In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Is it Discrimination or what?

NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Seems like I complain alot but Im glad none of it is worth complaining over.But me and my wife went shopping for another chair for the den.She is giveing the one we have to my sister and brother in law.We hit 4 furniture stores and found plenty of chairs that would match our furniture but they were none of them big enough for me to sit in.Two stores we found chairs we liked at could special order the chair to bigger specs.So we went back to the first store and ordered the one she wanted.Last year when I replaced my Lazy Boy we had to order it because they were all small?I didnt wont to replace the old one but Im now glad I did this one has heat and massage.But it dont seem fair?Im a big guy I'm 6"5 270 lbs and wear a size 13 shoe which we have to special order for my Duty uniforms.Im not fat or even chunky just inherited genes from both great grandpa's.I think large people are discriminated against its not fair I have to pay more than anyone else for clothes and furniture when it dont cost them anymore to make bigger stuff.I think they have a place for large women to get clothes at about the same prices as regular size.Sorry for my ranting but I just had to get it out,I think my wife is tired of hearing it.[:(!]

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"

Comments

• p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No discrimination, just free enterprise. The law of supply and demand.
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do not understand the big and tall crap. I am only 5' 9" and have a king size bed but when I stretch out my feet hang over. Am i doing something wrong? I empathize with big men. I had a lazy boy and it was a large on and wondered what a regular one would be like. Of course I understand that all bodies are not built the same. I have a 34' inseam so for a short guy I guess I have long legs. Maybe that is my problem.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Well instaed of taking only one cow for your shoes it takes two. So naturally they are going to cost more.[:)][}:)]

AlleninAlaska
    Delta Firearms & Supplies
    http://canadianfirearmsexchange.com

aglore@gci.net
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Seems like I complain alot

COMPARED TO WHO? COMPLAING? YOU? You bust your butt to pay for it right? If it is going to be your chair that fits you,
    (sorry you hit a nerve here that I know well about a guys chair) If you can afford one, get a "Stresless Chair" They are pricey but worth the $$$ My best friend is about your size and when he comes to stay for a few days that chair, he looks foward to after driving all day. GET What Fits! [:D][:D][:D]

gun1.gif
    "If you aim at nothing,
    you will be sure to hit it"
    hsas371x48.gif
    Santa_Cruz.gif
    [img][/img]
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    LOL!!Poor cow,I dont have any problem with finding Jeans I wear a 44 waist and 34 Length.I can find them in most places,but I recently found out Levi's donate money to Hand Gun Control so I wont be buying any more of those.I havent wore any kind of Jeans but Levi's since I was 15 or 16 yrs old.I'm going to be buying Lee's from now on or should I say my wife is.She buys all the clothes and thats fine with me as long as she stays with Jeans and Dockers no plad[:D].Shirts arent to hard to find but are a little more expensive.Now for Suits I have to be sized and order and it takes a month's pay check to pay for them.As for the beds we bought a Spring Air in King size and I can barely stretch all the way out before my head hits the head board.You have to shop around one company's King size bed is anothers Queen size.They dont make them the same size,our king size sheets would not fit our bed or stay on or somethin until my wife dusted off the sewing machine she had to have one Christmas and hasnt used but a couple of times.

I'll have to ask about that chair,if its expensive Im sure someone would be glad to sale me one.Then I could take my lazy boy to the cabin.Thanks for the tip,appreciate it!

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    I have that problem with beds and shoes...I also wear a size 13 boot and shoe....tough to find one that fits right in a regular store....also beds...my feet hang off the end of almost every bed I've ever owned. I'm sure guys like BigT7mm, though, never find a bed to fit LOL!

aliens.jpg
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My son is 6' 9". There is a mattress company we go to, that will make a custom length bed for him. It is not that much more $$. And worth the extra, to see him be able to stretch out.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    Im also a size 13 shoes are a onager to find

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    13 size shoes aren't too hard to find. It's the triple e width that is the catch. I went with my wife to buy a button up dress shirt for a formal to do we were to attend. In order to get a shirt that had a 23 inch neck and a 58 inch chest the arms were like 4 feet long and there was enough material bunched up at the waist to make a good sized tent. I ended up taking the brand new shirt to a tailor and paying an extra 15 bucks to get it to fit decent. And try to buy pants that have 30 inch thighs but only 40 inches at the waist. You either have to dress like a clown or pay for everything to be fitted. And all the new cars have the curved in sides to the seats which stick exactly in my shoulder blades. And all the houses now have 32 inch interior doors. I have to turn sideways to walk through them and if they have the 36 inch hallways I knock all the pictures on the walls askew. Man, I just realized where a lot of my stress comes from. Living in a world that don't fit.

