In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

John Edwards on Gun Control

22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Yesterday I e mailed the Edwards Campaign asking about his position on Gun Control

quote:Before I can consider voting for John Edwards I need to know his position on Gun Control.

He has stated that he s he sees nothing wrong with people owning and shooting guns for sport and hunting.

What about self-defense, collecting, and registration?

I can not support him unless he come forward with his position.

I know his positon now

Thank you for taking time to contact the Edwards for President Campaign! The number of letters and emails we have received over the past few weeks has been overwhelming. To see the amount of support and advice from people like you who have an interest in the real issues that face America is incredibly encouraging.

A copy of your letter has been sent to the appropriate department for their consideration. All of us here sincerely appreciate your interest and enthusiasm.

Please feel free to visit http://www.issues2000.org/Domestic/John_Edwards_Gun_Control.htm There you will find contact and volunteer information, policy papers, and a link for campaign merchandise. Real Solutions for America, the sixty-page booklet outlining the Senator's vision for the country, is also available via the website. We all are looking forward to sharing a great victory with you in 2004.

Regards, Edwards for President _____ Paid for by Edwards for President, Inc. Contributions to Edwards for President, Inc. are not tax- deductible for federal income tax purposes.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.
[Teddy Roosevelt]

Comments

• muggstermuggster Member Posts: 420 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    link doesn't work

Muggster
  • Gordian BladeGordian Blade Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.johnedwards2004.com/issues.asp

I couldn't find anything on there about gun control. I think the Democrats are keeping a low profile on that issue in 2004.
  • DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Gordian Blade

I think the Democrats are keeping a low profile on that issue in 2004.

I think everybody is keeping a low profile on that issue in 2004. GW? NRA? Bueller? Anyone?
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    There are two types of enemies of the Second Amendment...

One actively,loudly,continually works publically to destroy it.

The other quietly,steadily,patiently works behind the scenes to dismantle it..and when in positions of power,gives lip service to it,and, never,but never makes ANY move to relieve the pressure of gun regulations on the serfs...Indeed,just increases the judges and money to prosecute "gun criminals"...
  • familyguyfamilyguy Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Highball
    There are two types of enemies of the Second Amendment...

One actively,loudly,continually works publically to destroy it.

The other quietly,steadily,patiently works behind the scenes to dismantle it..and when in positions of power,gives lip service to it,and, never,but never makes ANY move to relieve the pressure of gun regulations on the serfs...Indeed,just increases the judges and money to prosecute "gun criminals"...

COUGH-bush-COUGH!

Got a new gun for my ex-wife.....pretty good trade, huh?
  • OleDukOleDuk Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let me tell you what I think-- He's a graduate of two NC universities, NC State and then UNC in Chapel Hill; land of the handwringers and a bunch of liberal gun-hater idiots!!! On top of that he's an ambulance chaser which is how he made his money. How would you expect a lawyer with that background to respond to gun control questions??
    You can bet your sowacki that you won't get the truth!!
    OleDuks opinion[:)][:)]

P.S. In case you think I'm prejudiced against North Carolina (being a native Virginian), I've got pre-Revolutionary family roots in both states!!
    [8D][8D][8D]
    edited November -1
    Let me tell you what I think-- He's a graduate of two NC universities, NC State and then UNC in Chapel Hill; land of the handwringers and a bunch of liberal gun-hater idiots!!! On top of that he's an ambulance chaser which is how he made his money. How would you expect a lawyer with that background to respond to gun control questions??
    You can bet your sowacki that you won't get the truth!!
    OleDuks opinion[:)][:)]

P.S. In case you think I'm prejudiced against North Carolina (being a native Virginian), I've got pre-Revolutionary family roots in both states!!

How about it Tarheels??[?][|)] (generic, not just UNC'ers)
    [8D][8D][8D]
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    UNC is a liberal school and Chapel Hill is an extremely liberal town, but the UNC Law School attracts a good number of conservatives just because of the quality of the education one recieves there. The firm that Edwards worked for was/is one of the most conservative law firms in the state. If there is anything more conservative than a midwest republican it is an old time southern democrat.
    I don't know what his true feelings are on gun control. He seems to be aping the new party line which is supporting the second amendment as long as it pertains to hunting firearms. I've emailed his campaign and informed them that this is not good enough to get the gun toting southerners to vote for him. I think he is trying his best along with the rest of them, Bush included, to make the gun issue a non-issue by not talking about it.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
    edited November -1
    I prefer and respect an enemy that meets me on the field ....either verbal or physical.

I have nothing but contempt for the snake in the grass..the type that pretends to be "on my side"..(which happens to be the constitution)..while greasing the slide towards totalitareism.

