In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Airport security

dhdh Member Posts: 127 ✭✭✭
edited December 2001 in General Discussion
The plastic gun and metal detector thread got me thinking!

Yesterday I had to go to the North Carolina Air National Gaurd headquarters at the Charlotte International Airport to get me and my daughter new ID cards.

We got into the facility with no problems at all only telling the gaurd at the gate we were going to get ID's. He promptly gave us directions to the correct building and let us drive in.

To get to the correct building we had to drive right along the flight line and runways to this major airport!

If I can get in there with my personal viechle, just how safe are our airports?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    What good is it when you scan passagers but not security. Your tax dollars at work
    Got a 5:30am flight at Atlanta airport. Still another 45mins
  • Options
    edited November -1
    British author J.K. Rowling says she won an argument with airport security officials in New York to carry the manuscript of the final "Harry Potter" book as carryon baggage.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=entertainment&id=4562093
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I went to Hobby airport (Houston) last night to pick up some friends coming in from Idaho and I didn't see any real different security measures.I saw a couple soldiers a few times and I saw 2 cops shooting the bull and that was it.And for those of you wondering,yes the soldiers did have magazines in their weapons,unlike the photo we all saw from California.I expected to see a big LEO presence there.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The more I think about it. Having all incoming gather and backlogged into security checks is really a dumb idea. It would appear the TSA is attempting to make a big giant target. Are terrorists transfixed on taking down a plane or is it about human casualties?

Last time I flew, the TSA security check was a makeshift big room afterthought with lots of people. As Islamic terrorists are focusing more on airports, the security check seems more and more like a security threat. Then I think how the Mayor of Chicago refuses to arm airport cops in O'Hare. Glad I don't fly.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hello,
    since many years I carry some of my goodies in a special locked can inside my suitcase across the U.S. and the Atlantic. Now we have the airport security, who away from our oversight digs through our luggage. This time the clumsy broke one of my cases. Who is responsible?
    Horst Held

www.horstheld.com
  • Options
    thesupermonkeythesupermonkey Member Posts: 3,905 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dh, the mags are empty. I was at IAH last weekend and it was the same deal. Couple of soldiers, and only ticket carrying passengers pass the metal detectors.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a friend who got called up to active duty in the Coast Guard and they had to go thru all the firearm training again before going on duty.Apparently the USCG won't carry any kind of ammo that might penetrate metal for fear of rupturing a tank of some sort along the port where he is patroling.