In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

U.S. flags, guns sell briskly

Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in General Discussion
U.S. flags, guns sell briskly http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/orl-locguns12091201sep12.story?coll=orl-home-headlines By Henry Pierson Curtis and Doris Bloodsworth | Sentinel Staff Writers Posted September 12, 2001 Gun and flag sales peaked across Central Florida as defiant, fearful residents rushed to arm themselves Tuesday and display their patriotism.Many were first-time buyers, some not even knowing how to load their weapons.By 4 p.m., Buck's Gun Rack in Daytona Beach had sold 9,000 bullets -- at least 400 percent above an average day -- and more than 10 rifles and shotguns."It's like a hurricane. You may have four cans of tunafish at home, and you still go out and buy more," said Forrest Buckwald, co-owner of the store."Today, everybody bought."The same sense of urgency spurred sales at M&M Flags and Banners in Longwood."By Friday there won't be no flags left in the country," said owner James Knapton, who ordered $20,000 of U.S. flags by late afternoon. "When this stuff happens, they just sell, bare out to the walls."Still, ammunition outsold the Stars and Stripes."It's a concentrated Y2K situation that started since we opened up this morning," said Khaled Akkawe, who sold more than 100 assault rifles and shotguns through his two Shoot Straight gun stores in Apopka and Casselberry.Most sales reported across the region involved rifles and shotguns, which don't require a three-day waiting period. But the state's three-day wait for handguns didn't appear to deter anyone."To me, it seems rather fruitless that they're buying them. But, still, I think it's the frustration people feel," said owner Chuck Love, a former Marine and owner of Love's Gun & Pawn in DeLand."They want to do something, so that's what they're doing -- they're buying guns."Gun dealers said the Florida Department of Law Enforcement reported a big surge Tuesday in requests for mandatory criminal-background checks for potential gun buyers. FDLE workers would not comment.At Shoot Straight in Casselberry, Liam Cuddy, 36, of Chuluota bought a $300, 12-gauge shotgun, one of 35 sold by midafternoon.He grew up around terrorism in Dublin, Ireland, but he never considered owning a gun until he watched the World Trade Center topple."I didn't have a gun in the house until today," said Cuddy, who lives on five acres with his wife and 8-year-old child. "This has really shocked me."At the opposite end of the counter, Syed Hassab Qadri, 23, a day trader who lives in Maitland, was buying a handgun.His colleagues working at a branch office of Momentum Securities on the 83rd floor of the World Trade Center almost certainly died in the attack. And fear about an anti-Islamic backlash in Central Florida prompted law enforcement to provide security for his mosque and its religious leaders, he said."I had been planning for a couple of weeks to get a gun," Qadri said. "But because of today's events, I decided not to wait."In Kissimmee, the walls of Gun Land were all but stripped bare. Up to 40 people crammed into the tiny gun shop on Orange Blossom Trail.It was the busiest day ever for a business specializing in assault rifles and handguns.By late afternoon, Gun Land's supplier announced its warehouse was empty. There were no more guns for sale, said Ben Woodall, 51.The run started with the first TV broadcasts of the attacks on New York City and Washington, D.C."Anytime something like this happens, this happens," said Ted Bickish, manager of Rieg's Gun Shop & Shooting Range in Orlando. "It's people panicking."The pace was much slower in Mount Dora, where the A.W. Peterson Gun Shop has been in business since 1957."I wouldn't say we've had a panic -- fear of invaders hitting the shores," said co-owner Steuart Baker, who sold only one deer rifle all day.At shop after shop, dealers said their customers were somber throughout the day."Nobody's freaking out," Buckwald said in Daytona Beach while selling 500 rounds of ammunition. "It's more a 'What if everything breaks down?' "Denise-Marie Balona, Anthony Colarossi and Willoughby Mariano contributed to this report. Henry Pierson Curtis can be reached at hcurtis@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5411. Doris Bloodsworth can be reached at 407-420-5411 or dbloodsworth@olandosentinel.com. Copyright c 2001, Orlando Sentinel

Comments

• Options
    alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
    Guns shouldn't have been sold to ragheads!
