In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

18 and buying a pistol

SilentKnightSilentKnight Member Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Im turning 18 in a few months and im wanting to buy a pistol(Glock 22) to celebrate. But before I do, a person to person transfer for a pistol is legal here in TEXAS....right?

I remember NUNN saying they were legal and hes a police officer here in Texas, but I want to make 100% percent sure before I do.

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Does the state law give a person 18 the ability to buy a handgun,, most states dont, only long guns.

Even if private transactions are legal in that state.

eagle.gif
    "It is hard to soar with Eagles when your surrounded by Turkeys"

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Make sure it is legal in TX for you to have a handgun at 18. Here in VA you can't buy or be in posession of one without supervision until you turn 21.
  • benzappedbenzapped Member Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You must be 21 in Texas to legally purchase a handgun.
  • 22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    Texas is a "shall issue" state. Practically all non-felons have a right to carry concealed weapons with a license without showing need. Applicant must complete 10 hours of safety training.
    Brady Law
    Purchase Limitations Texas has no purchase limitations.
    Licensing
    Minors There is no state regulation for the minimum age to possess either handguns or long guns.
    Preemption
    Gun Storage (Enacted 1995) The Texas law creates a misdemeanor offense when a child gains access to a firearm because an adult fails to secure a readily dischargeable firearm or left the firearm in a place to which the person knew or should have known that a child would gain access. It also requires firearms dealers to post a sign with this warning: IT IS UNLAWFUL TO STORE, TRANSPORT, OR ABANDON AN UNSECURED FIREARM IN A PLACE WHERE CHILDREN ARE LIKELY TO BE AND CAN OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE FIREARM. The penalty is a misdemeanor. Child is defined as anyone under the age of 18.
    Waiting Period There is a Brady 5 day waiting period. 5 day wait does not apply to transfer of handguns to valid CCW licensees issued within last 5 years.
    Dealers
    Other None

http://www.gunownersca.com/Texas.htm

Steel is for guns Tupperware is for leftovers

happy_fc.gif
    edited November -1
    Does the state law give a person 18 the ability to buy a handgun,, most states dont, only long guns.

Even if private transactions are legal in that state.

eagle.gif

Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • SilentKnightSilentKnight Member Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Minors There is no state regulation for the minimum age to possess either handguns or long guns.

So this means that I can own a pistol at 18 but not buy one through an FFL? So does that mean I can buy a pistol through a person to person transfer?
    edited November -1
    You can purchase as pistol in texas at any age, according to the Texas law site, however ya cant get a concealed permit till your 21

http://www.firearmslawcenter.org/content/texas.asp

Its on this page, MINIMUM AGE TO PURCHASE/POSESS

Hope this clears up the issue for ya

eagle.gif

Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    He never once stated he wanted a CCW.
    edited November -1
    Wait. So I can go into a gunshop or pawnshop with an FFL at 18, they call up the ATF, do a background check and I have my pistol?

Right, I dont want an CCW yet. I know you have to be 21 for that.

Okay im sorry, scratch that. 21 if you go through an FFL, 18 person to person. Thanks for the website CLASSIC095, it was very helpful.
  • benzappedbenzapped Member Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You must be 21 in Texas to legally purchase a handgun.
    edited November -1
    quote:You must be 21 in Texas to legally purchase a handgun.

"Federal law provides less stringent age restrictions with respect to sales by unlicensed persons. Unlicensed persons generally may not sell, deliver or otherwise transfer a handgun or handgun ammunition to any person the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe is under the age of 18. 18 U.S.C. ? 922(x)(1), (3) and (5). Federal law provides no age limitations with respect to the sale of a long gun by an unlicensed person"

http://www.firearmslawcenter.org/content/texas.asp#Licensingofgunpurchasers

• phxtravisphxtravis Member Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe this is a dumb idea but...just go to a dealer and ask them, I'd imagine they'd know[;)].

Desert Eagle .50AE
    Spring 1911-A1 Mil-Spec
    Marlin/Glenfield Mod 60
    Ruger MK1
    Mosin-Nagant M38
    banner-big.jpg
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Silent, to be sure you don't violate the law (and all "black letter" law has numerous interpreting court cases which don't appear in the statutes . . . which is a big part of the practice of law), your best bet is to get a clear answer from the office of the TX Atty. General. Specify private sale or inheritance, whichever the case might be.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain) ". . . And DemoCraps" (me)
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    It appears that Texas is about the same as here in NC. Under 18 cannot purchase or possess a handgun without direct adult supervision, however an 18-21 year old can do a personal transaction with a friend or at a gunshow[any legal sale not requiring a yellow sheet], but can not carry concealed until the age of 21 and then only after recieving the permit.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    I would check on your state definition of possession. If I understand my state law someone 18-21 can carry(open) and use a handgun (without supervision) but not own one.
  • Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I am not mistaken, there is a law dealing with "making a firearm available to a minor" that may come in to play here. Anyone know how it applies? And is not a male 18 years of age considered a minor in Texas?

I dintinctly recall at gunshows, the promoters telling all exhibitors, licensed and unlicensed, to sell hendguns to buyers 21 and older, and make sure they were residents of the state.

Rafter-S
  • 1armbandit1armbandit Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That dont make sense. A minor can possess aa pistol but a dealer cant sell them one.Whats the deal? Thay cant drink beer they cant vote they cant buy a pistol at a gunstore but its legal for the barber to sell a kid his? If the gun store is breaking the law why isnt the barbershop? Texas law is screwed up.
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,058 ******
    edited November -1
    Texas law is not particularly screwed up.

State law deals with possession of firearms.

Federal law deals with commerce in firearms.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Iconoclast
    your best bet is to get a clear answer from the office of the TX Atty. General. Specify private sale or inheritance, whichever the case might be.

I would not count on them giving you a clear or accurate answer. I called the PA state police and attorney general to find out if I needed to do a check on a long gun(private sale). They both said I did. The laws says I do not.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man