -1
    Thanks-I needed that!11 minutes and 2 replies-can't beat it with a stick!Might just be the difference in avoiding a really "big" booboo!!Thanks Again
  • bsebastbsebast Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If my calculations are correct, 4mm is the largest. 4mm, I think, is 15.748% of an inch, where 5/32 is 15.625%. Disclaimer: Math is not my strong suit.
    Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Ephesians 4:29 bsebast@airmail.net
    edited November -1
    HEY SPRING, NATE BEAT ME TO THE PUNCH COMMING OUT OF THE CHUTE BUT I AM GOING TO GET HIM AT THE BIG END. IF YOU DIVIDE MILLIMETERS BY 25.4 THAT WILL CONVERT MM TO A DECIMAL EQUIVALENT WITH THE FRACTION IT IS THE TOP NUMBER DIVIDED BY THE BOTTOM NUMBER AND YOU NEED TO DO THIS BEFORE YOU CAN COMPARE THE TWO AS A DECIMAL EQUIVALENT. IF YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING REAL PRECISE SUCH AS AEROSPACE WORK YOU BETTER USE NATES INFO BECAUSE HE TOOK IT OUT TO SEVERAL DECIMAL POINTS.....OTO
    edited November -1
    I wasnt sure of the application, so I gave a few places, I could go farther if needed but 4 or 5 is more than needed for most applications.I am just a poor engineering student. Math is one of my stronger subjects. Guns I dont know as well as I do other things, so I help out where I can.
  • gunboobgunboob Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was working, we had to do some jobs in metrics, often.A figure we always used was .039374mm x .03937 = .15748and, when converting metric to dec,...the previously given figure of 25.4, was used.Bob
    edited November -1
    Hey Nate if you are going for the "Mechanical Engineering Degree" then a couple of must have books are (Marks Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers) & the (Machinerys Handbook) Good Luck! I am not a degreed engineer but have been working with engineers on the products that I sell for over 37 years and most of the time carrying out to (3) decimal points will suffice. the people that are doing the assembly and tooling typically just can measure out to 4 places with their digital calipers and micrometers. The easiest way of rembering the conversions from metric to inch and vice a versa is (MM divided by 25.4=inches) (inches X 25.4=MM)but if you are going to convert things all of the time it is best to have a decimal equivalent chart with metric conversions on it.OTO (Doctorate degree in the School of hard knocks)[This message has been edited by Otoman (edited 11-30-2001).][This message has been edited by Otoman (edited 11-30-2001).]
    edited November -1
    No I am not going for my ME degree, I am a Civil. Best thing I have found for conversions is a computer program, will convert from metric to US standard and back, converts all sorts of units. Everything from Length to Acceleration, Light, Pressure, and Torque. When I am in class can always turn to the trusty calculator. I am in the middle of my third year and have 4 semesters left. Hope the economy turns around in the next 2 years.