In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gun Show ettiquet.

RickstirRickstir Member Posts: 574
edited May 2002 in General Discussion
I am new to this. I have a couple of pistols that I need additional magazines for. I thought I might bring them to a gun show and see if any of the vendors had them. Just how does one do that. I could wear one as a sidearm. Do folks do that? Since Missouri is not a concel carry state, my county sheriff has explaned the legal way to carry a firarm both on my person and in my car. We have had a couple of sexual assaults in our area, and my wife and I are focusing on personal defense. We live about six miles out of town and she is there alone at times.

Back to the story. Having trouble finding sources on the internet is why I want to try the gun show vendors. One is a Colt Target .22 semiauto pistol. Very nice. 10 round magazine. The other is a 9mm pistol bought cheap at an auction. It is mfg. by Smithfield Arms. Can't find squat about them on the internet. It looks blocky and square like a Glock. Has a 9 round magazine. Gun is very simple in design. Magazine is held in place by a clip at the bottom of the pistol. Push that button backwards and the clip comes out. The gun safety is a lever that pushes down to disengage and allow the mechanism to be "shucked". That same lever is also the one you push up to lock the mechanism back for cleaning. Its about an inch shorter than my Beretta 92F, but the sighnts don't come close. Still a nice piece.

Any help on this would be appreciated. Looking forward to many hours of reading the discussions on this board. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rick just take the magazines to the gun show and try to match them up. Good luck though if your gun shows are like the ones around here -mostly overpriced junk.

PC=BS
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,960 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have gotten some magazines at shows, though ususally the price is very close to retail. There are often guys with what looks to be the stock from folded sporting goods/gun stores and they often have magazines. Badboy is right, take your magazines and match them.
  • Options
    Old hickoryOld hickory Member Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For the Colt Woodsman just order a new one from Cabelas. I have alot of Woodsmans and maagazines are frequently defective because the previous owner has fooled with them. I's be leery of any used magazine at a gun show unless the guy would give me the right to return it. You still might never be able to find the guy again. Also, out in the country I'd definetly consider a sawed off shotgun for defense!!Good luck though.
  • Options
    concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome Rickstir!

Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT Criminals

Edited by - concealedG36 on 04/29/2002 13:46:17
  • Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rickstir......Smithfield doesn't make guns, they make HAMS.
    If you haven't already, you might also try Numrich's web site.
    There are a couple of others that don't immediately come to mind. I'm sure some of the guys on the forum can give you the names.
    Don't forget, you have to add the cost of admission to the gun show as the price of your mags. If that's all you're there for, it might be cheaper to pay S&H.
    That bit of advice is from someone who goes to a show to buy a particular item and comes out with a couple of hundred bucks worth of stuff that I "needed".

Mudge the helpful

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • Options
    dobieman0690dobieman0690 Member Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bad boybobs right all the stuff at our last gun show was junk that was way overpriced tried to deal with a couple of venders and no way told them to put there product where the sun don't shine
  • Options
    YankeeClipperYankeeClipper Member Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a trade off at gun shows. Sometimes you make good deals and sometimes not so good. By in large you must enjoy the trip. Like on a motorcycles: It doesn't matter where you go ,the fun is getting there.

Helping keep America free: One gun at a time.