In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How do I receive a phone call when I'm on dial-up

Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I need to get my computer to let me know someone is calling my home number when I am on my dial-up ISP. We cannot get Cable/DSL service on post, so I am stuck with this... for now.

Does anyone know of a program I can buy, preferably one you've either used or are still using, with some success?

Thanks, my wife really, really, really thanks you [;)]. We missed an important call this moringin cause I was on here chatting with you all, so oyu are, by default accomplices in this [:D].

NSDQ!

"Many free countries have lost their liberty, and ours may lose hers; but if she shall, be it my proudest plume, not that I was the last to desert; but that I never deserted her." -President Abraham Lincoln

Comments

• FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.pagoo.com
    This one is good to. [:)]

gun.gif
    "Those who live by the sword get shot
    by those who don't." [:D]
    [img][/img]Santa_Cruz.gif
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use an emerson switchboard. You have to use call waiting service with it but it works fine.
  • 22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    I run Hot Call

http://www.home-and-office-phone-depot.com/pages/products/hot-call-plus-3000.htm

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.
    [Teddy Roosevelt]
  • matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    We use Callwave. I would recommend it. For about 8.00-10.00 a month it will accept a call when you are online, you will hear a ringing tone on your computer, then it opens a new window on your screen that shows the name and number of the person trying to reach you. Then it will give you options, (while the person calling you hears a message, such as "the person you are calling is using Callwave, an internet answering service") such as, 1. end your online session and accept the call, 2. transfer the call to another number.

The second option is nice if you have a cell phone because it keeps you connected to the net and you can then take the call if you wish on your cell phone.

If you choose the first option the service plays a recording for the person calling you that says, "Please hold, the person you are calling would like to speak with you." Then it rings your home phone.

If you choose neither, and keep on talking to us here at GB, then it will record a message that you can retrieve from the window it opened on your screen and play when you wish.

All in all a very nice service and cheaper than a second phone line.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Edmund Burke
  • ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Callwave,works for me.If I'm on the phone and someone calls I get a message saying you missed a call(with the callers number) while you were on the phone.

[^] [^] [^] [:p] [:p] [:p] [:)] [:)] [8D] [8D]

standard.jpg
    Limerick.gif
    It's my cat's world. I'm just here to open cans.

We got rid of the kids. The cat was allergic.

ATF,Eagle Guns
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy a cell phone.

R/

Dave

How different the world would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician. - Henry Miller
  • trooperchintrooperchin Member Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Taint nuthin like cable inernet[8D]

sniper.gif
    koreaAnim.gifUN.bmp

Go Army Beat Navy
    IF you wanna have fun join the cavalry
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My new 56k Zoom modem is a v.92/44 with Modem on Hold technology. This is the new standard for 56k modems. This Zoom brand comes packaged with software called "NetWaiting" to make use of the MOH feature. You must have call waiting from the phone company to use this, but it works great and gives you a more leisurely full minute or more to talk, and counts down on your screen before disconnecting the Internet. And unlike my fried Emerson Switchboard, this modem has lightning resistant circuitry. The software can be set to notify you and let you decide to take the call, or automatically receive all calls, or reject all calls. When a call comes in, my PC "rings" first. Pretty neat, and high time too. The modem was only about 35 or 40 bucks.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    Well, thanks for all the advice. I've registered for the 30 day trial with PAGOO, then I'll try the CALLWAVE 30 day trial and probably decide to retain whichever one is more user friendly.

We already have three cell phones here in the house, and a pager from the office, so there certainly should be not shortage of means for folks to contact us, but the wife demands, and I jump!

Thanks for all the assistance.

NSDQ!

"Many free countries have lost their liberty, and ours may lose hers; but if she shall, be it my proudest plume, not that I was the last to desert; but that I never deserted her." -President Abraham Lincoln
  • laxcoachlaxcoach Member Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Catch-a-Call, available at Best Buy. $30 and works great !
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Member Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a thought, but how about getting call foward no answer on your home phone to your cell? If the home # isn't answered, it will automaticly ring the cell.

Those people who see nothing but grey areas, no black and white, are lost in the fog.