  • Options
    Evil ATFEvil ATF Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Guns shouldn't have been sold to ragheads!"?What on Earth are you babbling about, alledan? Do you REALLY think that some Middle East tango is going to walk into Billy Bob's Rod and Gun to buy his weapon? Hell no! He's not going to mess around with a semi-auto Glock when he can walk down the street and buy a full auto MAC-10 from some drug pusher for $250. I'm more than a little offended, and I'm not even a "raghead". Sieg Hiel, eh Al?
  • Options
    Shootist3006Shootist3006 Member Posts: 4,171
    edited November -1
    Never let it be said that I agree with the ATF (until now). The Evil one has it right, we don't need xenophobic, racist garbage. Hell, we don't even know for sure who we need to destroy but it sure isn't all the "ragheads".Find out who did it, who supported them and blow them away. Find other ways to punish those who danced in the streets at our tragedy. Let there be no mistake, I truely hate those idiots in the mideast who appear to celebrate this evil act but racist hatred ain't the answer.
    Quod principi placuit legis habet vigorem.Semper Fidelis
  • Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Josey.....I'm going to ASSUME that your piece was copied from a newspaper and you were not the one who inserted the, obviously, incorrect information about the gun shop selling "assault rifles". As we all know, an "assault rifle" has a full auto capability so I'm reasonably sure there were none being carried away in the hands of "walk in" patrons. Mudge
    Anyone who CAN carry, SHOULD carry!
  • Options
    spec.4spec.4 Member Posts: 897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All my co-workers said that if any thing else happen, they are going to my house because of all the "toys" that I have. My clark said she does not know how to fire a weapon, but she said that she will learn fast. I was laughing my tail off when she said that because she does not like gun or hunting animals. Now she is having second thoughts. Make me wonder how many anti-gun change their minds.Spec.4
  • Options
    Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mud,"Semi-automatic rifles, including many defined as "assault weapons" by the 1994 federal gun-ban, are used for formal marksmanship competitions, recreational target shooting and hunting. Semi-automatic shotguns are very widely used for hunting as well as skeet, trap and sporting clays shooting. Semi-automatic handguns are used in formal marksmanship competitions, as well as for recreational shooting and some hunting. Many semi-automatic firearms, including some affected by the federal assault weapons law, are highly valued by gun collectors. They are also commonly kept and, as witnesses testified during hearings before the U.S. House of Representatives Crime Subcommittee in 1995, used for protection "http://www.nraila.org/FactSheets.asp?FormMode=Detail&ID=59But at least you were right about me pasting the story.
  • Options
    Patrick OdlePatrick Odle Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm with you alledan. That may cause some empty headed know-nothing to say that is racist but given a choice I would rather be called a racist than an idiot. No guns for ragheads. Let them stick to piloting planes and just see how easy it is to get their hands on another one. never happen!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So now I'm an empty-headed, know nothing because I think it's wrong to persecute an entire race for the faults of a few? You won't see me shedding any tears when we turn the Middle East into a glass parking lot, don't get me wrong. But saying that all Middle Easterners are ragheads is like saying all Mexicans are spics, all Chinese are chinks, all blacks are *, and all whites are Redneck trailer-trash. I say that there is nothing wrong with ANYONE wanting to defend himself. I seriously doubt that the guy who walked into that gunshop was one of the terrorists. People like you are part of the problem. You give gun owners a bad name and image. You're every bit as bad as the Sarah Bradys of the world:"All the guns and safety for me, but screw everyone else! Only I deserve the RTKBA!"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Evil I did not call you empty headed .I am more direct than that. I know from experence that all that share that religon is basically one person and the only thing that will make them wait is that they can fool people until they get ready to make their move. I in my youth trusted the mohammed that did our laundry when I was in libya. I had known him for 7 to 8 months and thought well of him. he was caught by 2 G.I.s after cutting a A/2s throat and robbing him of just a few piasties. The Two beat him severely then walked and dragged him to the A.P. shack where they turned him over. Now it is allways best to be able to say something Good about someone But when you wind up being so wrong about something or someone it leaves the taste in your mouth.now please don't wear the shoe if it doesn't fit.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Pat:I basically called Alledan a racist because of his need to lump all Arabs into being "ragheads". You went on to say that anybody who would view that as being racist was an empty-headed know nothing. I don't see how I could have possibly misinterpreted that statement, but, if I did, then I'm sorry for my remarks.
