In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cal. sky cops?

TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
edited October 2001 in General Discussion
CHP Troopers Expected to be Sky Marshals on Intrastate Flights 10/30/2001After meeting Monday with federal officials, Gov. Gray Davis said he hopes to get approval within 30 days to allow California Highway Patrol officers to serve as sky marshals on flights within the state.The governor also wants federal approval to expand the duties of National Guard troops at California airports to include random searches of checked baggage. Currently, they are limited to checking carry-on bags at security checkpoints.Davis met in Washington Monday with Transportation Secretary Norman Mineta and Federal Aviation Administration chief Jane Garvey, whom he described as receptive to his ideas."Both proposals were received with interest," Davis said.Davis first made the sky marshal proposal a month ago, explaining that CHP officers take 7,800 work-related flights a year. The highway patrol officers' union has raised questions about the idea, but has not voiced opposition.Davis described both proposals as essentially free. CHP officers would serve as marshals only on flights they already would be taking, and airports would not need more National Guard troops to expand the reservists' duties.The governor headed from his meeting with transportation officials to tour the Pentagon crash site. He also will visit the World Trade Center site in New York on Tuesday. The itinerary for his East Coast trip also includes a visit to his mother in Florida and two campaign fund-raising events in New York.Davis was not the only California official on attacks-related business on the East Coast.Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca was in New York on Monday to testify before the U.S. House Intelligence Committee, and to present $244,305 to New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani.The money, for the survivors of the police and firefighters who died in the collapse of the Trade Center buildings, was raised by the sheriff's department through the sales of memorial bracelets and bumper stickers.LOS ANGELES HERALD EXAMINER

Comments

• Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Well, good deal. I guess it's back to work for Erik Estrada.
    Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A heck of a lot easier to allow passengers to exercise their second ammendment rights and carry, either open or concealed.
    So many guns to buy. So little money.
  • Options
    usmc2498215usmc2498215 Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just close your eyes, and you can hear that disco music all over again....ha ha ha
  • Options
    ghotie_thumperghotie_thumper Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got a few friends who have been hoping this would happen. Gray Davis has pretty much screwed us up until now. I was thinking about signing up if it included flights leaving Ka and entering. What a job that would be. Sorry ghotie, you'll have to layover in Hawaii for 2 days, expenses paid, darn it, not again. Intra state flights is a start anyhoo. Maybe if my boyz do good they'll expand our market. ZZZZZZZZZ, I know, I'm dreamin.