In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anaconda attacks

alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
edited December 2001 in General Discussion
The following is from the US Government Peace Corps Manual for its volunteers who work in the Amazon Jungle. It tells what to do in case you are attacked by an anaconda. This is what the manual said:1. If you are attacked by an anaconda, do not run. The snake is faster than you are.2. Lie flat on the ground. Put your arms tight against your sides, your legs tight against one another3. Tuck your chin in.4. The snake will come and begin to nudge and climb over your body.5. Do not panic6. After the snake has examined you, it will begin to swallow you from the feet and - always from the end. Permit the snake to swallow your feet and ankles. Do not panic7. The snake will now begin to suck your legs into its body. You must lie perfectly still. This will take a long time.8. When the snake has reached your knees slowly and with as little movement as possible, reach down, take your knife and very gently slide it into the side of the snake's mouth between the edge of its mouth and your leg, then suddenly rip upwards, severing the snake's head.9. Be sure you have your knife.10. Be sure your knife is sharp.

Comments

• Options
    Judge DreadJudge Dread Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You missed the part that is recomended to carry a big roll of toilet paper if you think this is ever goin to happen to you .( Even if you kill the snake be sure the "turkey" is goin to loose the filling !)
    I judge Thee!, Not for what you are , but for what you say !
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Saxon ,is clear you have not seen jungle anacondas and were "disinformed" with the badly made movie of its name ... at 36 to56 feet long , even cows are not safethe boddy is 10 to 25 inches thick and canexpand to fit a cubic yard or more....Reality is worst than fiction.. in 1946 myfather (MP stationed in Panama captured a96 feet giant snake that swallowed a familyof 5, 2 adults and 3 children. he stills keeps some pictures of some of thoose mounsters.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have some photos of an anaconda that swallowed a Peruvian oil exploration worker.The worker had gone for a nap in the Amazoniaregion at the headwaters of the Amazon.The snake was pictured in the bed of a pickup truck with the worker fully swallowed and again when when the snake was cut open and the fully clothed body was exposed.
  • Options
    BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    Large snakes dont need to chase a person down. They just use their body length to stretch themselves out when they attack. A full-sized male king cobra, for instance, can be 10-12 feet long and will spring 5-10 feet in a fraction of a second to attack.This is assuming of course you havent shot it by then :-)
  • Options
    turboturbo Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw a 15' anaconda swallow a 150 lb. deer horns and all on a documentary in disbelief.As for outrunning a human? ; I'd say the person that lets himself be caught by a snake like that, so he can practice this here escape manuver deserves to be eaten.Remember, survival of the fittest and natural selection is the category by which you will be judged...
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    A 96 foot snake? Right.I have a 2000 pound bulldog that killed and ate a medium-sized herd of cattle.
    Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Judge buddy I think you need to check the size on your stetson. I would try going from 6&7/8 to maybe 7&1/2.
    " Everyone is ignorant, only on different subjects" Will Rogers
    standard.jpg
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    While I was in Brazil's Amazonia region, some clients came across an Anaconda that was 6 meters long (about 20'), it was as big around as a man's waist and took 7 men to pick it up and haul it back to the river...they look at these snakes with much reverence and will move it rather than kill them. Never got a good nights sleep the whole time I was there.....
  • Options
    bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i once had a garter snake -the little bas&&&d ate my first landcruiser.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    ANACONDA ATTACK MANUAL1. If you are attacked by an anaconda, do not run. The snake is faster than you are.2. Shoot the snake numerous times with a shotgun until all movement ceases.3. Be sure you have your shotgun.4. Be sure your shotgun is loaded.
  • Options
    travelortravelor Member Posts: 442 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Second alternative....1)allow the snake to swallow you completely2)retrieve your super blaster which he swallowed first3)pull trigger4)take showeralways make sure you carry your supper blaster fully charged.always close your eyes before firing your supper blaster in any enclosed environment.always carry a solar heated portable shower.
    keep lots of extra uppers for your ar..you can change often enough to keep the thing from over heating...what ever caliber fits the moment..~Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    ghotie_thumperghotie_thumper Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    1. Get off the crack pipe.2. Put the Magic Mushrooms away.3. Take your lithium regularly.4. Double up on your Prozac.5. Snakes don't kill people, People kill People.A 96 foot snake, heh heh hahahahahahahahahaha.......zzzzzzzzz ya right.
