In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

President Bush gave a Great Speech! Just one, teensy problem.

Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in General Discussion
Don "Jet-Eye" Loucks Column posted weekly 21 September 2001 Great Speech! Just one, teensy problem. President Bush gave a wonderful speech -- his very best. The crisis of the attack on on American brought out the best in him. It made me feel proud, strong and warm, until he announced the creation of yet another federal bureaucracy: The Office of Homeland Defense. If that did not frightened you, just wait a little while and the results will indeed scare you; if you are lucky. The kind of tactics our government are already responsible for many deaths of the "unintended consequences" kind. There are scores of cases where police in the U.S. raided the wrong house, killing occupants. Police stop cars and ask the driver is he has any drugs or guns. After a negative response, the cop will then say: "Since you don't have any, you don;t mind if I search your car do you?" (The correct answer for the driver to give here is: "Hell, yes I mind! You want in my car, go get a warrant! And by the way, I want your supervisor and my lawyer on the scene pronto!") If the reader is someone who is vaguely familiar with his constitutional rights, he will get an inkling at what I am getting at. The government will be attempting to shame us into giving up our rights. They will say the same things that dictators have said all last century. Here are some in order of escalation they follow: We are conducting this search in the interests of national security. We would appreciate your cooperation. Please get out of your car so we can check it over. We had an anonymous tip that you might explosives in your home. Leave now and let us perform a sweep. [Then, later] No explosives were found. But we did come across these firearms which we are required by law to confiscate. Here is you receipt. This is a government check point! Get out of the car or be shot! [Blam! Blam! Blam!] "Those jerks didn't move fast enough for my liking!" Sound far-fetched? Such graduated terror happened several times last century -- all with the initial consent of the governed. You see, people allow it to happen. One must always remember human nature as it pertains to crisis. People are frightened of change. Terror attacks are an ultimate kind of "threatened change." Listen to the words of President Bush's speech and you will hear both reassurance and threat of change. Stick with Bush and change will be minimal. Go against Bush and be plunged into chaos. That goes for both foreign governments and Americans. Congress has been anxious to gain more power of the American people. The more information they can glean, the more they and others will know about individual habits. They will know what we respond to and what we buy. And what can be taxed. They will also learn what we will fight for, or against. But more than those areas of information, they will learn how to sell other changes to us. They will learn the words that work against our freedom at the same time assuring us our freedom will be safe. They will strive to make us feel happy about being taxed and unable to defend ourselves. They will get a steel grip on our lives and tell us when it is time for the old and ill when it is time for them to die. And the war they are protecting us from will never, ever end. After all, if it ends, what use will the Office of Home Defense be? Be forewarned. This is Jet-Eye, Over and Out.

Comments

• Options
    Evil ATFEvil ATF Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Free N TXFree N TX Member Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I regretably agree. When I heard him talk about the Homeland Defense and how the war against terrorism was going to be fought. The President stated that we would hear of some battles and some we would not ever know about made me wonder just how far they would go, both over there and in America.Many times our own government has done covert operations in our own country, most of them came to light many years later with the freedom of information act, usually it was accidently released and then played down once the error had been discovered.There is no doubt in my mind, we must pay very close attention as to what goes on from here on out, or else our freedom(s) and the right to bear arms will be lost forever.
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    even if Bush and all his current administrators were determined to not misuse any additional powers granted to them, you can be sure that some future admininstration will abuse them (and us).
  • Options
    Patrick OdlePatrick Odle Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why doesn't Operation Enduring Freedom as if it takes effort to endure, not read instead Kicking EVERY Deserving Arab A#@$%^&*?