In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Dim Headlights --Help?

crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
The headlights on my villager van are very dim due to the faded headlight lense covers. I have tried using a light buffing compound on them and does not help. They aren't clear any more just hazed, cloudy looking. Any suggestions on how to get these babies clear again instead of new ones for a couple hundred. If they would of stuck with the old headlight that are glass instead of bulbs and covers I would not have this problem. In time everybody's will eventially be like mine as they get older. Good old plastic! Thanks for any Help!

Believe nothing that you hear and only one half of what you see!!

I'm Just One Man Talking!

Comments

• IAMAHUSKERIAMAHUSKER Member Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.mdwholesale.com/default.php Never used it myself but my be worth a shot.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." --Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791. ME 8:276
  • gunrunner68gunrunner68 Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You could also use Mop&Glo or anything like it. It will work.

"I did not get where I am today by worring about what I did last night"
  • BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    crosshair,
    Being a bodyshop manager,I see this all the time and being in Texas,the heat seems to get to them faster anyway.We've tried many different things to restore the lenses to their original "clearness" without any luck.I can't say I've ever tried Mop&Glo,but heck,what have you got to lose.You didn't mention the year model of your Villager.If it's a 93-95,replacement,aftermarket headlamp assemblies are $109 each through Keystone Automotive Ind.Going through a Ford dealer will be in the $150 range.If it's a 96-up,they're higher.

If the Mop&Glo works,let me know.I've never thought to try that.[:D]

www.keystone-auto.com

Good luck
    BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Bobbywins, Thanks for the info. it is a 1993 model. I will try mop and glo and I will let you know if it works for me.

Believe nothing that you hear and only one half of what you see!!

I'm Just One Man Talking!
  • gunrunner68gunrunner68 Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mop&glo works great. I had gauges on a harley that had plastic lens on them. They were realy bad could hardley see thru them. Someone told me about mop&Glo it worked great. Had to use it about once a year. Also used on headlight covers it realy works.

"I did not get where I am today by worring about what I did last night"
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Read about this before.. few different things that supposedly work good.

#1. Rubbing compound (for auto body), then coat with some regular wax, so it doesnt get yellow again in the future.. (carnuba)

#2. Metal Mag Polish, Meguiars makes it, so does Mothers, I heard this works well also.

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifErie.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • OleDukOleDuk Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    crosshair, I haven't tried it but a friend told me that Brass-O will work. I don't know whether he used it with a power buffer or by hand. He told me this after I had spent a hundred bucks or so a few years back. If you try it let us know!![:)]
    OleDuk
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any fine abrasive like brasso or toothpaste will work. I use dupont polishing compound then dupont glaze and scratch filler. When using the glaze make sure the surface is spotless and in the shade. Wipe it on and wipe it off. This stuff sets up like clear coat so don't use any more than you need. I'm going to have to try the mop&glo.
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used Semi-Chrome polish and it worked fine.I am sure Flitz or Metal Glow would give the same results.