In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Slow sales? What's in a name?

GunHawkeGunHawke Member Posts: 576 ✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in General Discussion
I run auctions on GunBroker and two other sites. Sales are slow or NONE! Regardless of my prices I have noticed others with slow sales. Anyone got a clue as to why tje slowdown, or am I imagining things?My business name is GunHawk Sporting Goods. I took the name from the word GunHawk being used in an old Louis' L'Amor book. I get the drift of the meaning of the word GunHawk but can't find an origin or definition. Help?Thanks
"They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull a trigger. I won't!" J.B. Books

Comments

• Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Ever watched one of the smaller hawks fold his wings and stoop on a rabbit or mouse ?...almost faster then the eye can see..and terrifies the prey into freezing,often as not....and will VERY rarely miss....
  • Options
    GunHawkeGunHawke Member Posts: 576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Highball,That was enough of an explanation for me!Now tell me, my wife and I pondered how mixed drinks came to be known as Highballs?GunHawke[This message has been edited by GunHawke (edited 09-08-2001).]
  • Options
    AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ever drink enough mixed drinks, then see a previously-ugly woman who now looks gorgeous? You have a case of High Balls.
    We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Ask us about Shepherd Scopes!Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com
  • Options
    hackerhacker Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    but seriously, make sure you put enough info in the title to be seen by the search engine. most auction shoppers dont look through all the pages, they search for key words so make sure they find your ad. for example, if i was selling a colt 1911 magazine, i would make sure i had the words colt, magazine, government, and the caliber in the title. they cant buy it if they cant find it.
    hi karate and old spice
  • Options
    boogerbooger Member Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sales wise, the economy is sucking, as you already know. When talking to my buddies about gun sales etc. it's apparent that only a year ago any amount of shipping or FFL fees would not slow them down. Now I hear squawking about $25.00!!! The last gun show I went to in August was "soft" as well. Good luck to you in your venture.
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gunhawke--I don't think I've looked at any of your auctions but there is one thing that struck me when I saw your name. The word "hawk". Is it possible that people are assuming that you are a pawnbroker? I've seen some pretty impressive guns in pawn shops. Almost bought a lever-action in .35 Rem but my money had other priorities at the time. However, I personally would not buy one from a pawn broker on the internet without being able to visually inspect the firearm first because MOST pawn shops I've been in sell junk. Just a thought.
  • Options
    sandman2234sandman2234 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not a dealer, nor do I sell guns.(Note the sell part does not have anything to do with buying) I WILL buy a gun at a pawn shop. In fact one of the best gun dealers here is a pawn shop.Prices are usually very high on the sticker and I have been "steered away" from some by the Owner simply because there is a gun for every person, but not every gun is for every person. Meaning, well to heck with the meaning. Not all Pawn brokers are bad.
    Have Gun, will travel
  • Options
    sandman2234sandman2234 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh, and GUNHAWKE, things are a little slow... I haven't been buying nearly as many guns this year as last.
    Have Gun, will travel
  • Options
    J.JohnJ.John Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The auction sites have gotten too commercial.I have a small gun store and two years ago bought a lot of guns off the net at prices low enough to make a buck or two. And I also sold some of the higher priced guns I couldn't move reasonably fast in my store. Then a lot of dealers, including storefronts and internet , started putting their entire inventory on the auction sites. This turned off a lot of buyers who didn't want to scroll through page after page of retail priced goods. I bought two rifles in the last year off the net, and check the auctions maybe twice a month. I don't even look at a auction with a reserve. If a person really wants to sell, put the lowest dollar on it and maybe I will bid, at the least I will look at it. Also sellers now look at simularly priced items and use that as a guide to price their item, regardless of whether it is worth that price or not.
  • Options
    4000fps4000fps Member Posts: 786 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't speak for all dealers, just the FFL holder I use for transactions. He owns and runs a dive shop, not a store front gun shop. Recently his FFL transfers are sky rocketing in numbers and he can hardly keep up. Averaging 10+ a day mostly from internet deals.