  • Options
    mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If swallowed, team up with family of five and live a cramped but intimate existence inside the snake. Slaughter previously eaten elephant for sustenance, and the 4,000 gallons of water the snake drinks every two days should provide ample water for drinking and bathing.
  • Options
    SXSMANSXSMAN Member Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,960 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ho, Ho, Ho, It is Christmas, not April Fool's Day! Depending on which claim you believe the longest snake ever measured is either 31.5 feet (reticulated python) or 38 feet (anaconda, but measured on a preserved skin, which would have a lot of stretch). I personally accept the reticulated python record. Anacondas on the other hand are clearly the largest considering mass as well as length, and can weigh over 300 pounds (captives, not wild). There is one authenticated record of a giant snake eating a human, in India in the early part of the last century. A boy of 11 or 12 and said to be small for his size was killed and/or eaten by a reticulated python. There is an additional record of an 18 year old African youth being killed by an African rock python, which was unable to swallow him. this took place within the last 30 years. There have been a number of photos on the net showing a large reticulated python cut open to reveal a swallowed human and these photos are hoaxes. While large pythons can indeed eat pigs, goats and small antelope none is capable of streaching it's jaws to encompass the shoulders of a grown human. Guys, (and gals) this has been my specialty for the past 30 years, I would not kid about it, nor do I accept folk lore as fact.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ummm, and as far as that government advice goes, don't snakes normally swallow their prey head first?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Oh, and don't anacondas and other constrictorsnormally kill their prey before they swallow it? Wouldn't they be able to sense your hearbeat and breathing, even if you were very still?By the way, this whole story pops up on all those urban myth boards.
  • Options
    .280 freak.280 freak Member Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, geez, ya don't think the original post was meant tongue in cheek, do ya?Some folks are WAY too serious.At least some of the responders on this thread took it the right way.Sheesh.[This message has been edited by .280 freak (edited 11-28-2001).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    SXSMAN..good link...makes ya think...When I was 5 or 6 years old, in Attica, N.Y., on family owned woodland, I was walking down a trail just around dusk, when I tripped over something on the trail. When I got up and looked to see what it was, I was horrified....It was a very large, black snake. I think it had to be 3" around, and I'm guessing 10' long. I was so young, that I didn't consider size, only that it was big, and took a while to slither off into the woods. Could have been bigger around, but certainly no smaller...it was larger around than my leg.. I have never forgotten it, I can tell you that. Another time, when I was about 13, while fishing off of a rowboat in a small lake in Wisconsin, called Lake Witter, Myself and two brothers saw a very large, red colored snake swimming across the bottom of the lake, about 8' down. I think it had to be 15' long, and 6" in diameter. Just slowy swam under our boat. I never swam in that lake again. And have talked with my brothers many times about that snake, through the years, and neither of them has forgotten either. My older brother has found out that it is a rare speceis of water snake known to exist in that lake. Quite harmless, I'm told.
    keep lots of extra uppers for your ar..you can change often enough to keep the thing from over heating...what ever caliber fits the moment..~Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~[This message has been edited by travelor (edited 11-28-2001).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Too many uppers Travelor- The largest snakes in North America reach barely over 8 feet and are found in the south. The climate is simply too cool and the activity season too short for snakes to ever reach the size you describe. More likely the black snake was more like 6' and 1.5 inches in diameter.Adrenalin is a wonderful magnifier of snakes and other dread crawlies.
  • Options
    ZwickeymanZwickeyman Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lets put it this way a snake would be full of crap before he got to my ankles so he would most likely lose his apetite. Besides if anyone thinks I'm going to lay still enough for anything to swallow me they are if for a very large surrrrrrrprise
  • Options
    usmc2498215usmc2498215 Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We could just all stay the hell out of the Amazon Jungle and not labor ourselves with this situation. How about something more close to home, like those of us who often hunt near grizzlie bear habitats. To some of these beasts, we hunters are a delicasy.
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    Now down here,particularly on the other coast(Miami)pythons and such have gotten loose from zoos during hurracanes etc.,and have been released by or ecaped from peoples homes.The climate suits them very well,and they have been known to feed at dumps,on rats,* etc.I expect they getting very plentiful by now,and it`s only a matter of time before ol Lord Beekeeper meets one in the swamp.I can tell you one thing,his * better be the one playin` dead!!!.218
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That'd make a lot of boots. I once killed an anaconda for a pair. Turned out he wasn't wearing any.Clouder..
