In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

School (not) prayer

kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
This is a statement that was read over the PA system at the football game at Roane County High School, Kingston, Tennessee, by school Principal, Jody McLoud, on September 1, 2000. I thought it was worth sharing with the world and hope you will forward it to all your friends. It shows clearly just how far this country has gone in the wrong direction.

"It has always been the custom at Roane County High School football games, to say a prayer and play the National Anthem, to honor God and Country.

Due to a recent ruling by the Supreme Court, I am told that saying a Prayer is a violation of Federal Case Law. As I understand the law at this time, I can use this public facility to approve of sexual perversion and call it, "an alternate lifestyle," and if someone is offended, that's OK.

I can use it to condone sexual promiscuity, by dispensing condoms and calling it, "safe sex." If someone is offended, that's OK.

I can even use this public facility, to present the merits of killing an unborn baby, as a "viable means of birth control." If someone is offended, no problem.

I can designate a school day as, "Earth Day" and involve students in activities to worship religiously and praise the goddess, "Mother Earth," and call it "ecology."

I can use literature, videos and presentations in the classroom that depict people with strong, traditional Christian convictions as, "simple minded" and "ignorant" and call it, "enlightenment."

However, if anyone uses this facility to honor God, and to ask Him to bless this event with safety and good sportsmanship, then Federal Case Law is violated.

This appears to be inconsistent at best, and at worst, diabolical. Apparently, we are to be tolerant of everything and anyone, except God and His Commandments.

Nevertheless, as a school principal, I frequently ask staff and students to abide by rules with which they do not necessarily agree. For me to do otherwise would be inconsistent at best, and at worst, hypocritical. I suffer from that affliction enough unintentionally. I certainly do not need to add an intentional transgression.

For this reason, I shall "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's," and refrain from praying at this time.

However, if you feel inspired to honor, praise and thank God, and ask Him, in the name of Jesus, to bless this event, please feel free to do so. As far as I know, that's not against the law----yet."

One by one, the people in the stands bowed their heads, held hands with one another, and began to pray.

They prayed in the stands. They prayed in the team huddles. They prayed at the concession stand, and they prayed in the announcer's box.

The only place they didn't pray was in the Supreme Court of the United States of America - the seat of "justice" in the "one nation, under God."

Somehow, Kingston, Tennessee remembered what so many have forgotten..We are given the Freedom OF Religion, not the Freedom FROM Religion. Praise God that His remnant remains!

Celebrate Jesus in 2002!

Jesus said, "If you are ashamed of Me, I will be ashamed of you before my Father."

If you are not ashamed, pass this on, but only if you mean it.

Yes, I do Love God. He is my source of existence and Savior.

He keeps me functioning each and every day. Without Him, I will be nothing, but with Him, I can do all things through Christ that strengthens me.

Phillipians 4:13

This is the simplest test . . . if you Love God, and are not ashamed of all the marvelous things He has done for you, send this to ten people.

=================================
Sometimes the most obvious, is the most elusive!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.

Comments

• MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What part of "separation of church and state" do they NOT understand?

It isn't a hard concept. You want to pray, do it silently.

My god probably isn't YOUR god......

Merc

NO! You may not have my guns! Now go crawl back into your hole!

"Tolerating things you may not necessarily like is part of being free" - Larry Flynt
  • thesupermonkeythesupermonkey Member Posts: 3,905 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get down! Get down! Incoming hostile fire eminent!

Fire in the hole!!!

Don't worry about the bullet with your name on it, worry about the fragmentation grenade addressed 'To Occupant'.
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mercury,
    So your saying that a school that promotes "alternate lifestyle,(Homosexual)", promiscuity as long as its "safe sex", Abortion as a "viable means of birth control", Involving students in activities to WORSHIP RELIGIOUSLY AND PRAISE THE GODDESS, MOTHER EARTH," and that using literature, videos and presentations in a classroom that depict people with strong, traditional Christian convictions as, "simple minded" and "ignorant" and call it, "Enlightenment." . this is your idea of acceptable and a good school?

But to honor God in any way, teach strong morals, goodness and honesty, then they are BAD?

I'll repeat; "Apparently, we are to be tolerant of everything and anyone, except God and His Commandments."

I wonder how many people broke this law at Columbine and the numerous other schools that have been attacked in the last 10 or so years . don't they realize GOD IS NOT ALLOWED IN SCHOOLS?

• njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    Church is for praying......school is for learning.

Simple concept, but it works.

The "Pledge of Alliance" including it's reference to God, should be the first thing on the morning agenda for all schools. JMHO

-Charlie

"It's the stuff dreams are made of Angel"NRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com
  • MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kimber,
    DID I SAY THAT? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I said "You want to pray, do it silently."

