In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

GUN SHOW PROTECTION Feedback please

Patrick OdlePatrick Odle Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2001 in General Discussion
In the Dec. 1st issue of Shotgun news on page 198 Ron Dickson suggests a means of thepeople most affected by the gun show loopholeuniting to create a very large voice againstdenying honest owners from making trades,selling outright to other owners,not subject to fedral background checks. has anyone read this article and what is the thinking of the members at large. I think we all agree that somthing positive has to be done, or else when a great many of us olderones that did not have televisions as parents die off there is going to be one mellof a hess for our kin we leave behind.

Comments

• Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Patrick......What "gun show loophole" are you speaking of? Maybe I'm being super-sensitive about that phrase because it's one the gun-grabbers use to justify their attempts to close down the shows. I, personally, don't believe there is a "loophole". I didn't read the SGN article so your question isn't clear to me.Mudge the perplexed
    I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • Options
    ref44ref44 Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "gun show loophole" is the term used by anti-gun people to refer to the fact that guns can be purchased at gun shows from individuals (rather than FFL's) without a background check and 4473. Colorado passed a law last November requiring that ALL transfers at gun shows (including the parking lot) must go through an FFL for the background check and 4473. The issue would not pass the legislature, but was added to the ballot after an intensive petition campaign was conducted by a parent of a Columbine victim. The young woman who bought the guns used by the killers bought the guns at a gun show, but later said she would not have done it had she been required to go through a background check. I do those transfers for the show promoter in my area.A federal bill stalled in Congress some time back; but you bet we will see it again.
  • Options
    Judge DreadJudge Dread Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How many times it must be told ?... if morecontrols are put in the more money the mafia will make selling guns in the future !... Remember The US prohibition era..... Look at DRUGS NOW ............ Look at guns in the future......
    I judge Thee!, Not for what you are , but for what you say !
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mudge The article proposed that a combination of,Gun Show Promotors, Gun Show Exhibitors, andGun Show Attendees, form a union to make the vote seekers aware of the enormity of our presense, and therby give credence,either willing or unwilling.George Bush would not have been elected,had it not been for the honest gun owners and it would help our cause immensely if he were made aware of it. Please if you have not read this article, and you have an intrest in our freedoms, as few as there might doesn't continue to erodethen please by all means do so. please don't wait and regret it later. It doesn't appear to me from the responses thus far that anyone except me has read. Ron Dickson's #is 513 523 3574. He is the originater.
  • Options
    travelortravelor Member Posts: 442 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would like to have a picnic...all private collectors are invited. This is not a show....but if you want to bring along any toys you would like to sell, then I'm sure some of us might like to buy...maybe we could just exchange pictures, and phone numbers, then meet at our conviences at any latter date or location....I have a set of marbles, a few tonka trucks, a broken bicycle, and maybe even a few tinker toys...what do you have?
    keep lots of extra uppers for your ar..you can change often enough to keep the thing from over heating...what ever caliber fits the moment..~Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    Walt NunleyWalt Nunley Member Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I AGREE WITH MUDGE I LOSE MY MIND WHEN SOMEONE MENTIONS THE LOOPHOLE.IVE ALREADY CONTACTED SENATORS THOMPSON(R) AND FRIST(R) TENN.BUT ILL HELP WITH WHATEVER....
    Submarine Sailor,Truck Driver,and very bad typist.GO RUSTY #2
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Travelor I have bamboozlers, whirlywhizzers, dancin-doozies, jumping jacks, cane-whistles, nail-puzzles. marble-puzzles, and can-jo's made by own two hands. what is the proposed date and location?