In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Thinking about DSL

woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Well guys the local telephone company has an offer that I like. My phone, any optional services and unlimited long distance for $57.00 a month. For another $15.00 I can have either a second phone line or DSL. Considering my long distance alone runs over $45.00 most months, with family and friends scattered all over the country it could easily run higher,so this is a pretty good deal. My HP is just over a year old, but I'm wondering if I'm going to need to buy any new equipment. Who has DSL?? DO I need to know anything different from dial up?

Woods

Hamlin.gif

rockin_lg_clr.gif

Comments

• bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Woods, as long as you have a NIC card (from the back of your computer it looks like a big phone port with 8 strands) then you don't need anything else (the phone company will sell or provide you the modem). As far as being different from dial up, it depends... Some areas you have to have a login/password like dial up, other places you just stay on. Either way, unless you are used to an interface like MSN or AOL you shouldn't have ANY trouble with switching. Be forewarned though, you won't go back once you try broadband!

The 10mm - either you've got it, or you don't get it...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I got dsl last week and it is GREAT. My NIC card is just a little adapter that plugs into a USB port - costs about $20, but my phone company gave it (and a who;e lot of other stuff) to me free.

Take the time to shop around, take notes, and compare deals.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been pretty happy with dial up until the past month or so. I had a real cheap ISP ($4.99) and service was great. Now they've gone national and thier service is in the toilet, to top that off they went to $9.99 a month. With the company I work for in trouble, I'm looking for a job. With dial up I can't get calls in when I'm online, not good when you are job hunting. My phone bills run $50.00-60.00 a month now. All the neat features I don't have now like caller ID and a DSL hookup for $12.00 a month more. I can't beat that. Really only a couple bucks when you consider the cost of my current ISP.

Really the thing that makes it affordable is the unlimited long distance. I bet I'll even touch base with a few more GB members.

Woods

Hamlin.gif

rockin_lg_clr.gif
    edited November -1
    With what you describe woods, I wouldn't even think twice about it... You won't regret it!
    edited November -1
    I'm not sure about the idea of being connected all the time. A friend has RoadRunner and he's always fighting viruses. Can you disconnect when you aren't using it, or do you have to stay connected?

Woods

Hamlin.gif

rockin_lg_clr.gif
    edited November -1
    You can unplug it, and some DSL's will log you off... Viruii don't just "appear" on your computer. They are downloaded or received. I've got 3 computers on my home network on broadband, all 3 are behind a firewall/router and one is a server that runs unattended 24/7/365 and in the 4+ years it's been running in the server role, it has NEVER gotten a virus. My computer, I download stuff all the time from questionable sources so I see viruii on it all the time, of course I keep my AV up to date (on of the other services my server provides) so it's rarely a problem. I've never lost data or had other problem due to a virus.
  • 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    i just got dsl w/ verizon 2 weeks ago i love it.it only is29.95 a month

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    sealriverth.jpgdk_marinereconth.jpg
    SEMPER FI
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    I'm on the cable. It is instantaneous. I can't stop the pop ups because a program my wife uses for work requires pop up capability, so I just turn off the computer when I'm not using it. You can sure win more auctions with high speed![:D]

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • 358 WINCHESTER358 WINCHESTER Member Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Woodsrunner
    We had DSL then Cable in the city and both where great NOW WE LIVE IN THE COUNTRY[:D][:p] Not says that there is no sunshine here but I had a heck of a time trying to explain why I need two phone lines[:(]
    maybe one day we will get DSL and I will jump on it.[:p]hope you enjoy yours. You should have been at the phone company when I asked about a third line for the fax machine I just gave up and share it with the computer line

Son if you didn't learn something today, you wasted the whole day. (Jasper N. Lee, my granddaddy)
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Get the DSL immediately.

Get Norton Internet Security Package. This will address intrusion and virus concerns.

Bye

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
    edited November -1
    I think I'm going to do it. I will shop around a little more first. I have to renew my dial up for three months at a shot and it's due next week. I do know I need to be able to take calls and most of my net surfing time is during the day so I have to splurge soon. Thanks guys.

Woods

Hamlin.gif

rockin_lg_clr.gif
  • bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    I've got DSL at home and I don't know how I ever managed with a dial up? One bad thing though. It spoils you. If you ever end up using someone elses dial up it is very annoying.

From85-01.jpgTosoftair-eagle.jpg
    And everything in between.
  • gunrunner68gunrunner68 Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have cable How does that compare to dsl.. Mine just went up 9 bucks again. Thinking about going to dls. Is it faster or slower?

"I did not get where I am today by worring about what I did last night"
  • gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    dsl is better than dial up but broadband is way faster than either of them. Check with your cable co. for deals.

Larry
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Get the DSL, but be sure you install a Linksys hardware firewall (router, $79.00) and a software firewall (Norton, $39.00) before you hook up even the first time. You'll love it!

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    woods, get the DSL. Then switch your long distance carrier to WDT ((888) 353-0808). My long distance bill is under $30 a month [:D] and that's mostly overseas - but at $0.029 / minute to Russia, it takes a lot of talking before the bill adds up - last one was $26 and included several *hours* of international calls. Inside the US is $0.039 and intrastate long distance $0.059 (so we use a phone card for that). Anyone else notice that the farther I call, the lower the charge? Talk about counter-intuitive . . . or is it just that the domestic carriers are raping the public? [:(!]

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain) ". . . And DemoCraps" (me)
  • deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have DSL and its the greatest thing since the ruger 10/22 IMO,
    i recently went over a buddies house where he has the old dial up
    service and WHAT A DIFERNCE. Well worth the extra Bill every month.

use_deer.jpg96EB.jpg
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gun_runner
    dsl is better than dial up but broadband is way faster than either of them.

I'm splitting hairs here, but DSL IS considered broadband (as is cable, satellite, all the T's, ISDN's, etc).

The 10mm - either you've got it, or you don't get it...
  • Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    Woods, I just got DSL this week, and I love it.

NSDQ!

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me." -Isaiah 6:8
  • 4000fps4000fps Member Posts: 786 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The DSL is great. The package I got came from SBC and I think its about $30 a month. The only thing I am disappointed with is the Yahoo email system that comes with it and the "home page" you get to design. This part of the deal is as slow as a dial up. Other than that, it is extremely fast.