  • Options
    thesupermonkeythesupermonkey Member Posts: 3,905 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    People like you really piss me off. "No guns for ragheads", "Guns shouldn't have been sold to ragheads". How about this one, guns shouldn't be should to brain dead, hotheaded, trailer trash rednecks like yourself. My dad's wife is Turkish, and now since my brother looks like he is from the middle east he's getting all sorts of $h|t from people like you. In this time when we should be pulling together we have a handful of ignorant * who are persecuting our fellow Americans. If the K-Mart in your area isn't selling you guns, its doesn't surprise me.
    "Mommy said there were no real monsters but there are..." [This message has been edited by thesupermonkey (edited 09-14-2001).]
  • Options
    TLynnTLynn Member Posts: 353 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If they are a citizen of this country and have no felonies - hell yes let them buy a gun!!!I don't care what color, race or sex they may be - they've got as much rights as I do or any of you here do!EvilATF - I'm with you on this one 100%.And I'm just paranoid enough that the AK is loaded at all times now.[This message has been edited by TLynn (edited 09-14-2001).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    TLynn,When did you join the Kalashinkov fan club? I've got two SARs and am thinking about an evil black third one...
  • Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Josey.....I don't have it in front of me but the last time I read the the military (I think) description of an assault rifle it said (and I paraphrase) "a light, medium power rifle with fully automatic capability"I could be wrong. Once in 66 years ain't bad.Mudge
    Anyone who CAN carry, SHOULD carry!Let me update that.Anyone who CAN carry, BETTER carry.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    supermonkey - had been working on the deal since before I left for Virginia in July. The gentleman was kind enough to hold it till I got back from my trip and could find a dealer here that I could go through.So while I've theoretically had the AK for a month - I just finally picked it up yesterday evening (and I already know how to break it down and put it back together compliments of berto64 Monday afternoon).He made me take it apart 3 times and put it back together before he'd let me go back to my car (lololol).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Now if I can just convince all of you to go out and buy a chrome plated jennings 25 with hand painted day glow orange home boy nyte sytes and attached mini bayonet. Viva la Ugly Guns!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    supermonkey - I don't think so....a Jennings for crying out loud?Give me my Beretta's!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    YOU know it really worrys me that you are peed at me. Try smilling while some arab cuts your throat it will make them feel much better.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Jeez Patrick, I guess you won't be selling those nasty ragheads any knives either?
  • Options
    twinstwins Member Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Turkey IS pretty much in the middle east, it borders Syria, Iraq, Iran, Georgia and Armenia. I think you get the point. That does not mean that someone should be harrassed, but then again, emotions are high and people are only human. I have seen more biggits that are minorities than not. If you were in their country do you think you would be even be alive right now? I don't. T is right, IF they ARE a CITIZEN ( I don't care how long they have been here, if they are not a citizen they have no constitutional right to anything) and no felonies, let them buy, Otherwise they have no CONSTITUTIONAL right to buy and or possess in the USA. That WOULD include all "foreingers", student or not.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Turning the middle east into a glass parking lot WOULD be persecuting all for the actions of SOME.
