In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Opinions on tall order deer gun

salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in General Discussion
What would be a good caliber choice for a deer gun that will be used in the following conditions:Shots out to 250 yardsClose shots in heavy brushOccasionally might be used for black bearRarely(and I mean rarely, so might not be necessary to figure into equation)for elk.And this is the part I am most concerned about-recoil. I know a 3006 makes a great all purpose gun. But I am sensitive to recoil, and it is killing me. Las time I took my 3006 to the range, I cried for a week after.I dont like crying, so if anyone has suggestions regarding appropriate caliber for above conditions, please post them.

Comments

• Options
    AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keep the .30-06. Install a good muzzle break and a recoil reducer in the buttstock. Can bring recoil impulse down to .243 or so, keeps the muzzle energy.
    We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Ask us about Shepherd Scopes!Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com
  • Options
    thesupermonkeythesupermonkey Member Posts: 3,905 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    30-06!? Naw you need a 5 Barreled 54 Caliber Duck Foot
  • Options
    mbrookmbrook Member Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why not keep the -06 and just invest in a good Past shoulder recoil shield for your range work. I use their MAG version when shooting large cal. and slug guns. May not be seen as "manly" by some, but it allows me to shoot in comfort for as long as I want with no increase in muzzle blast like you get with a brake.
  • Options
    varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The good doctor wrote the right perscription.
    A unarmed man is a subject.A armed man is a citizen.
  • Options
    hackerhacker Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    borrow a .458 magnum. after 20 rounds you will think your 06 feels like a dream to shoot. tolerating recoil is all mind over matter. if you dont mind, then it doesnt matter. also, wear GOOD ear protection. i think sometimes people are reacting to the noise when they think a gun recoils too much for comfort.
    hi karate and old spice
  • Options
    ghotie_thumperghotie_thumper Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 06 is the way to go if you throw elk into the equation. As for shooting through brush, it doesn't work. Any bullet will deflect, many tests have proven this. If you hand load try using 110 or 120 grain bullets for deer sized game. The lighter projectiles will make for reduced felt recoil. I have a PAST shoulder pad that I use while at the range, my 06 has no recoil pad. The PAST unit works but I'd like to add a pachmeyer decelerator in the 3/4" or 1" version to help even more.
  • Options
    DaRoostaDaRoosta Member Posts: 270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to concur with the majority that sticking with the 06 is the way to go if you can make it work. However, I do know plenty of people who hunt both deer and elk with a .270. My personal opinion is that the 30-06 caliber is probably the most versatile hunting rifle. You just have to make sure you're confident with it because the "flinch factor" can play a huge role in whether you're on target or not. I was told on an earlier thread to look into mercury-filled recoil reducers that fit in the stock of the rifle. You might want to check that out, too.
  • Options
    Andrew AdamsAndrew Adams Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While everyone who reads me regularly knows, I am a 30-06 lover, however if the recoil is too much for you, you aren't going to shoot it well.Why not go with either a .308 or 7mm-08. Both of them have the oomph for 250 yard shots on deer. For Bear the .308 is fine if you tighten up the range a little bit. Also, on Elk the .308 is somewhat marginal, but will do the job with premium bullets if you place your shots. People used to shoot elk all the time with the 30-40 Krag, which is a ballistic twin to the .308. I know from experience that when chambered in the same rifle, there is a marked reduction in the recoil from 30-06 to .308.If the .308 is still too much of a kicker, then keep the '06 for bear and elk and pick yourself up a 30-30. Probably more whitetails have been killed with it than with any other caliber. 250 yards is too far for the 30-30, but I've seen people take deer at 200 yards with one. The 30-30 is so mild that a little kid can shoot it all day, so it would definitely solve your recoil problem, although you would give up a little bit of your stated desired range. Also, you can forget about bear or elk with the 30-30. [This message has been edited by Andrew Adams (edited 09-05-2001).]
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Well I think you know the answer. Make the 30 06 work for you not aginst you.
  • Options
    smokinggunsmokinggun Member Posts: 590 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would get another 30-06, two is better than one. The one you already have may kick extra hard for a 30-06. One of the hardest kicking "dear caliber" bolt rifles I ever shot was a western field 308. It was lightweight, and had a really tight bore. When I bought the rifle I asked the why guy was selling it, he said it was for his teenage son but it kicked a little too hard. Ouch! Man did I find out about that! But the 308 and 30-06 that I have now seem to kick half as much as that one did. I personally would stay away from the muzzle brake just because of the increased noise factor.Good Luck, smokinggun
  • Options
    LightningLightning Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll have to second the motion on the 308 or 7mm-08. I think they will do the job without the recoil.
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Trying to find one universal gun for all senarios has always bothered me. Don't look at it as a problem....it's an opportunity to get more guns and calibers! 25-06 and .270 both come to mind, I've shot prairie dogs all day with both and they are not punishing guns. Besides you can tell the wife that due to medical complications with your shoulder, you'll need to get a different caliber....part of the progressive therapy will be to gradually work up to more powerful rifles....this means every 6 months or so you need a new gun.
  • Options
    shaneshane Member Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to second Rembrandts reply, any excuse to buy a new gun is a good one!
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah,in a perfect world, I would have to say Rembrandt has the best solution.