  • Options
    njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    OK you guys asked for it! You say you got large snakes, but don't prove it. Here in NJ, we have cats that can eat your dam snakes and here is the proof. -Charlie
    It's the stuff dreams are made of AngelMember: NRA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2AMPD and the AARP. njretcop@copmail.com [This message has been edited by njretcop (edited 11-28-2001).]
  • Options
    Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Big Snakes The largest-known snake in the world is the Anaconda, or Eunectes murinus, of South America. It holds the world's record for size with one specimen, encountered by petroleum geologist in eastern Columbia in the 1944, measuring 37 1/2 feet in length. Somewhere deep in the southern swamps do they grow bigger? According to Colonel Percy H. Fawcett, a former British Army officer, surveyor and adventurer in the early 1900's, they do: We were drifting easily along on the sluggish current not far below the confluence of tigor and the Rio Negro when almost under the bow there appeared a triangular head and several feet of undulating body. It was a giant anaconda. I sprang for my rifle as the creature began to make its way up the bank, and hardly waiting to aim smashed a .44 soft-nosed bullet into its spine, ten feet below the wicked head. At once there was a flurry of foam, and several heavy thumps against the boat's keel, shaking us as though we had run on a snag... Fawcett describes how they stopped and examined the body. Though he had no ruler, he guessed the length of the creature at sixty-two feet with a twelve-inch diameter. "Such large specimens as this may not be common, but the trails in the swamps reach a width of six feet and support the statements of Indians and rubber pickers that the anaconda sometimes reaches an incredible size dwarfing that shot by me. The Brazilian Boundary Commission told me of one exceeding eighty feet in length!" A Python (Copyright Lee Krystek, 1998) The anaconda can live in fresh water and could be a candidate for some smaller sea serpent, or lake monster reports. Like all snakes, the anaconda is carnivorous. While some snakes use venom (poison) to kill or paralyze their victims, the anaconda, like its Eastern Hemisphere cousins, pythons (left), kill by constriction. A python, by looping its body around an animal, can use its powerful muscles to squeeze until the animal can no longer breath. The anaconda lives in Central and tropical South America. It is a member of the Boa family of snakes and is dark green in color with round markings. It is sometimes referred to as the "water boa." Because the anaconda's weight is usually supported by liquid, it can grow larger than snakes that make their homes in trees. The water-based anaconda often winds up drowning its victims as they are pulled into the water rather than suffocating them by constriction. Snakes swallow their victims whole. Although it is often said a snake's jaw can be unhinged from the skull to allow something much larger than the snake's girth to be swallowed, the jaws are actually connected by a ligament that stretches. Once the carcass is inside the snake it must be digested quickly before it rots in the serpent's gut. If a snake cannot digest his prey before bacteria does, the snake will be forced to regurgitate it. If he cannot spit it out, the snake may die of food poisoning. The large anacondas feed on deer, pigs, caiman (a creature that looks like a small crocodile), and fish. The snake usually wraps his extended jaws around the head of the victim and swallows working its way down to the victim's feet. This allows the unfortunate animal's limbs to neatly fold inward rather than present an obstacle to ingestion. North American rattlesnakes have been known to grow to over ten feet in length. (Copyright Lee Krystek, 2000) Although the anaconda is generally considered the largest snake, some people list a reticulated python (Python reticulated) killed in Celebes, Indonesia in 1912 as the largest single specimen. It was 32 feet 10 inches long. Some people do not accept the 37 1/2 ft. Colombian anaconda because after shooting the snake and measuring it, the expedition went off and ate lunch before attempting to photograph and skin it. While they were gone, the snake, (apparently still alive) crawled or swam away. Even if you disqualify the Colombian anaconda, another 34 ft. long specimen, shot in British Guiana by Vincent Roth, a reputable scientist, would still be longer than the Celebes python. The Anaconda is also foot per foot a much bigger snake than the Python, being both heavier and wider in girth. This is probably because the anaconda, a water snake, does not have to be concerned about getting its body up a tree like the python does. For these reasons the museum reports the anaconda as the largest snake. Check Amazon.com for books on big snakes Do large snakes like the python and the anaconda eat people? Occasionally such attacks are recorded in the wild. In 1972 a python in Burma ate an eight-year-old boy. In 1927 there was