In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Student gives up potato launcher

Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
edited October 2001 in General Discussion
Student gives up potato launcher'Gunshot' sounds startled patrolmen Bob Gay/The Dominion PostMorgantown Police patrolman first class R.J. Chipps displays a homemade projectile launcher that was confiscated after officers heard shots being fired in the Kingwood Street area Monday morning. BY KATIE LONGThe Dominion PostMorgantown police officers patrolling in South Park were shocked by several loud sounds resembling gunshots Monday afternoon. Upon checking the area they found no gunmen, but did find a WVU student playing with a potato or golf ball launcher in the 200 block of Kingwood Street.The launcher was a homemade device -- made as part of an assignment for an engineering class, the student said -- using PVC piping. Officer R. Chipps said potato balls, golf balls or wadded up pieces of newspaper can be stuffed into the smaller end. Then a * accelerant, such as hair spray, is sprayed into the wider end, and an ignition source is introduced further into the pipe via a hole or an installed switch. The tubing creates quite a good missile launcher, and the result can be broken windows, damaged property, or a pretty big welt, depending on the target. Chipps said many people don't realize that objects such as these -- along with BB guns and paintball g uns -- are prohibited within the city."The trouble is that people don't realize the law," he said.Chipps, along with Officer T.D. Webber, confiscated the launcher but did not make any arrests. They said the owner of the launcher was shooting objects against his garage door, which created the loud, shotgun type sounds. The owner didn't cause any trouble, they said, and surrendered the launcher willingly.Another similar launcher was recently confiscated on Willey Street near Price Street, police said. http://www.dominionpost.com/a/news/2001/10/09/as/

Comments

• Options
    Andrew AdamsAndrew Adams Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As a WVU grad, let me tell you, it is about time they start confiscating those things.I have one myself, but like my guns, if I want to use it, I take it somewhere safe to fire the thing. When I was at WVU, these idiots got drunk and shot them at each other all the time.I can assure you, there is nothing like walking to class and having to dodge potatoes coming at you with great force. Additionally, if you get hit, it will take you off your feet and leave you wondering where the h--l you are for a while. Furthermore, if you get hit with a golf ball, it could very easily kill you.I am quite familiar with the area of Morgantown that this guy lives in, and let me tell you that it was not safe for him to be firing his potato gun around there. It is about time that MPD started cracking down on irresponsible potato gun users.