  • Options
    concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I heard a good point on the radio today. Why is it that we are so afraid to profile the type of person who is causing us to many problems? Isn't it true that almost 100% of all terrorist hijackings occur because of ARAB terrorists? I am so sick of all this politically correct BS. Monkey, I know where you stand and I have respect for your opinion. But, as stated earlier in this thread, most bigots ARE minorities. Most of the white men in this country can't even speak their opinion for fear of some backlash from a protected minority. I've had it, I think we should treat all ARABS as potential terrorists until we can ascertain who is and is not one. I live near Dearborn, Michigan which has one of the highest numbers of Arab immigrants in the U.S. I don't feel that safe knowing that some of them might actually have information that they're not willing to share. I also think that we should treat them like we are treating Pakistan. You either cough up those that are involved or know something or you will ALL be treated as suspects. Believe me, I fully appreciate the fact that we NEED to be tolerant. My mother is not a U.S. citizen and I wouldn't want her to be blamed for anything that she had no involvement in. HOWEVER, until we can stand up like real men and say that we've had enough, we're going to kick everyone who doesn't cooperate's *, we'll just be blowing smoke...In times of War there are those who are 100% with us and the rest are our enemies...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Concealed,99% of Serial Killers are intelligent, white males between the ages of 20 and 40. Perhaps we should arrest all of them until we can prove "who is and is not one". Let's not concern ourselves with how this will effect that person's job, reputation, or family. Let's disregard the moral fabric of our society and the words "innocent until proven guilty". While we're at it, why not wax them all and let god sort 'em out?I'm not racist, I just want to wax every (*/raghead/spic/gook/cracker) I see...
  • Options
    royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let me see if I am hearing this correctly. You say these people in the Middle east have been a thorn in civilization's butt for thousands (Yes thats right THOUSANDS)of years and you want to give them yet one more chance before we pass judgement on these people? Maybe some of you that love these people should go live there and give them your daughters too so it will increase the strength of your depleted gene pool. I go on record right now anything short of a nuke is a big letdown and a standing invitation for more. How many more people must die before you people have had enough. I have seen too much already. When the body count went past ONE that was enough for me. This is AMERICA people. You do gooders make me sick. Some of you need to die in your sleep tonight. So get on with it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Monkey, I know what you're saying. That argument is what I was trying to avoid. I did not say I hate anyone. I'm just saying that we can't keep *-footing around. These Islamic extremists KILLED THOUSANDS of Americans (likely, of ALL races) and I am pissed. I am willing to fight and willing to kill and if needed, willing to die. I don't think we should run out and lock up every Arab American. I DO think we should pursue all leads both inside and outside of the U.S. If ANY of our internal leads point to any of the Arabs in our country we need to treat them exactly like we'll be treating our enemy overseas. Of couse we need to be tolerant, otherwise we're just like them. But, we MUST be strong and realize that bullsh!t political correctness needs to stop. I do not trust Arabs, based on THEIR TRACK RECORD. The ones who are here legally and are peaceful may stay here as long as they like. But, if I find out that any of them is involved IN ANY WAY I will not hesitate to turn them in while holding them at gunpoint. In the meantime, shouldn't we consider checking into some of these folks to make sure they're even supposed to be here?By the way, based on this and other posts you've made it seems you're quite the pacifist. This is a time of war, we need to be aggresive and fight. I do not agree with you on this topic I guess.