I don't think schools should have ANY religious teachings! Christian, or not!

You want to teach religion, DO IT AT HOME!

I'm not against religion, by the way.......only when it is in school.

And no, schools shouldn't be forced to teach all that other crap, either.

Merc (who hates when people put words in his mouth!)

NO! You may not have my guns! Now go crawl back into your hole!

"Tolerating things you may not necessarily like is part of being free" - Larry Flynt
  • SixStringerSixStringer Member Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The statement "condoms" encourage promescuity is crazy. Teenagers have sex. If you didnt, its because you probably couldn't get laid. Condoms make it so teenagers are going to have sex anyways (whihc they are) they can atleast do it safely. If you want to teach abstinance go ahead. It wont work. Its called hormones, they are much more powerful then reason.
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some like to focus on "the seperation of church and state" dogma to condone the federal government not allowing local and state communities to decide whether or not prayer should be allowed in schools. I prefer to rely on the constitution which says that the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT will not interfere in those matters(See the 1st amendment of the constitution). Not allowing a school to have prayer, is a violation of the constitution(1st amendment, and other areas). Your opinions that you do not think prayer should be allowed in school, is really a non issue.If a community believes that prayer is a good thing to have in school, then constitutionally they are allowed to do so. The constitution says that it is allowed, and is a decision left to local governments, and not the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT.
    "CONGRESS shall make no law...prohibiting the free exercise of religion".
    This is obviously "prohibiting the free exercise of religion", and it should be obvious that this is unconstitutional.
    Keep your SEPERATION OF CHURCH AND STATE-To me, the constitution is the legitimate doctrine.

Happiness is a warm gun
    edited November -1
    "You want to pray, do it silently"
    -Mercury

That quote reminds me of something I read in a book
    (paraphrased)"You are allowed to pray, so long as no one can hear."
    That was written by an author who lived in the USSR, and she was exiled to Siberia for her writings. You see that was the policy of the USSR. NO RELIGION, BUT IF YOU MUST PRAY, DO IT SILENTLY.
    I have a hard time believing that the founders intentions with respect to religion, was to prohibit any expression in public places, or to prohibit public local governments from deciding on these issues(of course if you read the constitution, that becomes readily apparent-guess work and speculation is not necessary-the words are there). The pray silently concept is more in line with the MANIFESTO, and certainly not in line with the constitution.
    It is nice to see how a MARXIST concept has been passing as a "constitutional" concept.And it should be obvious that the Manifesto is in direct contrast with the constitution. THe lefties sure got us fooled.

Happiness is a warm gun
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mercury ... did not intend to put words in your mouth, but I don't agree with BANNING God in schools ... What happened to tollerance here?

Salzo, thank you for your comments, those are points I was wanting to make but unable to express ...

• Gene B.Gene B. Member Posts: 892 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Praying just isnt for church, it should be included in your everyday life. The goverment cant tell you how, when, and where to pray. Our forefathers came to America to escape that. Who is making up all these laws? a bunch of peacewanting, antichrist, morons? In the Bible it says in the "end days" people will be beaten in the synagogues for worshipping him. I think these laws are getting pretty damn close that.
  • cowboy62cowboy62 Member Posts: 70 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I must beg to differ with the comments concerning the pointless attempts at abstinance.

I was raised in what one may call a "Disfunctional family situation". I did however learn the wisdom of keeping my pants on.

When I was 12 years old, my father had the talk with me. He stressed to me the value of waiting. He asked me to wait until I was 18. I said I would, and kept my promise. Was it easy, no. But I had values that underlined the situation, those values of trust between father and son.

I feel most of our social problems can be traced to the points in history that we started doing the easy things instead of the hard things, like abstaining from sex till married. You know the hard things like BEING PARENTS! Your children stand a chance of getting past some of the pitfalls of life, if and only if we as parents are willing to put in the time to make and maintain some kind of communication with our children.

We teach our children to do things the easy way, they won't be able to say no.

Sounds good in theory.....

Stay tuned for updates from the war

Cowboy

When first a job has begun, see it through till' it's done. Whether the labor is great or small, do it right, or not at all! gshutes@aol.com What I d
  • thunderboltthunderbolt Member Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The folks who want to ban prayer want to ban guns as well.
  • SixStringerSixStringer Member Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Salvo

You're a really smart guy who has obviously done his homework. However, you seem to often state opinion and interpitation as fact. I spent a semester truding through the constitution and reading case after case. If their is one thing certain its that their is no simple reading of any ammendment or article. Single words in the constituiton have decided decades of case law. I'm not judging weither your opinion is right or wrong, but its not an issue of "This is what it says and this is what it means idiots! Nothing in the constitution is like that. It was written that way for a reason.
    edited November -1
    Did not call anyone an idiot.
    The constitution does say what it says.
    And if you think that words do not mean what they really mean, you will be a good liberal activist judge or lawyer.

