In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Where are the Catholics

rocktonrockton Member Posts: 551 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I am posting this question again because the lack of response from the first post. I think this is an indication of the problem.

What do you think.

What are your views of the apparent long endured molestation problems with the clergy in the Catholic Church.

Do you believe the hierarcy of the church is being truthful and doing what should be done?

Thanks

Rockton

Comments

• Options
    schotzi1schotzi1 Member Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My momma said "never discuss religion".

SORRY

"meet me in Margaritaville"
  • Options
    powdersmokepowdersmoke Member Posts: 3,241
    edited November -1
    I'm not Catholic but I think it's a symptom of the problem within many religions, not just Catholic. (And the problem of lack of morals WE have allowed to permeate our system) Their problem is just more pronounce (at this time). For years we've heard of priest, ministers, pastors that have committed the whole gamut of crimes.

Maybe all of us need to look at what the organisation we belong to is doing and has done and decide do we want to share the community responsibility for that.

fa4d9fb5.jpg

When you wrestle a 'gator, there ain't no good end!!

"Molon Labe!" Spartan General-King Leonidas
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    After most of my life on the Protestant side of things, I am now in the process of becoming Roman Catholic. I'll have to admit that the current news makes me kind of sick, but at least it is coming out now and it is being dealt with. That may be the only positive thing about the whole ugly mess.

On the other hand ... I am not quick to judge, because I know that I am also a sinner ... but for the GRACE of God, I'd probably be doing worse.

Also, I'd hesitate to say, "For years we've heard of priest, ministers, pastors that have committed the whole gamut of crimes." like was just said because it singles out just clergy. I am NOT sure that I have heard of this for years ... I have heard of more stuff like that with respect to hockey coaches (maybe others with access to children).

Yes, I do believe we should expect better of clergy, but we are all sinners and we all need to be saved. Anybody can judge and condemn, but only God is in the business of saving unworthy people. Jesus came to help the unrighteous - the sick - not those who think they are doing so well on their own.

Count me among the thank-filled!
  • Options
    leadlead Member Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Being a minister, of any denomination, is one of the toughest jobs around. You have to listen to others problems all the time, but you can't get too involved emotionally. You shepard the whole flock, so you can't afford to have any close friends or you get jealousy in the church. And, since you are seen as the pastor, you usually don't have anyone you can tell your troubles to. So many churches are having trouble finding people to fill the pulpits they are taking people who aren't quite trained, and hope they will learn "on the job". My personal opinion, as a Protestant, is that the Catholic church complicates this situation in the requirement for celibasy. Some denominations have clergy in place who are "pastors to the pastors" I think the church as a whole needs to address this need. the generation that will fill tomorrow's pulpits did not grow up in the same world we did.

Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.
  • Options
    powdersmokepowdersmoke Member Posts: 3,241
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by andersk
    After most of my life on the Protestant side of things, I am now in the process of becoming Roman Catholic. I'll have to admit that the current news makes me kind of sick, but at least it is coming out now and it is being dealt with. That may be the only positive thing about the whole ugly mess.

On the other hand ... I am not quick to judge, because I know that I am also a sinner ... but for the GRACE of God, I'd probably be doing worse.

Also, I'd hesitate to say, "For years we've heard of priest, ministers, pastors that have committed the whole gamut of crimes." like was just said because it singles out just clergy. I am NOT sure that I have heard of this for years ... I have heard of more stuff like that with respect to hockey coaches (maybe others with access to children).

Yes, I do believe we should expect better of clergy, but we are all sinners and we all need to be saved. Anybody can judge and condemn, but only God is in the business of saving unworthy people. Jesus came to help the unrighteous - the sick - not those who think they are doing so well on their own.

Count me among the thank-filled!

Sorry Andersk,

It did not single out the clergy. This thread is about the clergy.

fa4d9fb5.jpg

When you wrestle a 'gator, there ain't no good end!!

"Molon Labe!" Spartan General-King Leonidas
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Todays news reports that two church sanctioned studies have reported 4392 priests identified as molestors. Now I'm not very good at math but if they have found this many, I wonder how many really are out there.

cbxjeff<P>It's too late for me, save yourself. <br>
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    Mix religion, money, power, and politics into any human equasion and I'll guarantee trouble. My problem is that the church has been covering for the miscreants and therefor breaking the very commandments its "selling".

I cannot abide such dealings and refuse to accept that there are two sides to the church, one ordained by God and the other human. My position is that the commandments are very clear. I know who's boss, I know the flesh can be weak, but I'll never accept a "holy" institution covering for sinful men and sinful acts.

I'd go so far as to venture that those who cover are guilty of a greater sin than those who acted to commit the crime. No support here!

