In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hunting rifle

FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I've never been hunting and am ignorant about hunting related things. Recently, my brother went hunting with some of his friends and fell in love with it. He is in college and I'm sure can't afford a rifle.

Question: Can yall suggest good reliable rifles that are cheap enough to buy as a gift. I'm assuming he would need a .308 (I think). He likes the cowboy action (not sure what thats called) but I think would be happy with bolt action. I don't think he wants a scope but would like to get him something that had the option of such an addition. What do yall think?? I like the Remingtons but are too expensive for me to get him as a gift.

Just give me some options and ideas.

Thx in advance,
Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY

Comments

• FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am finally getting my hunting license next week and have started searching for a gun to buy. I would like to hunt deer and maybe bear. I was looking at a Savage bolt-action package in .300 Winchester Magnum. I was wondering if any of you have some suggestions as to what you think might be a good beginner rifle or caliber that wont break the bank. Preferrably under 600 bucks. Thanks.

This is the Savage I was looking at.
    http://www.savagearms.com/116fxp3.htm
    edited November -1
    I currently own a Marlin 336 for hunting in southern ga. I am looking at getting another hunting rifle for a nephew of mine. What type of rifles are out there for less than $300. I bought my 336 about 3 years ago for $250 and now I can't find one for less than $400.

Thanks for your help.
    Kyle
    edited November -1
    I'm looking at a bear hunt in northern Canada.I have narrowed it to one caliber , a 45-70. What are your opinions on the marlin or the Henry arms version of this rifle. I'm leaning towards the Henry as Marlin is now produced by the wingnuts at the freedom group and Henry is a family owned and quality rifle.
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    try picking up a used remy

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Used can be a great way to pick up a fine rifle for much less than new. If you want new, take a look at Ruger Model 77 MK II. I presume "Cowboy action" is lever action and many are chambered in calibers that are a little wimpy for deer hunting in a variety of situations, especially where long shots may be needed (150 yrds. +) The Savage model 99 is an older lever that was chambered in .308 and other calibers.

He Dog
  • OklahomaboundOklahomabound Member Posts: 829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with the Ruger, great first start..
  • deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These remington packages are a Great deal right now, I have seen them for sale in Walmart at a Good price.I bought one for my Brother to start him off,A lot of deer rifle for the money in my opinion.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=15662454

use_deer.jpg
  • Winchester-muttWinchester-mutt Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NEF Handi-Rifle. Any caliber he wants, and inexpensive to boot! Should find one around $220 or so NIB.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Savage 110 for a bolt gun, Marlin 30-30 for a lever action. [:)]

gun1.gif
    "If you aim at nothing,
    you will be sure to hit it"
    hsas371x48.gif
    Santa_Cruz.gif
    [img][/img]
  • Mr.PissyPantsMr.PissyPants Member Posts: 3,575
    edited November -1
    I will echo FrancF's suggestion for the Marlin 30-30, one of the best guns and caliber combinations ever put together.

f9ef9b6e.jpg

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • kenneth and melissakenneth and melissa Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own both of these and both are good guns [:D]quote:Originally posted by FrancF
    Savage 110 for a bolt gun, Marlin 30-30 for a lever action. [:)]

gun1.gif
    "If you aim at nothing,
    you will be sure to hit it"
    hsas371x48.gif
    Santa_Cruz.gif
    Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let people have guns ...why should we let them have ideas?   --Joseph Stalin
  • outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    Just a thought to add here buddy,
    we all have our favorites on caliber, action, and brands.
    But, such an investment should also please the end user, your bro.

Any gun would be appreciated I'm sure, but a little time feelin' him out first to find where his thoughts are would go a long way in true happiness.

Hint, sneak around and ask his buds he hunted with. Then, come here to the oldtimers for suggestions on best price and where to look. Remember too, there's several dealers here that would cut their profit to help ya out. Even that wild guy from Alaska has done some favors for several GB members buying new. [;)] Pushin' the thought farther, that pawn dude might also find something used to help save you a buck. But count your change! [:D]

Far as I know, you're well liked here, nothing wrong with friends helpin' friends. It's good for everybody!
  • 96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on what he hunts. The 30-06 is a good all round cartridge adequate for most North American game. He can brew his own combo with Federal ammuntion. The Marlin 336 in 30-30 can be found used and at reasonable a reasonable price. If one is a skilled stalker it will bring down an antelope.