  • Options
    HighNoonHighNoon Member Posts: 444 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What I see here is why I think there can never be world peace. The strength of this country has always been based on the diversity and tolerance of its people. Sure, some people immigrate to the U.S. to perpetrate evil deeds, but the vast majority come here to get away from the very thing that started this last week.Read the inscription on the Statue of Liberty, "Give me your tired, your poor,".....We obviously haven't learned anthing from history. Look at what we did to Japanese-american citizens during WWII. We put them in camps, isolating them from the rest of us. Many of those people, believe it or not, helped us to win the war.I understand how emotions can get the best of us, but my God, don't turn on your own countrymen because of their ethnic origin. None of us, except for the American Indian, are "original Amercians."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Royc38,I hate to break the news to you, but tracing the roots of mankind back a thousand years or so will reveal that everyone on this planet originally came from the Middle East. I hope that only the guilty are punished. I for one will never condone the slaughter of innocent women and children. So sorry to hear that "Do Gooders" make you sick. Why not just shave your head, become the Nazi your self absorbed, racist attitude proclaims you to be and kill whomever you like? Concealed,Pacifist, not really... though I do take it as a complement. I'm simply talking about Common Sense. If you can't trust your Arab neighbor, how can I trust you knowing you own all those "ASSAULT RIFLES"? Catch my drift? Now is not the time to recklessly and carelessly persecute people because of the way they appear. Now is the time to focus on fact, to identify the enemy and destroy him with as few innocents lost as possible. I will fly my flag high knowing that it stands for JUSTICE and PRIDE because without those, it doesn't matter which flag you raise.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Monkey, okay, I see your point. And, I'm running on high emotion levels right now. Obviously, I do not want anybody who is innocent to be hurt or killed. However, as has been the case throughout history, sometimes the innocent poeple get caught in the middle. I agree, we need to trust our neighbors for I could be the next target of somebody's dislike. On the other hand, how do we balance this with the right to protect ourselves from people like bin Laden? If we have some of his cells in the U.S., should we treat them as countrymen? If so, this tragedy will happen again and again. I guess these aren't easy decisions and this is a complicated issue. I apologize if my statements made me out to be a racist or somebody who'd like to see innocent people being killed, for that is not the case. I am very angry, and I do know that I would LOVE to kill those responsible myself. How should we handle this? Maybe some other opinions will help me refine my viewpoint. [This message has been edited by concealedG36 (edited 09-17-2001).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Supermonkey:I am very pleased that you still have the freedom to voice your opinion. I also agree with a lot of your posts that I have seen in the past. I also wonder how long that will continue to be so. We are at war. As for tracing your lineage I am pleased to say that there is some evidence that our roots originated in Africa, and just recently bones were discovered in Australia that predate the ones in Africa. As for your comments about me that is fine but just remember one thing, As long as there are people in this country like me there can be people like you. Without people like me you wouldn't be allowed to exist. So I hope it doesnt take another World Trade disaster before the American people wake up but looking at what is happening I am afraid something worse is in the offing. I don't want to see any more Americans killed. As I stated before 1 was too many. I am worried about everyone's safety including yours even though I have never met you. So if that in your eyes makes me a Nazi then charge me guilty and send me a swastica. I have been of service for this country in the past. I have put country before comfort and easy money. So if by some chance you find yourself in a foxhole with me. If you won't shoot the enemy at least please load my spare mags thank you.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Royc,I appologize for attacking you, my intent was to attack your post but I got sidetracked. I have no problem with fighting for my country, I just want to be fighting the right people.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you Supermonkey. I also am taking back some of what I said. I guess its just the moment we are living in.
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A most enlightening topic....seems like each time we are attacked we go after the first person that "Looked Like" the perpetrator. This is what happened after Pearl Harbor, if you looked like an oriental, you represent the enemy. Same with Hispanics and the Spanish-American War, Germans and WWI & WWII. When Vietnam war protestors began bombing and rioting, anyone that resembled a long haired hippy flower child was the enemy. I saw the same thing happen when Iran took the American Hostages, if you looked like an Iranian...you were in big trouble.It's only predictable that the elusive enemy we so desperately want to get our hands on....well,...he sort of looks like some of the American citizens living in our neighborhoods, and that's close enough for most people.American's may have some faults and few rotten stinkers amoung us, but we pride ourselves in being just and fair.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It's called profiling, get over it. It does stop and catch criminals. It does snag innocents. It is done to whites as well. More innocent americans were killed on the 11th than will be harrassed in the coming time, however long it will be. AND harrassed is better than dead. If you are not a US citizen, you don't have the protection of the constitution. If that is so bad, you can go back where you are from and live so much better. Oh wait, that was why you came here, to live better.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    There are many types of blood laid on the alter of freedom, to insult a race is to insult those very ones who have died for the freedom we have...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sell ragheads knives definetly not .REmember that was the weapon of choice in the recent hijackings. I would rather be an arab anti than an arab lover in view of the recent happenings. but after all this is America and to each his own.No time to tiptoe and whisper.