In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need info on ruger rim fire project

acatzdadacatzdad Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited May 2006 in General Discussion
I'm thinking of building a .22 short or.17 mach 2 with a 25" heavy barrel.Anybody have a 77 thats been "worked" that will shoot less than 1/2" at 50 yards? Who did the work and how much? Thanks; A.C.D.

Comments

• Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    you might try posting this on
    www.rugerforum.com
  • Options
    SGSG Member Posts: 7,548
    edited November -1
    Why go through all that. I got a 917vss that will put all five in a 1/2" hole at 100yds (granted no wind and from a bipod)but if you love Rugers that much and want to dump that kind of money into a .22 or .17 its your choice.
  • Options
    acatzdadacatzdad Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is a fishing trip,Does'nt have to be a ruger,but I want at least a 1" non tapered barrel 25" long.The ruger gives me the option of changing from 22 shorts to 17 fairly easily on the same action.The 25" barrel will be cut and threaded @ 16 1/4" with the remainder machined into something more acceptable to sensitive squirrel ears.Call it an overbored false muzzle.If this 917 has the ability to interchange barrels I'm game .Tell me more. I have a .17 barrel blank ready to go.
  • Options
    SGSG Member Posts: 7,548
    edited November -1
    I see what your getting at with the barrel swap. I dont think that Marlin has that option. The new Sako"Quad" has 4 interchangable barrels in .22LR .22WMR .17M2 and .17HMR. retails around $950 with one barrel and $1700 with all four. About what you would spend on that Ruger and all the customizing.
  • Options
    ghotie_thumperghotie_thumper Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My stock ruger 77/22 will shoot 1/2" groups with the right ammo. Seems like quite a variance you are looking at, "a .22 short or a .17mach2". Whatever, your choice I guess but still comparing apples and oranges.

I've heard the .22 long rifle achieves it's max potential with an 18" barrel, I can't confirm or deny but if it's true would there be a need to go to a 25" barrel with either of your choices? Sounds like a good project regardless, good luck.