In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

terminal damage

7mm_ultra_mag_is_king7mm_ultra_mag_is_king Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2001 in General Discussion
If you want to see why not to use ballistic tips loaded at high velocity on deer email me for pics at redneck1314@pennswoods.netI don't know how to post them but I got some good pics to show why not to use them!Leave your email ad here if you want to and I will send the pics when I get back, gota go to JOISEY tonite for a 2am delivery,talk to y'all tomorrow
when all else fails........................[This message has been edited by 7mm_ultra_mag_is_king (edited 11-28-2001).][This message has been edited by 7mm_ultra_mag_is_king (edited 11-28-2001).]

Comments

• Options
    concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shot two deer so far this year with .30-06 ballistic tips. I don't know if they were high-velociy or not, but they did a super job. No unnnecessary damage done but the critters dropped in their tracks at about 40 yards.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The deer I shot yesterday was shot with a 30-06 using 125 grain balistic tips. I hand loaded the shells to a velocity of just over 3000 fps. The deer had HEAVY damage,half of it ruined. I made a bad shot on her running in the woods and nailed her square in the rump, the bullet entered the side and exploded on her hip and BLEW it away. I shot her again in the neck to kill her(missed the head!) and almost decapitated her. Never again will I use those on deer. I can prove the damage if you want to see it, just leave me your email ad.
  • Options
    GWNelsonGWNelson Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Used Hornady V-max 75 grain on deer/antelope this fall. Hornady is right! A frangible varmit bullet. Damage is horendous! One shot should be enough. I had to shoot two to be sure. TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    elmos608elmos608 Member Posts: 124 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd like to see those pictures.elmos608@hotmail.com
  • Options
    arthur wellingarthur welling Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    7mm.....What did you expect to happen when you shoot a deer with a varmint bullet???The 125 grain 30 cal BT is designed for explosive fragmentation on small animals.In 30 cal ballistic tip, go 150 grain or larger for deer. They have thicker jackets designed to expand slower on larger animals.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If you remember nosler redesigned the ballistic tip to stay together at all velocities not too long ago. I wanted to see if that was true. it is not true, they perform the same way they always did and I'm very dissapointed. I have shot groundhogs with this same load and they didnt do as much damage to the "hog" as this deer. Anyhow I made an error in judgement and in trying to get some more range and penetration from this caliber I failed with this little experiment. My mistake. Shouldve known better.
    when all else fails........................
  • Options
    gunnutgunnut Member Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For deer I stick to Sierra, or Nosler Partitions only. Ballistic tips + Speed =explosive expansion.
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A few years ago I loaded some 130 grain Ballistics for my 270 running 3100 fps.After that I thought a 270 was the sorriest excuse for a deer rifle ever invented.I had to trail most deer shot.When I finally discoverd fast Ballistic=follow blood trail,I went to a 140 grain Hornady at 2800fps my opinion of the 270 quickly changed.