Nord
  • Options
    ZzzzippgunZzzzippgun Member Posts: 28
    edited November -1
    We should ship them all back to Italy.
  • Options
    gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Zzzzippgun
    We should ship them all back to Italy.
    Italy isnt large enough to hold an 8th of the worlds Catholic population. They are the majority.

Larry
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was born, baptized, confirmed Catholic..That said, I often refer to myself as a "non practicing agnostic"....That's kinda like an athiest that's hedging his bets..[}:)]...A thought provoking title, eh? I do pray...to whom, I'm not really sure. There cannot be one true God amongst all those available for our attention....Or maybe He is "all of the above"...Anyway, Priests and all clergy are simply human. They are not bestowed with powers beyond you and me. OOHHHH, I'm gonna catch it here, but here goes. Some stations in life seem to attract/nurture certain lifestyles...Clergy--molesters....Male hairstylists--gays...Politicians--liars...This is not to say that most are, simply that there is a predisposition pattern here...I'm going outside to shoot now, 'cause I can here the flak coming up, and I don't care to be around to dodge splinters...

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
  • Options
    ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Statistics show that the % of pedophile clergy for all church denominations arte roughly the same, The Catholic church might have a slightly higher due to celibacy, but am not sure. Protestant pedophile clergy seem to favor young girls whereas the Catholic pedophile clergy favor young boys. The overall % of the pedophile population is about the same for all clergy. You would think because these men are clergy the % would be lower but it isn't. Some of the bishops covered up for some of these priests because they thought they were protecting the church, but actually they hurt the church. Hopefully the problem has been handled in such a manner to elimidate these crimes in the future. No wonder the clergy are held in lowest esteem of professionals next to lawyers. The majority of the strength of the churches in America are because of the lay people and not the clergy. These pedophile clergy and the ones that cover-up have tarnished the reputations of all the other good clergy and should be held accountable.

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifErie.gif
    www.awbansunset.com
  • Options
    bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ruger270man
    Statistics show that the % of pedophile clergy for all church denominations arte roughly the same, The Catholic church might have a slightly higher due to celibacy, but am not sure. Protestant pedophile clergy seem to favor young girls whereas the Catholic pedophile clergy favor young boys. The overall % of the pedophile population is about the same for all clergy. You would think because these men are clergy the % would be lower but it isn't. Some of the bishops covered up for some of these priests because they thought they were protecting the church, but actually they hurt the church. Hopefully the problem has been handled in such a manner to elimidate these crimes in the future. No wonder the clergy are held in lowest esteem of professionals next to lawyers. The majority of the strength of the churches in America are because of the lay people and not the clergy. These pedophile clergy and the ones that cover-up have tarnished the reputations of all the other good clergy and should be held accountable.

I agree. Isn't it strange that it's often the upstanding pillars of the community that are found to be pedophiles.

I am catholic and I have a theory about why these priests favor boys. For centuries priests have had to take a vow of celabacy, everyone knows that. Also Catholics have viewed homosexuality as a sin. For a catholic young man who discovers growing up that he is homosexual, he may see the priesthood as his best option. Since he has been taught that homosexuality is a sin there is a lot of shame associated with these feelings. So he sees the priesthood as a safe place to hide from that part of himself.

I think priests should be allowed to marry and have families.

From85-01.jpgTosoftair-eagle.jpg
    And everything in between.
  • Options
    Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    I agree somewhat with the idea that the Catholic Church requires celebacy of it's representatives is what make it even more appalling and therefore more newsworthy. And the fact that the Diocese seems to deal with the problems by playing their version of the old'shell game' with these criminals. In my own parish, our priest was transferred to another parish not for pedophilia, but for swindling thousands of dollars from the Parish funds, and then using the money to furnish his 'paramour's' house. Just shipped himoff to another parish without any repremand that I am aware of.

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it that the former does not submit to hereditary predjudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - Albert E.

On my tombstone:"Keep you eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel..."the Lizard King
  • Options
    Gibbs505Gibbs505 Member Posts: 3,175
    edited November -1
    The bottom line is that people are people, there are a few bad people in the church, but most are good. There are also a few bad people everywhere; kids are being molested in the home, at school, at guides and scout camps, and so on.
    The church did not handle the crisis well but that is the fault of some of the hierarcy. I hope and think that the worst of the crisis is behind us but also think that many who hate the Catholic Church will try to use this to bring down the church

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ruger270man
    ?
    Statistics show that the % of pedophile clergy for all church denominations arte roughly the same, The Catholic church might have a slightly higher due to celibacy, but am not sure. Protestant pedophile clergy seem to favor young girls whereas the Catholic pedophile clergy favor young boys.

Could I ask where these statistics came from ... I've never heard of anything like that. True, there are bad/sinful people everywhere ... but I do think we should expect better conduct from spiritual leaders.

I'm not giving up on them ... but I am praying for all that I know. Satan is out to get the shepherds of His flock, and then it will be easier to go get the sheep.