In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

John McCain story?

dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
edited December 2001 in General Discussion
At the risk of being accused of having my head in the sand, what is the John McCain story. Why is he a hero? I am aware that he was captured and spent many years as a POW. Does this qualify him as a hero or am I missing a piece of the puzzle? I mean no disrespect to any of the vets or POWs on this site. In my eyes you are all heros but what makes McCain special?

Comments

• Options
    beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    He's no more of a hero than any other POW who spent 6 years in North Vietnamese confinement....except of course that his daddy was the 4 star Admiral who was CINCPAC during the War. Because of his daddy the North Vietnamese offered the young McCain a "get out of jail free" card and he told them to go to hell. The North Vietnamese were afraid that if anything happened to the younger McCain his Daddy would hunt them down and kill them. After the younger John McCain refused early repatriation the North Vietnamese tried giving him special favorsand special treatment(again fearing that if he died in confinement that his daddy would bomb them back to the stone age); he refused those favors and told them he would take his turn being tortured along with the rest of the pilots. While I'm not sure that makes him a hero it sure makes him a pretty fair American fighting man. There are a lot of internet legends regarding McCain; usually dreamt up by political foes that blatantly misrepresent McCain. I received my information from Capt Richard Stratton, a 7 year North Vietnamese POW himself, who made it a point, after returning to the States, of pointing out those American POW's who behaved badly while in confinement. Stratton has the utmost respect for the younger McCain and how he bore up during confinement. Beach
  • Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK...I'm convinced. That makes him a hero in my estimation.BUT....What kind of torture is he going through now? What is it that has made him such a screaming liberal all of a sudden? His HERO status is wearing a bit thin as far as I'm concerned.Mudge the pondering(That's "pondering" not "ponderous".)
    I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    OK he deserves a LOT of credit for not selling out (I thought this was a soldiers duty) but my idea of a hero has always been someone who has made sacrifice or taken significant risk for the benifit of the "cause" or other human life. I'm not sure this qualifies, other than maybe the inspiration he may have provided to other POWs. It appears his admiral traits were abandoned when he entered politics.
  • Options
    rodgergliderodgerglide Member Posts: 184 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are three times people can be expected to lie...when they are in love,when they are drunk,and when they are in politics. And John McCain is definately in politics. I admire what he did in Viet Nam,but what he is doing now is a crying shame. I would not be surprised to see him switch to the Democratic party.His turn-around on gun-rights is right in line with the rest of those tree-huggers.
  • Options
    Walt NunleyWalt Nunley Member Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AS FAR AS IM CONCERNED HIS RECENT TREASONOUS BEHAVIOR.SELLING OUT AMERICAN GUN OWNERS,AND GETTING INTO BED WITH THE LIBERALS STRIPS HIM OF ANY HONOR THAT MAY HAVE BEEN HIS.I FIND HIS BEHAVIOR WORSE THAN THAT OF A TRUE LIBERAL,HES A TRAITOR,AND WELL NEVER MIND I GET MAD EVEN THINKIN ABOUT HIM
    Submarine Sailor,Truck Driver,and very bad typist.GO RUSTY #2
  • Options
    Judge DreadJudge Dread Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the evident trend history is taking manyhere will be POW in their own country.... Will know torture , and will know the priceof "aquiecence" and "lameness" too late to do something about it ...... To NORTH VIETNAM "our" heros were Terroristwho bombed their farmers ,family and children. To us a "patriot" today is a "hero' one of this same men That did time in Hanoi Hiltonmay do time tomorrow in a FEMA gulag in america .... He will no longer be called a "hero", he will be labeled as a TERRORIST. Its the law of the "pendulum".
  • Options
    Patrick OdlePatrick Odle Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My question , How can anyone seek to undermine any part of the American Constitution an be labled anything buta communist.
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    PatrickODLE- NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOH!! You can not label someone who is doing communist activity a communist. That is a sure fire way of dismissing the idea that the activity is communist. The american people have been conditioned by the left, to believe that they are not communists. And all the left needs to further their agenda is some right thinking person to label their marxist agenda as communist.I was watching some woman on CSpan, and she was waaay left. I am thinking to myself, "what a communist this chick is." A caller called up and called her a communist, and she laughed it off, said that it is absurd to think she is a commie, and turned it around and portrayed the caller as a "McCarthyite". And that is all it takes. Call someone a "McCarthyite" and you have diffused the threat of being labeled a communist. The left use this McCarthyite tactic all of the time. That lefty lawyer Dershowitz, is a master at deflecting communist accusations. He even wrote a book about the Clinton impeachment called "Sexual McCarthyism". BRilliant!!! The Clinton impeachment was just right wing MCCartyite tactics.Clinton didnt do anything wrong, it was just those wascally McCarthyites up to their old tricks.The truth be told 90 percent of the activity of the modern american body politic is Marxist. Any time the american body politic does something ask yourself "Is this closer to Manifesto or Constitution". Chances are, it more resembles Manifesto.