In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Tax Question

snake-eyessnake-eyes Member Posts: 869
edited December 2002 in General Discussion
I got a question for yall, maybe somebody can help me. The question is, do I need to file a tax report, and where do I get the papers to do so? I have a job, but I don't make enough to be required to report it to the gubment. I'm going to a community college on a scholarship (NC education lottery). Should I file taxes? Where do I get the forms and stuff? I thought I could ask the tax folks, but I don't want to go and spend my money and time for them to tell me I ain't gotta do nothin. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    hey guys. i have a quick tax question:

if you worked in more than one state in the same year, do you have to file multiple state returns? if yes, are there any exceptions(such as "no, if you total taxes withheld is <500 etc...)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    We have a piece of property with an old house we bought about 4 years ago. We mainly wanted it because it joins National Forest, has a spring and a branch.
    Anyway the house needed and still needs a lot to be liveable. We put a metal roof and vinyl siding just to keep it from going down hill. The county has doubled the assessed value of the property, so we're thinking about unloading it.

Question: If we sell, say for twice what we paid for it, do we pay capital gains tax on the profits or what? My wife and I plan on working 4-5 more years then retire, should we keep it until our income is lower? Are there any ways to avoid paying so much tax?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have made alot of purchases online and avoided paying state tax, but recently a purchase at Autozone.com I was charged $5 tax. The shipment came from South Carolina and I am in Californy. Anyone know if this is ok? I know I'm a cheapskate but on a military supplied budget I scrutinize every penny I give away. Autozone.com claims since they have stores in California they must charge the tax. Any input?

Let's change the laws and quit bickering about them. One man CAN change the status quo.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My ol lady has a little girl from her previous marriage, she has full custody he gets visitation every other weekend. The guy hasnt paid ANY child support whatsoever. Well he has turned his tax papers in claiming the kid! I have spent thousands on diapers and food alone, my question is how is he allowed to claim her when he doesnt have custody not to mention he DOES NOT support his own kid. Do I have any legal recourse? Do any of you know what I should do, besides hang him from an old oak by his nuts?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What are some things you guys write off. Im just trying to get prepared this year. I just bought a new home etc so I should fair well. I have daycare, insurance, vehicle repairs etc.....

Thanks,
  • Options
    edited November -1
    For the last 7 years we've been married, we've both held our jobs and filed married (joint). We've also claimed that we were married, but to hold the taxes at the higher (single) rate.

This gets us a large return every year, one we use for home improvements, etc.

I know, I know...an interest free loan to the government.

Well, I'm looking to not do the same next year. We just had our kid and Tori is no longer working and I think we now have the discipline to put that money away each check.

My question, and I know there are a lot of variables here...

What do you think I can claim on my with-holdings to come close to even at the time of filing?

Married, 1 dependent?
    Married, 2 dependents? (probably owe in the long run)
    Married (hold at the single rate, 1 dep?
    Married (hold at the single rate, 2 dep?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A friend of mine just called me and asked a question I have no idea about nor can I find anything on the internet. He took out his 401K as a lump sum distribution in 2009 after he was laid off. He asked how he supposed to file that on his taxes, he is filing them now and said it doesn't ask him anywhere about 401K distributions. I googled and didn't come up with anything quick.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My tax preparer says that even tho I opted to have my taxes taken out in "Married with-holding at higher single rate" category, that the Govt. disallowed this option w/o notice last year. Therefore my employer apparently and w/o my knowledge change my with-holding rate to something else. I haven't spoken to my employer yet about this. Just checking to see if the story sounds plausable. Instead of a usual small refund, I have to pay this year. A LOT!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My stepson who lives with us and is still in high school, worked a part time job last year and made about 1900 dollars. We claim him as a dependent, but how do we add his income or account for his income when filing? Should he do his own short form even though we claim him as a dependent??
    Thanks for any help!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If the FDA requires it before a procedure can be done, can it be written off as a medical expense? For example, before receiving a kidney from another live donor, a contract is needed, does the lawyer fees count as a medical expense. Or, speaking hypothetically, if the FDA requires consulting from a therapist before having a sex change operation, is the bill a medical expense?

For that matter, are marijuana purchases in California for "medical reasons" recognized by the IRS as a medical expense?

What about mileage to the doctor's office?
  • Options
    adminadmin Member, Administrator Posts: 1,079 admin
    edited November -1
    If they have a store in your state then they have to collect sales tax regardless of where the item was shipped from.
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gosh snake-eyes, it sounds as if you have not been paying your state use tax (use tax is the tax on items "used" in your state that were bought outside the state on which sales tax was not paid, or where the sales tax paid in another state was less than the sales/use tax in your state) on every item you buy on-line. I suggest you immediately call your state department of revenue and tell them you want to pay the use tax on all the items you have bought on-line! Be sure and tell them how much you owe so they can figure the interest and penalty before they send someone out to collect and charge you with tax evasion.
  • Options
    EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    I believe the way the law reads, since Auto Zone has a "business presence" in California, they must collect the appropriate sales tax on any items shipped to California.
  • Options
    PJPJ Member Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    EOD Guy has hit the nail squarely on the head.
    Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live"
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you have to check on state law for this. I was suprised to learn, that I am required to pay sales tax on ANY mail order item I buy out of state. If I buy something from a company in Delaware, I am supposed to send the state of Pennsylvania a 6% sales tax on the item I purchased.

"Sometimes the people have to give up some individual rights for the safety of society."
    -Bill Clinton(MTV interview)