the story about a jeweler called Maung Chit Chine. He hid under a tree during a rain storm and afterward his friends could only find his hat and shoes. When they killed a nearby gouged Python, they found the rest of Chines' body, swallowed feet first (though this seems opposite to normal snake behavior) and whole, inside the snake. Strangely enough, many big snakes attack humans not in the jungle, but in suburbia. Pythons are often kept as pets, but can turn deadly without warning. In 1993 in Colorado, a 15-year-old boy weighing 95 pounds was attacked by the family's python. The snake was only of medium size being 11 feet long and weighing 53 pounds, yet was able to kill the boy, though it made no attempt to eat him. Cartoonist Gary Larson, of The Far Side, also had a close call with a Burmese python he had raised from a baby. According to Larson he realized he was "living with a gigantic predator with a very small brain" one day when it tried to do him in. Large snakes, though beautiful and interesting, can be dangerous. And they don't have to live in the jungle to kill. The beautiful skin patterns of pythons. Left is normal, while the right is an albino from the National Zoo who would not have survived in the wild as its coloration would have given it no protection when it was young. (Copyright Lee Krystek, 1998) orClash of the TitansIf you look in the records there is a lot of controversy over which snake holds the world's record for massive size. The dimensions that have earned the anaconda the title of king is its total body mass or its weight (the sheer physical bulk of it). The other snake that competes with the anaconda is the Asiatic Reticulated Python (Python reticulatus). The python holds the world's record for length of a snake, with the longest ever measured at 33 feet. Even though the longest python is longer than the record-holding anaconda, the girth of the anaconda is far bigger. Anacondas in the jungles of South America can grow as big around as a grown man. Big enough to swallow a grown man whole! The Secret Life of an Anaconda Anacondas in the wild spend most of their time hanging out in rivers hunting for their food. They are solitary creatures that are somewhat shy and not many of them are easily seen. They are very well camouflaged in the swamps and bogs in which they thrive. There are some historical reports of early European explorers of the South American jungles seeing giant anacondas up to 100 feet long! Some of the native peoples of the South American jungle have reported seeing anacondas up to 80 feet long. No one has caught and measured an anaconda anywhere near that size, but it sure is amazing to ponder the possibility. Anacondas like to hang out in rivers so it would be difficult to estimate the length of one seen swimming, without seeing the entire snake. It's the anaconda's ability to remain partly hidden in the water that makes it difficult to accurately find (and document) a specimen that exceeds the current world's record. (Would you want to jump in the water after a giant anaconda to try and measure a snake big enough to swallow a man whole?)Killer Snake Anacondas are members of the boa constrictor family of snakes. That means that they kill their prey by coiling their large, powerful bodies around their victims and squeezing until their prey suffocates. Then the snake unhinges its jaw and swallows the victim whole. Although they are big and strong enough to eat people, they seldom do (but they have been known to). Anacondas are much more likely to eat aquatic creatures, such as fish. Occasionally they have been known to eat : caimans (a relative of the alligator), other snakes, deer, and even jaguars. Anacondas are rather slow-moving snakes, so they have to rely on stealth and the element of surprise to catch their unsuspecting prey. Read about the world's Deadliest Creature | Most Ferocious Creature | Strongest CreatureDo Anacondas Bite? Just about every species of snake on earth has teeth, but they are not used for chewing. Snakes' teeth are used for holding onto their prey, preventing them from escaping. Some snakes have venom in two specially designed, extra long teeth (called fangs) which they use to kill their prey. Anacondas have teeth, but they are not a venomous snake. They rely on their enormous size and power to subdue their victims. It is possible to be bitten by an anaconda, but the bite itself would not be fatal.Snakes as Pets For many people, snakes are a slithering, terrifying creature to be avoided at all costs, while others harbor a grim fascination or even fondness for them. Many people keep snakes as pets, including anacondas and reticulated pythons. Like any other pet, snakes can be a big responsibility that should be taken seriously. If you choose to keep a snake in captivity you must accept responsibility for its care and feeding, as well as preventing it from escaping into the wild. If you are one of those people who thinks it would be really cool to have a pet snake you can visit these websites for more information:[This message has been edited by Josey1 (edited 11-28-2001).]
