In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Let handed rifle.......kind of

SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2017 in General Discussion
I was looking at left handed rifles as I'm thinking of buying my son one. He's right handed but left eye dominate and I started him shooting left handed when he was a kid.

Anyway, I seen this left handed Remington 788, hot dog, I love 788's.

http://www.GunBroker.com/item/650111648

Oh but wait, ejects out the right side and the safety is on the right. Be better for a right handed shooter who wanted to keep the rifle bedded and on target with out moving his trigger finger.

Comments

• remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SCOUT5
    I was looking at left handed rifles as I'm thinking of buying my son one. He's right handed but left eye dominate and I started him shooting left handed when he was a kid.

Anyway, I seen this left handed Remington 788, hot dog, I love 788's.

http://www.GunBroker.com/item/650111648

Oh but wait, ejects out the right side and the safety is on the right. Be better for a right handed shooter who wanted to keep the rifle bedded and on target with out moving his trigger finger.

You want The bolt over your trigger hand. That way when you're shooting offhand you can steady the front of the rifle with your hand that is NOT on the trigger. In other words a left-handed shooter wants the bolt on the left side so he/she can manipulate the bolt with his/her trigger hand
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice 788

I love Remington 788's and I have a few of them. They really shoot good and back in the day you get them for a song.

That has fairly nice wood for a 788, I would jump on it.
    RLTW

• SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sam06
    Nice 788

I love Remington 788's and I have a few of them. They really shoot good and back in the day you get them for a song.

That has fairly nice wood for a 788, I would jump on it.

I love the 788 and this is a nice one. But not really advantages for a left handed shooter as the safety is on the right and it will kick the brass across your face.

One rifle I wish I had never sold was a 788 in .243, accurate and a delight to hunt with. I shot deer, fox, coyotes, and ground hogs. I mounted an old used weaver 3x8 on it in what ever rings I scrounged on limited funds. I got lucky and the set up was lights out accurate.
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 5 of them

223*
    22-250
    6mm Rem

All are rifles(no carbines) The 223 was a 222 and I had it re-chambered. It has a 1-14 twist so I have to keep the bullets light and not too fast. I wish I had not done it now.

The 222 was my 1st center fire rifle. I was a gun nut as a kid and read all the gun rags. Well the 222 was a big deal back in the early 70's late 60's. So when I decided to get my 1st rifle my Dad went with me to the Hardware store. I had to order it.

It was 1973 and I lived in North Georgia. Everyone hunted with a 30-30, shotgun or a 30-06. I ordered the rifle, a set of weaver rings and a weaver V12 4x12 scope w/ fine cross hairs and a dot, dies and brass.

It took like a month for the gun to come in but when it did I was proud as a peacock and I probably had the only 222 in the county.

I killed everything with that rifle; Deer, *, ground hogs,crow you name it.

I learned so much about guns from it and it is still one of my favorite guns and it shoots sub MOA all day long.

788's are great guns. I put Timney triggers in all of mine and I glass bed them.
    RLTW

• anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like the young fella you mentioned, I am right handed but left eye dominate, My dad said that if I every wanted to shoot well, I would have to switch over to shooting left handed.

He was right. It was hard for a while, but it has made all the difference. Very thankful that I listed to him on that and actually many other things as well.

Another biggie was gun safety ... for him (and thus for me) hunting and shooting was ALL ABOUT GUN SAFETY! No regrets.