Happiness is a warm gun
    edited November -1
    IT WAS WRITTEN THAT WAY FOR A REASON- what the hell does that mean?

Happiness is a warm gun
  • jeenyesjeenyes Member Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SALZO.... You turd, I wanted to say all that but you took the words out of my mouth. I will say, the constitution was written in simple terms, black and white, but to many liberals try to make it say things it does not say or mean. Seems like we have some here.

I love freedom, cause a chained dog ain't happy. A southern born child living behind enemy lines in occupied territory
  • bwabwa Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Normally I just read and enjoy the discussions here, but I may have a little something to contribute here, being a Christian like kimberkid but also a bit of a history nut.

I believe the constitution, and especially the Bill of Rights, becomes clearer when read in light of the circumstances in which the framers found themselves. These colonial leaders had actually lived a good part of their lives under the heel of an oppressive government. They had experienced personally a number of specific abuses of power practiced by the British crown and Parliament. They had observed the consequences of these abuses in the colonies and in England itself. Their revulsion was such that after casting off the oppressor's chains , they set about to create a system which would be free of these specific abuses. The Bill of Rights is largely a statement of rejection of oppressive English practices.

An example: the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment("Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion"). These words are indeed somewhat obscure to someone unfamiliar with the centuries-old approach of the British crown to religion. Following the Protestant Reformation, Christianity became a divided faith(outwardly, anyway), with an ever-increasing number of movements, denominations, sects, etc. Over time England became home to Catholics, Baptists, Puritans, Presbyterians, and so on, as well as what came to be the dominant group, known as Anglicans. For centuries church and civil authority had been intertwined; the monarch was the head of both ecclesiastical and governmental affairs. Things went relatively smoothly when there was only one church, but the newer Protestant groups not only did not accept the rule of the Pope, but also the King; and that kind of thing doesn't usually sit well with kings. Consequently the monarch declared an "established" church, over which he/she was head, and the rest he/she tried to stamp out. Who knows how many thousands over time were imprisoned, tortured, and even killed, simply because they refused to 'conform'(hence the official designation 'nonconformists') to the rules, regulations, etc. of the "established" church? To make the situation even more absurd, a change of monarchs often brought about a change in the established church -so that a Catholic, for example, literally could be safe one day and then a marked man the next. This whole state of affairs was behind much of the settlement of this country. The Puritans, Baptists, etc. got tired of being persecuted and left the country.

The framers of the Constitution wanted no part of such a system, and thus the "establishment" clause was written in. The object wasn't to eliminate religious influences from public institutions, but to keep those responsible for making the law from officially "establishing" one group as the state church, and trying to eliminate the others -as the British crown had done.

I take responsibility for any inaccuracies in the details, but I believe I've stated things more or less accurately. It seems rather clear to me that this is roughly what happened, and that the modern court system has therefore misapplied the clause in prohibiting prayers in local schools, creches in Post Offices, abstinence education, etc., etc. If that's the way the country wants to go, then it should amend the Constitution rather than mishandle it. The clause is merely a retriction placed on the activity of the Congress of the United States -nothing more and nothing less.

Hope I didn't bore you gentlemen to tears.
  • twinstwins Member Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Teenagers have sex. If you didnt, its because you probably couldn't get laid."

That is a load of *. Some people have values and morals that override hormones.
    edited November -1
    BWA- The amendment becomes even more clear(the intent) when one continues to read the rest of the amendment which say "or prohibiting the free exercise thereof".
    The entire clause CONGRESS SHALL MAKE NO LAW RESPECTING AN ESTABLISHMENT OF RELIGION, OR PROHIBITING THE FREE EXERCISE THEREOF. When reading the entire "religion" part of the amendment, it becomes very clear that it cannot be enforced against anyone BUT CONGRESS. In order to make the amendment binding against states and local governments, the "seperation of church and state" theory COMPLETELY IGNORES THE "OR PROHIBITION THEREOF" part of the amendment.
    To give the amendment an honest reading, one would have to realize, notwithstanding the 14th amendment, that the amendment can only be binding on congress.
    In a nutshell, congress cannot establish religion, and congress cannot prohibit religion. By telling states, local governments, and school districts they cannot have prayer, they are essentially disobeying the first amendments "or prohibit the free exercise therof" part of the amendment.
    Remember, that several states mantained a state supported church into the 19th century, and no one even raised a 1st amendment issue-because it was not a first amendment issue, because it had nothing to do with congress. If the Federal government told the states that they could not have a state sponsored religion, then CONGRESS would be violating the 1st amendment.

Happiness is a warm gun