  • Options
    Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    how about :0 Predatory attacks of green anacondas (Eunectes murinus) on adult human beings.Large constrictors snakes are potentially dangerous to people due to their size and strength (Branch and Haacke 1980). However, there are no documented attacks by green anacondas (Eunectes murinus) on humans. The lack of documentation may be due to low human population in areas where anacondas are common, and to the nature of their behavior and the habitat where they live. In this note I document predatory strikes by green anacondas on two of my field assistants while conducting field research on green anaconda in the Venezuelan llanos. The first attempt was by a large female (Lin; 54 kg, 5.04 m total length) that had had a serious mouth infection at the time I captured it and implanted a radio-transmitters in it. Two months after implantation, my assistant (female, 1.56 m and 55 kg) followed the transmitter signal with the intention of assessing the status of the snake's infection. The snake was in a shallow channel, approximately 80 cm deep, which was partly covered by emergent aquatic vegetation (Eleocharis sp, Cyperacea). Without being seen, the snake emerged from water striking and grabbing her by the knee. Fortunately, the pants tore, and the snake did not get a firm hold by which to drag my helper into the water. The snake immediately struck again with her mouth open to about 180 degrees, this time at a height level with my helper's waist. However, her prompt retreat resulted in an unsuccessful attack. The other event was on another of my helpers (male, 1.74m 57 kg) while we were looking for snakes in a river covered by aquatic hyacinth (Eichhornia ssp). After we walked by the snake without detecting it, the snake followed my helper, tongue flicking at him for approximately 2.5 m, raising itself up to 25 cm above the aquatic vegetation. The snake was seen and filmed by a photographer behind us who warned us about the snake. I managed to grab the snake by mid-body just as it struck to my helper who in turn jumped backwards. Both, me pulling the snake backwards and he moving out of reach made the snake fail and snap into the air (Figure 1a to 1f, extracted from the tape). Upon catching and subduing the animal (Pen), She measured 445 cm in total length and 39 kg in weight. The overall appearance of the snake was healthy but very thin. I believe that both attacks were predatory attempts of the snakes on my helpers. In the first instance the following evidence suggests that the snake must have been foraging when attacked the researcher: First, she had not eaten during the two months she had been radio-tracked, and probably longer, due to the oral infection. Second, eight daysbefore the incident the snake thoroughly tongue flicked at me (male, 1.77 cm, 83 kg) in a similar situation but lost interest after approximately 5 min (perhaps estimating that I was above her prey-size range). Finally, four days after the incident I saw the snake with a distended midsection that indicated a recent meal. Lin's attack is unlikely to have been defensive. In my experience catching anacondas of all sizes, I have found that large individuals are very unlikely to attack when disturbed. Indeed, to the present I have caught and processed more than 120 animals larger than 4 meters and none tried to bite until I (or one of my helpers) had either, dragged the animal out of the water by its tail, or secured a firm grip on the animal's neck (Rivas 1999). Large individuals tended to swim away when disturbed. Recaptured animals are, if anything, even more skittish than naive ones and try to escape as soon as they detect the proximity of the researchers. Thus, the proximity of the researcher is unlikely to have induced a defensive strike. Anacondas can capture prey as large as adult capybaras, adult white tailed deer and full grown spectacled caiman (Rivas 1999); consequently, a prey as heavy as 55 kilos (the weight of the first target) is within the range of prey sizes that a snake as large as Lin could take. Given the snake's later behavior (which was most likely foraging), the size of both snake and potential prey, along with the fact that the researcher had not disturbed the snake, (the snake struck while submerged under enough water for a safe escape), I consider that it was a predatory the strike. Lin was being followed by telemetry, thus enhancing the number of times she encountered a human being. This artificially high encounter rate with people might have exceeded the threshold of abundance that makes a potential prey item profitable despite the high risk of attacking a large potentially dangerous prey (Stephen and Krebs 1986). The second event was performed by large animal that was fairly thin for her size (Rivas 1999). Pen was performing predatory tongue-flicking directed towards the person following him for a relatively long distance. Given the date of this event (March) it is likely the snake had given birth the year before (November to December) and was hence in need of a large meal to recover from her reproductive investment. She was probably in a large energetic deficit and taking the risk of attacking a large prey was a good way to overcome it. The prey/predator mass ratio of this event (1.46), while impressive, falls