"Save the Whalers, they need jobs too."
  • Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A 30-30 in a used lever action is the way to go if you do not want a scope and want the cowboy action. They can be real cheap in price also. I bought a model 94 in good shape for less than $100 about 15 years ago and lost money when I sold it.

Mad Dog
    edited November -1
    Outdoor, I appreciate the kind words.

Thank you all for your advice. I have a good idea about what's out there and what the different options are. I like the remington package that deerhntr mentioned (it comes with scope too). The ruger and the savage also look great.

I'll definitely ask one of his buds about what he really wants. He did mention the lever action and if that's what it ends up being, I'll get the Marlin.

Again, thx for the ideas and help. It's cool being able to count on yall.

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
  • trooperchintrooperchin Member Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Frog,
    Hope your brother isnt hunting in MD. As I recall you live in our wonderfull state[:(]. I believe rifles are only allowed to be used in the western most counties for deer hunting.

sniper.gif

saddamgif.gif

Go Army Beat Navy
    IF you wanna have fun join the cavalry
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Two rules...

Rule #1. Dont buy a Remington 710.
    Rule #2. Buy a Ruger.

I think for someone on a budget a .308 is a great choice, especially if you want to do a lot of shooting. Surplus mil ammo is available everywhere for super cheap, just pick up a copy of shotgun news and see for yourself.

But if hes not going to do a lot of shooting, and is one of those "go to the range the week before deer season" types, tell him to get a .270 Win..

Preferably a Ruger.. [:D]

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • Gibbs505Gibbs505 Member Posts: 3,175
    edited November -1
    Lots of great suggestion. I would only add, if this isn't going to be a suprise, ask him what he would like a rifle for and then see what you can find.

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
  • Chaser11Chaser11 Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr.PissyPants
    I will echo FrancF's suggestion for the Marlin 30-30, one of the best guns and caliber combinations ever put together.

f9ef9b6e.jpg

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    -Benjamin Franklin
    [:D] [:D] Except for the Marlin 336 in .35 Rem. [:D] [:D]

American used to Roar like Lions for Liberty- Now they Bleat like Sheep for Security.
    Always Remember Security without Liberty is called PRISON! -
  • deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whats wrong with the 710?quote:Originally posted by ruger270man
    Two rules...

Rule #1. Dont buy a Remington 710.
    Rule #2. Buy a Ruger.

I think for someone on a budget a .308 is a great choice, especially if you want to do a lot of shooting. Surplus mil ammo is available everywhere for super cheap, just pick up a copy of shotgun news and see for yourself.

But if hes not going to do a lot of shooting, and is one of those "go to the range the week before deer season" types, tell him to get a .270 Win..

Preferably a Ruger.. [:D]

banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com

use_deer.jpg
  • alaskanmanalaskanman Member Posts: 362 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the 30-30 in either marlin or winchester 94 are great for close range. a Savage 110 bolt in 308 or 30-06 will be inexpensive but still a great value. just my opinion.

www.alaskancampfire.com
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I picked up a 710 at Gander Mountain and open and closed the bolt, and the thing just sreamed cheap to me. I never felt something so cheap-feeling in my life. Kinda like when I installed a stereo in a cavalier before, then I took it for a spin. The same feeling.

It just all felt like a big chunk of plastic.

banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    I don't think the 30/30 is a cowboy action round. You may want to get a 44 mag marlin. Just as good on deer sized game at 100yds or less and with 44 specials you can still do the cowboy thang. As far as a bolt gun the Savage 110 has to be about the least expensive going.

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good, Reliable, and Cheap, no scope......Sounds like a Mil-Surp to me, Yugo-48, VZ-24, M-98 (all are Mauser types chambered for the 7.92x57/8mm Mauser cartridge), M-44 Moisen-Nagant (Russian, chambered for the 7.62x54R cartridge). The above are bolt actions, so that might be a problem if he has his heart set on a lever action.
    Hunting ammo is available from multipal sources, and mil-surp ammo is plentiful and inexpensive for practicing with.

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the Savage 111 bolts are cheaper than the 110s. I have one, its a great gun. I think the newer ones have better triggers.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    a used 30-30 lever action.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd get a new or used Winchester Model 94 in 30 - 30 calibre. You just cannot eat these old timer lever action guns![:D]

Oh, yes, there is lots of newer stuff out there, and you can shoot a lot further, but most deer are taken in less than 100 yards - a lot less![:D]