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    On this subject, what junior size are most of the fast food table booths made for? If someone could fit in these things comfortably, they sure as hell wouldn't be eating there!

Proud member of the NRA

When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion.
    Abraham Lincoln

If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith.
    Albert Einstein
    edited November -1
    Big Daddy I feel for ya!Kind of know exactly what you mean and it is discrimination.There's a couple things I dont have to buy XXX Large and one of them is my Duty Hat.When I fell the other night I broke the brim on it and had to order another one.Im glad we have uniform allowance the hat is a Issue Stetson and cost $162.50 thats with our volume discount,the public cant buy these but if you could it would exceed $200.00.Luckily I have a couple that are like new laying around to use until my new one arrives.I think its robbery.

Pickenup your son is 6"9?Wow thats big,I guess all you big guys are like me when it comes to locating ceiling fans.[:D]Cant count the times Ive been tangled up in them.I think we should all get together for a steak and protest.lol[8D]

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • 4wheeler4wheeler Member Posts: 3,441
    edited November -1
    If we ever get to meet,you will look down on me[;)] Rugster,sorry
    I had to say that[:D] Just be thankful,you are not left handed also.

"Keep dangereous weapons out of the hands of fools-start with computers"
    edited November -1
    4 Wheeler I truly want to have the pleasure of getting up with you and GHD and some of the other guys.Im going to make it a point when I take my vacation this Spring/Summer to buy you each Dinner no excuses to stop me.Ive already told the Boss I want to and she encourages me to do it.I had a definant plan to go to the shot show and my aunt came in for the weekend from Indiana and Sat I had to take the dogs to the vet which she was going to do but its tax time and she is an accountant and been working 10-12 Hrs a day even Saturdays.Ive been behind on accident reports I had 17 A&R (Accident Reportable)reports Im still working on from the Ice over the weekend.Of course they were all no UTS (Uniform Traffic Summons)because of road conditions.Thats not counting my UTS (Same as above) but they were issued a Summons(Ticket).Im doing this on my free time and should finish up today.One Insurance company is pageing me every hour or so,but Im through with that report.I sit here and read and do reports,if it wasnt for GB I would go crazy.But I will be done with reports and will run these reports to the satelite office this evening.It sure is refreshing to come here and vent,and read post from you guys.

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • gbeggrowgbeggrow Member Posts: 5,499
    edited November -1
    Rugster,

I feel your pain my friend. At 6'10" and 210 pounds it's real difficult to find clothes off the rack. I'm on the slim side too so that makes it a bit tough. I've had luck finding stuff online though. Luckily I wear a size 13 shoe. I usually don't have too hard of a time finding those. You know, some of my college buddies that I played college ball with had a real problem with being big and having people ask you all the time how tall you are. I personally would not trade it for the world. I love being a big lurch. In my younger colege days it was great being the "big guy". You always knew on a night out with the boys that when a young lady asked you how big your hands and feet were that it was going to be a good night![;)][}:)][:D]
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    As a little guy, I always tried to hang around with big guys to get me out of trouble when my BIG mouth started fists flying.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. 5,9 140# wet. Whenever I go to buy hunting clothes most of what the stores carry is large and x sizes which I can camp out in. Just learned to live with it.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:As a little guy, I always tried to hang around with big guys to get me out of trouble when my BIG mouth started fists flying.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911

You're what we big guys call a mascot! LOL[:o)][:D]

Woods

Hamlin.gif
    edited November -1
    All us big guys here need to form a union,seems like their are plenty of us LOL.I guess manufactures make a fortune off of us.Reminds me of a call we answered one night nothing major but a minor dispute between neighbors.Both were very nice good people.One of them was a High School football cheerleader I went to school with.We are required to put our Hats on when we exit our cruiser(No Excuse's).And take it off when entering a residence.I was standing with the rim of my hat under my arm talking to this lady,and something hit me in the head like a rock and it kept hitting me at about 100 RPM.When I finally got out of it and seen what was attacking me it was her ceiling fan.After the dust settled I was fine,those poor people almost panicked.It didnt hurt me but the nice ex cheerleader and her spouse was offering me ice packs and makeing sure I wasnt bleeding.It was somewhat embarrassing,so now I always spot check for ceiling fans after looking for other hazards.

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • Druid1Druid1 Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    signe me up for the union i'm 17 years old, 6'4 and wear a size 15 boot. clothes aside ever try to fit into a "compact" car it's near impossible, all i ever owned is trucks. How about a big and tall car?

the first step to failure is trying