Fear the government that fears a free man with a gun...
  • PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    Hey OleDuk! As a graduate of N.C. State, I resent being compared to the left wing folks at UNC. We always had different views. I went to college with some very conservitive people. Fred Hunnicut lived across the hall from me. He co-wrote the definitive book on Japan's military rifles. When I was there, everybody was in the ROTC program the first two years. I think Edwards is running for president because he can't get re-elected in NC.
  • 22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    Hi Pearyw, nice to hear from you and bigdaddyjunior; I didn't mean to infer that the NC Staters were the in the liberal camp. I've always considered the NC Staters as "good ole boys". Sump'n like VT'ers[:D]. Looks like BDJ set me straight somewhat regarding where Edwards worked and he's right about the old Southern Democrats. My views about the Chapel Hill crowd were shaped by a couple of years working in NC, and continuing conversations with relatives in NC, and by those same conservative views BDJ is talking about which don't exist in the Democrat Party anymore and are a hell of a lot lacking in the GOP.
    Winston Churchill got it right btw, if a person wasn't a liberal when he was young, he didn't have a heart. If he remained a liberal when he got old, he didn't have a brain!!

Cheers,

OleDuk
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    During one of his debates(I think it was in NH) he was asked about gun control and his answer was he does not want to infringe on the rights of sportsman BUT he feels noone needs an AK47(assault weapons) and supports renewing the AWB, he sounds like everyone else running for elected positions, don't want to harm the sportsman but wants to ban so called assault weapons.

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • familyguyfamilyguy Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Highball
    I prefer and respect an enemy that meets me on the field ....either verbal or physical.

I have nothing but contempt for the snake in the grass..the type that pretends to be "on my side"..(which happens to be the constitution)..while greasing the slide towards totalitareism.

COUGH-bush-COUGH!

Got a new gun for my ex-wife.....pretty good trade, huh?
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So you want to trade one snake for another?

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seems like he is no worse than Bush.
    Doesnt believe we need assualt weapons-just like Bush.
    Believes we need to strengthen background checks at gun shows-so does Bush.
    Believes we should put trigger locks on our guns-so does Bush.
    Believes in Brady Bill-so does Bush.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • hondohondo Member Posts: 181 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A vote for a Democrat is a vote to give up your gun rights. How do I know this? I live in California the Democrats Promised Land.
  • houndog55houndog55 Member Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got a reply from his people and they said he supported the 2nd amendment.However he said no one needs an ak47 to deer hunt.So as usual the liberals say one thing and mean something else.So if elected he would determine what we needed to hunt with.Never mind what we want.

David Collins
  • BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    According to that website, there is not a single major party candidate in the race who really, truly supports the 2nd Amendment.

The only person on there who's stance I'm happy with is Pat Buchanan.

"If they aren't able to destroy the desire for freedom, they won't break you. They won't break me because the desire for freedom, and the freedom of the Irish people, is in my heart. The day will dawn when all the people of Ireland will have the desire for freedom to show. It is then we'll see the rising of the moon."
    -Bobby Sands
    edited November -1
    As usual we have no one to vote for worth a damn. It is becoming plain to me that neither party wants another T.R. that would speak plain and have so many of the people on his side that congress would become impotent. So they give us mediocrity time and again while adjusting the rules to make it necessary that one be very wealthy and an insider to gain public office, thus negating any chance of ever having a true citizen's government. At best we live in an aristocracy run country, at worst we are slaves to the state. If there was a better place I'd have long been gone.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigdaddyjunior

If there was a better place I'd have long been gone.

Smile in the face of your darkest fears
    Hear the world burn down around your ears
    (Hear the world burn down around your ears)
    And Kurt couldn't take it no more
    His escape from the horrors of war
    Bound for Trafalmador
    Bound for Trafalmador
    Trafalmador!
    edited November -1
    Trafalmador, Idaho?

edited November -1
    Head out someplace else..because MY country has been nearly destroyed by scum in high places.. supported by flat-lined robots ?

I don't think so.

Believe I will continue to advocate withdrawal from the corruption..cease voting..and await the elites making a move they will regret for the rest of their days.

Days they will spend in prison..for the crime of subverting the Constitution...

God,Guts,& GunsHave we lost all 3 ??
  • sharkman69sharkman69 Member Posts: 858
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by houndog55
    I got a reply from his people and they said he supported the 2nd amendment.However he said no one needs an ak47 to deer hunt.So as usual the liberals say one thing and mean something else.So if elected he would determine what we needed to hunt with.Never mind what we want.

David Collins

When politicians say they support the Second Amendment, do they mean they support it the same way that Attorney General John Ashcroft supports it? The Justice Dept., under Ashcroft, now feels that the Second Amendment applies to individuals, not states or government-run militias. Does Edwards, or Kerry, or Dean agree that the Second Amendment applies to individuals? Or does their support mean they support their own definition, which differs greatly with the vast majority of gun owners?

You need to ask more specific questions about gun control this year, because the politicians are going to try and dance around the issue as much as possible.
    edited November -1
    Please let us try to separate lip service from core beliefs..okay ?

If the present administration believed in the Second Amendment,they would not have their agents fanned out country wide prosocuting gunowners for "violating gun laws"..they would be activly working to roll back these unConstitutional laws.

The great object is to be objective about it.

Does one belive that we have about the right mix of gun laws ? If so..all who believe that have absolutely no comprehension of freedom.
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigdaddyjunior
    Trafalmador, Idaho?

Tralfamador is a planet.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man