within the reported prey/predator ratios reported for other snakes (Greene 1992). Both attacks were on people that were looking for anacondas in places that people often do not walk, We had been staying in these places for longer than people normally do, when they use these areas at all. Thus, both occurred after a particularly high exposure. Although anacondas are not "man-eaters" by nature, they are generalists and will take any prey that they can subdue and swallow. Thus, the potential exists for anacondas to prey on people. Acknowledgement: I thank M. Mu?oz and E. George for their crucial (although unwilling) contribution of being attacked by the snakes. S. Owens, from Tomwil Entertainment, Inc., filmed the attack of the snake, E. George extracted the picture from the film, and Discovery Channel provided permission to use them. I am in debt with G. Burghardt, R. Owens, and two anonymous reviewers for editorial comments in the manuscript. I also thank M. Quero, P Azuaje, M. Urcera, J. Thorbjarnason, and the Estaci?n Biol?gica Hato El Fr?o for their contribution with my research. This research was sponsored by join grants from CITES, Profauna (the Venezuelan Fish and Wildlife Service), The Wildlife Conservation Society (formerly New York Zoological Society), and The National Geographic Society. Literature cited Branch, W. R. and W. D. Haacke. 1980. A fatal attack on a young boy by an African rock python (Python sebae). J. Herpetol. 14, 305-307. Greene, H. W. 1992. The ecological and behavioral context for pitviper evolution. In: J. A. Campbell and E. D. Brodie (eds) Biology of Pitvipers pp. 107-118. Selva. Tyler Texas. Rivas, J. A. 1999. Life history of the green anaconda (Eunectes murinus) with emphasis on its reproductive biology. Unpublished Ph.D. dissertation at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville. 235 pages. Stephen D. W. and J. R. Krebs. 1986. Foraging Theory. Princeton University Press. Princeton, New Jersey. Figure 1 Sequence of the anaconda following and tongue flicking to my helper for about 2.5 meters. Notice in 1f, right before the strike, the curvature of the neck adopting the S-shaped position typical of the readiness to strike.
  • Options
    gunnutgunnut Member Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I need some tp, as I nearly craped myself reading about 96ft family eating snakes. Im still hurting from laughing so hard. Hey Judge did the snake resist arrest? please I mean please post some of those pictures. Only the ones with all coloring inside the lines though!ROFL
    ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I guess that if a guy tells a story out of childhood memory that has remained vivid after thirty years, with no reason to stretch it, than a guy with a picture of the biggest @#@$%$ &&^^%$$ cat I've ever seen must be lying too. How can any one question how big the biggest snake is, if it has never been caught?
    keep lots of extra uppers for your ar..you can change often enough to keep the thing from over heating...what ever caliber fits the moment..~Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've seen the cat picture before....looks like they have a real mouse problem in his neighborhood...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Travelor the cat picture is in fact a hoax. I was never suggesting your were untruthful just that memories are not reliable. I am truly sorry if I offended you, that certainly was not my intent. That said, the possibility of a 15 foot snake or even a 10 foot snake living in the northern tier of states is very near zero.
  • Options
    njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    He Dog, you're right, the cat in the photo is a hoax. Actually that is a picture of her 6 week old kitten. The mother cat is outside rolling my neighbor's 1987 Ford station wagon up and down the driveway with her nose, lol. -Charlie
    It's the stuff dreams are made of AngelMember: NRA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2AMPD and the AARP. njretcop@copmail.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Don't get me wrong cop, I like cats a lot and it is a wonderful picture. It is just that it has been floating around the net for a couple of years now. As it happens I know the guy that posed with his cat. Trick is, he is only 32 inches tall, and all the furniture is scaled for him.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Will try to get the pics ...and scan them ok! (have to convince my father first) Be carefull out there .... a snake may eat your snake .... I bet the manual does not cover that!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So that`s what njretcop looks like!!!!!.218
  • Options
    rodgergliderodgerglide Member Posts: 184 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is some cat Charlie!! But down here we have Fire Ants and we are training them to move north,and weapons are useless against them!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    218Beekeep ? Like "Dick" Tracy or a snake?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The guy holdin` the cat must be njretcop.
  • Options
    Patrick OdlePatrick Odle Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Big snakes don't dare come out in thedaylight here. Gnats with undamaged eyelidsatack and eat them by the dozens.