In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Tightening Up AR Grouping

buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2015 in General Discussion
Got an AR (.223/5.56)I built from a part here and a part from there.No high dollar parts unless a Jard trigger is high dollar.All I wanted was a shooter and that's what I got.It is absolutely dependable,never a malfunction of any kind.16 inch barrel 1/7 twist.It shoots my 55 grain handloads about 1.5 MOA And that's probably good considering what it is.Should I leave well enought alone,or is there a way to tighten the group up.Heavier bullet?

Comments

• Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Always room for improvement- my Colt Hbar Flat top from the factory was ok with the 5.56 chamber and chrome lined bbl. But when I got it new and shot it, I was a little disappointed. So I embarked on a change. I swapped the factory barrel for a SST 24" DPMS 1-7" fluted .223 BBL and a free Float tube.

After countless Barrel nut torquing's in 1/8" up/down adjustments and reloads I could not break the 1/2" group at 100 yards. After The molly bullet Craz that I tried and in return ruined what I had constructed, I started over. Not sure what I did, but after a super clean and redo, I tried some Ultramax 55gr Ballistic tips and now @ 100 yrds. off the bench it's a one hole gun with little effort.

For the life of me of 30+ years of reloading I can not duplicate Ultramax ammo that my Colt AR Loves. In short I leave it alone, it works now as I like it.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Leave well enough alone...

Unless you are signing on for sniper school.
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Add an AccuWedge. It has tightened every AR I have ever stuck one in...and they are $5.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,609 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    agree I have never been a got to have a one hole group , it would be great but for what I do , plinking and wasting ammo a 1.5 inch group is good to go . its great to hit dead on every time no disagreements and maybe now I am retired I may play more with different ammo and reloads , , I guess its what you like is all that matters , I just finished building two ar rifles , have not sighted them in but have fired about 100 rounds out of each no hiccups no issues went bang until the mags were empty that for now is Ok with me . slow fire rapid fire all good to go
    I did just buy some actual targets [:D] and my son just built us a new shooting bench sooo may just get down to business [:D]
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    what type of forearm do you have ?

i'm getting 1/4 moa, all within a dime , 18" barrel, free float forearm , Jerry Miculek brake , stock dpms trigger
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,703 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would think a bit heavier bullet would help. You might be spinning those 55's a bit fast with a 1-7.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One thing I will say, play with your barrel torque adjustment up/down in 1/8" lb. It will make a difference. Mine was just over tiny bit of recommended.
  • Options
    CoolhandLukeCoolhandLuke Member Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check barrel torque and leave it be, if you ever built another one the barrel and trigger you choose will make a huge difference.
    I have one with 1.8 twist 20" rainier match polygonal rifling barrel, 3.5 lb Gissele trigger and 10X42 swfa optic, I highly recommend the polygonal barrel will shoot .250 ragged hole consistently, here is a pic of my rig.

2089w5h.jpg
    We have to fight so we can run away.
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.
  • Options
    fizzerfizzer Member Posts: 748 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey
    Use a 'huge' target,,,,,,,,,,makes yer groups look smaller ,,,,,,,[:D][:o)]

I usually like to get closer, maybe 10 feet [8D]
  • Options
    SGSG Member Posts: 7,548
    edited November -1
    Agree! Bettin 62g will make a difference. My 1/7 bcm doesn't group nearly as good with 55's. quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog
    I would think a bit heavier bullet would help. You might be spinning those 55's a bit fast with a 1-7.
  • Options
    lpaalplpaalp Member Posts: 947 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1:7 twist? Heavier bullet - 69g might be optimum.
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    you didn't mention what ammo you use but I have seen a lot of guys spend tons of money on parts for accurizing an AR and then buy and shoot the cheapest ammo they can find and wonder why their groups are so big.
    sights, trigger, good ammo, and a fresh barrel on any AR I have seen will group less than 1 moa easy
  • Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AccuWedge, free float handguard, heavier bullet and tailoring your handloads. What your getting is about what you can expect for a standard AR type rifle.
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am using 25.5 grains of ball-2 powder under 55 grain Sierras.