In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Carter's Legacy: today's terrorism

IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in General Discussion
For 25+ years, the foreign policy of this country has been aimed at appeasing our enemies (hey, it worked for Neville Chamberlain for a year). When the Iranian fanatics seized the US embassy, Wimpy Carter pissed his pants & prayed. At the same time, 3 Russians were also taken. They were freed in short order . . . Brezhnev called Khomeni and 'suggested' this be done 'or else.' Since then, every time Americans have been attacked by Islamic crazies, the govt has spent more effort worrying about world opinion than the lives of our citizens. I agree with most everyone else who has posted today - except those urging 'moderation.' We just sacrificed xx,000 American lives on the bloody altar of moderation. The national politicians must lead, follow or get the hell out of the way - any who voice the obscenity of 'moderation' should face an immediate recall petition and early retirement. When the Mosques in Gaza equate the murder of Americans with a holy act, as they have for the past year, it's no wonder this happens. Since they want 'Jihad' so much, they should get exactly what they are asking for - it's long past time to show them the high price of American blood . . . in terms that will be passed down in the racial memories of the few survivors so they quail at the very thought of our anger.

Comments

• Options
    Patrick OdlePatrick Odle Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am an irishman, but I will freely admit that the people in Israel are the only people that knows how to effectively deal with terroist attacks. If we are to ever gain respect we will have to make all who deal in those tactics afraid of attacking America. And I for one think we should not be critical of nations whoknow how to punishtheir enemys. look at klinton and how he kept on till the palistine police were armed with aks. who did they use them on first the israeli army. recently powel threatened israel with economic and military aid being denied them if they didn't stop shooting those poor rock throwing arabs. the weeks that followed his visit proved that weakness and lack of resolve is seen by the fanatic arab as weakness and a time to strike. I say burn the bastards. they fully understand the language they speak when it is spoken back to them ten-fold.
  • Options
    Patrick OdlePatrick Odle Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I admit although carter was a weak willy,but it was another democrat that started this whole abismal affair when he prevented Mcarthur from ending the korean police-action which was the first war America ever lost.
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    "Israel the only country that knows how to deal with terrorist attacks?"They should. They perfected the art of terrorist attacks.The United States is the target of Mid-East terrorist groups because of our blind support of anything and everything Israel does. Israel acts no different than those they are fighting.
  • Options
    varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Iconoclastthank you for puttig in to words,what I have been trying to tell people alday.The peanut farmer paved the way.
    A unarmed man is a subject.A armed man is a citizen.
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lowrider -Until today, when I saw the Palestinians celebrating the deaths of thousands of innocent people, I had always felt that the Palestinians had an equally moral complaint about Israeli actions. I won't get into the events of 1949, 1967 & 1973 beyond saying that both sides have displayed a remarkable ability to hate. But I don't recall any Israeli leader calling for the extermination of Arabs / Muslims or their Soviet supporters, much less acting on it or applauding the death of xx,000 innocent people. These fanatics killed our brothers because we as a nation had the temerity to disagree with them, because we refused to allow them to complete the genocide of the pogroms and Nazis, because we were willing to take a stand our ancestors would not take in 1936. There are less noble reasons to die. And I say it is about time that they had the opportunity to do so. This was an attack on America, on our principles, on our values, on our people. It cannot, it must not, go unanswered. And the answer must be in unmistakable terms: attack America and you will suffer far more than you can ever afford. Only then will we know peace. Enough of the Carteresque whining. Now it is time for Teddy Roosevelt.
  • Options
    ref44ref44 Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Israel often warns its enemy before a retaliation so that only property is destroyed. They protect every religious shrine in the nation for all to visit. They have Palestinians in their Kenesset. Not everything Israel does is right; but the promises God made to Abraham in Genesis still apply. Those that bless Israel will be blessed; those that curse Israel will be cursed. Laugh it off if you wish; but the dustbin of history holds the proof. They are back in the land and they are back for good. No power is going to defeat them. Hide and watch!
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry iconoclast, but let's not forget that Carter was back channeled by Ronald Reagans people who told the Iranians that if they held the captives and Reagan was elected they would get more ransom and concessions. Selling weapons to both sides in a war courtesy of Ollie North was about as cynical as it gets, but selling the hostages for political advantage was yet another level of cynicism. Sorry, but you just can't put it all on Carter, he neither back channeled nor bungled the rescue attempt in the desert. He just took the hit for both.
  • Options
    beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Iconoclast, I think you got it right. Carter was more worried about being attacked by swimming rabbits(does anybody remember that?) while he was out canoeing than playing hardball with the Iranians. Don't know where he dog got his alligations but I do know that the hostages were released as soon as Reagan took power. And I think it was because of what Reagan promised if they were not released. When we locate the perps I'm pretty sure Bush will go "downtown" with something more than dumb cruise missles. And I don't mean to imply nucs. BeachP.S. I think Ollie may have been a little bit of a loose cannon and may have creatively enhanced his orders. But he did have style and he got the job done that his seniors ever so cleverly wanted of him.[This message has been edited by beachmaster73 (edited 09-12-2001).]
  • Options
    landislandis Member Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wrong answer Lowrider, Isreal has done only what it has had to to EXIST. To stay alive. It gave to the point of risking it's security in the last of the Clinton negotiations, and The palistinians (Yasser Arrofat)turned it down. Isreal is what we should be looking toward finding the answers we need now.Dave
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Aligations? It is in the testamony regarding Iran/Contra, and Bush Sr. had to scramble pretty fast to convince Congress he knew nothing about it and had nothing to do with it. I believe he was in Minot, ND at the time. It is not imaginary it happened.[This message has been edited by He Dog (edited 09-12-2001).]
  • Options
    beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    He dog...didn't mean to infer that it was imaginary...only that much of Iran-Contra was a lot of double speak from lower level functionaries who may have exceeded their authority. Beach
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't help but add in a little thought in response to this statement: "I won't get into the events of 1949, 1967 & 1973 beyond saying that both sides have displayed a remarkable ability to hate." I think that we should bring the bad guys to justice, but probably more importantly ... we should develop a remarkable ability to love! Let's show the world that we really do TRUST IN GOD.If we did that, we would hve a lot less problems. Just talking about trusting in God and then proving that we do not, only makes things worse.
    Ken