In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Brady Campaign: Contact Senators and Urge Action on the Reed Bill

Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
edited March 2002 in General Discussion
Brady Campaign: Contact Senators and Urge Action on the Reed Bill3/27/2002 Action AlertContact:Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violenceunited with the Million Mom March1225 Eye Street, NWWashington, DC 20005Phone: (202) 898-0792 The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence united with the Million Mom March encourages building on the success of the campaign finance reform legislation by urging Congress to close the gun show loophole. The best opportunity for action is in the Senate, where Majority Leader Daschle has committed to bringing Senator Reed's bipartisan bill, the "Gun Show Background Check Act" (S. 767), to a vote. With less than 100 legislative days left in this session of Congress, and much work to be done on appropriations issues, we need to spur Senators to act on the Reed bill. If we can get the Senate to pass Senator Reed's bill, we can use that momentum to help with the more difficult task of getting gun show legislation through the House.As you know, the Reed bill is identical to the Lautenberg/Kerrey amendment which passed the Senate in 1999. The Lautenberg/Kerrey measure never became law because the gun lobby killed Representative McCarthy's companion legislation on the House side and prevented additional efforts to pass the legislation. In the meantime, there is mounting evidence that not only criminals, but also terrorists, continue to exploit the gun show loophole. Action on this issue is long overdue. Please contact your Senator http://capwiz.com/brady/dbq/officials and urge them to act on the Reed bill without further delay. The vote was close in 1999 -- Vice President Gore broke a 50-50 tie -- and any votes in this Senate are also likely to be close. We cannot take any votes for granted, and it is important to contact every Senator. Although it is not as critical to contact Senators who have already cosponsored the Reed bill, we should also contact them, thank them for their support, and urge them to ask Majority Leader Daschle to take action on the bill. There are currently 22 cosponsors of the Reed bill: Akaka (D-HI)Biden (D-DE)Boxer (D-CA)Carper (D-DE)Chafee (R-RI)Clinton (D-NY)Corzine (D-NJ) Dodd (D-CT)Durbin (D-IL)Feinstein (D-CA)Graham (D-FL)Hollings (D-SC)Inouye (D-HI)Kennedy (D-MA)Wyden (D-OR)Kerry (D-MA)Levin (D-MI)Mikulski (D-MD) Sarbanes (D-MD)Schumer (D-NY)Torricelli (D-NJ)Wellstone (D-MN) http://www.jointogether.org/gv/news/alerts/reader/0,2061,549464,00.html Contact your senators http://capwiz.com/liberty [This message has been edited by Josey1 (edited 03-31-2002).]

Comments

• LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Straight Democrat sponsorship of the bill with the exception of that P.O.S. Chafee of R.I.I was at a show just last week and don't recall seeing any turban-headed terrorists there. O'course, they could've been wearing disguises.
    Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • cpilericpileri Member Posts: 447 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sent my senators the opposite of what the Brady Center would like.Hope others do as well.Carl
  • badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lowrider our terrorists don't wear towels on their heads. They are already in the Senate. Their names are kennedy turd, schumer turd, klinton turd. fineschwein turd - you get the idea. The enemy of freedom in the USA reside in Washington DC.
    PC=BS
  • BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    Yeah - sent a nasty gram to all 3 WA reps. All Dem's. They will probably just disregard the real info...
    IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)
  • scott5792scott5792 Member Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't they always?
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let us not forget that when this bill originally passed 51-50, the Senate was controlled by the Republicans. I beleive the Republicans had a five seat majority. If this bill does get voted on in the Senate it will pass.And if the Senate passes it, you can bet your bottom dollare George will sign the bill. He has a tendency of going back on campaign promises, and signing bills that he said he would not sign.
    Happiness is a warm gun