In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Saddam & Bin Laden are World Leaders

gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in General Discussion
On Saturday I stopped by the local Staples store to copy some pistol targets before going to the club. I had two targets, one with the likeness of Saddam and the other with Bin Laden. I requested a dozen copies each with colored paper. The girl behind the counter hesitated then said I would have to see the manager before she could make the copies. The manager, a young man in his early twenties said that the targets were inappropriate and it was store policy not allow the copying or production of targets with the likeness of people and especially world leaders. He said they started the policy last year when someone wanted some Klinton targets copied. I asked the manager if Staples considered Saddam and Mr. Bin Laden to be world leaders. The manager replied "yes, they are the presidents of their countries arent they ?" Oh boy, and this person is in charge of a million dollar store. I left somewhat amused and had my targets copied at the grocery store next door where the manager, a middle-aged lady, requested one copy each to post in the office.

Comments

• Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What you said here was really put into perspective this evening when I caught the last 15 minutes of "60 Minutes". The television is on about 30 - 60 minutes a week at my place so it was by chance that I caught it. My brother is a West Point cadet and I have a grasp at what he is being exposed to on a daily basis due to the fact that I was there for a short 2 years. 60 Minutes did a 15-minute bit on how the recent events are impacting the training that our future Army officers are receiving. Then they made the point that the Seniors at West Point this year were only 9 years old when the Berlin wall came down. I think I was about 14 or 15 at the time but I remember it like it was yesterday. That manager at Staples may have been naive but today's generation represents a very large gap between those that have a very good grasp on what a real war is like and those that don't. I know I was still in diapers when Viet Nam ended but I was old enough to hear and understand in a time when we still had WWII vets that would tell us how it really was. On a side note, my parents took me on monthly visits to the Veterans Home to visit the old WWII and Korean War vets. That is where my "reality" education really got off the ground. If I ever have kids, I know where I'm taking them when the time is right.
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    World leaders? That's a knee slapper!
    If you run, you'll just die tired!