In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Congress Members Fret About Safety of Families, Get Guns (9/29/2001)

Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in General Discussion
Members Fret About Safety of Families After the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, some Members of Congress are considering moving their families out of the Washington area."I think there's a lot of families weighing that, including me," Rep. Todd Tiahrt (R-Kan.) said in an interview yesterday."I realized on Sept. 11 that there's no good system in place to notify me as a Member of Congress, as a Constitutional officer [of danger]," the 50-year-old father of three explained. "I have absolutely no protection in this area. My family is completely unaware of what's going on and completely unprotected."One visibly shaken GOP Member approached for this article called the current situation "nerve-racking" and insisted that he not be quoted by name for fear that he might endanger his family, who split their time between his district and Washington, D.C.Freshman Rep. Rick Larsen (D-Wash.), who moved his family to the Washington area after being elected last fall, admitted that since the attacks he too has had a "lot of concerns" about residing in the Washington area, but has decided to stay put for now."If things escalated, I'd consider moving my family back to Seattle," he said.Between votes and security briefings Tuesday, several lawmakers discussed their fears and described the steps they are taking to try to increase their sense of security.Congressional license plates, once a coveted sign of their elite status, are now seen by some as an added risk; thus lawmakers have been advised by security experts to remove them from their vehicles, lest they make themselves easy targets.Several lawmakers described colleagues - including some advocates of strict controls on handguns - who are now seeking firearms training in hopes of protecting themselves if the need should arise.One Republican Member from the Midwest said safety concerns are also contributing to a desire to wrap up business quickly and get out of town as soon as possible."We must get out by the end of the month. There's a feeling that it's smart for us to get out of here, and our own security is part of that reason," he said.In the meantime, Members have also been learning new evacuation procedures, and they've been equipped with "BlackBerries," handheld e-mail devices, to improve communication, particularly during times of crisis. Tiahrt is not satisfied, though. "I think we're vulnerable," he said. "I think we need some means of protecting ourselves. The only thing we've gotten so far is a BlackBerry, which I haven't figured out how to use yet."We need to have some way for Members of Congress to protect themselves and their families," continued Tiahrt, who is concerned that terrorists, who might now be frustrated in their attempts to hijack airliners because of heightened security, may turn to other avenues of destruction in the near future.While cautioning that BlackBerries are not a "foolproof" solution to improved crisis communication, House Administration Chairman Bob Ney (R-Ohio) noted that "It sure was better Tuesday [Sept. 11] to have one than to not have one."The BlackBerries have become popular because they were the only thing that worked on the 11th," Ney continued. "That's how I talked to my office and how I communicated to my wife and kids."Although the devices were "one of the better things we could suggest at this point in time," Ney added that the committee is continuing to look at "communications issues beyond this."Ten days after the attack, Larsen's wife attended a security briefing sponsored by the Congressional spouses club, where she and about a dozen other spouses were briefed on everything from the likelihood of another attack to the potential for biological and chemical warfare on U.S. soil.After doing their own "family risk assessment," Larsen says he and his family are "holding tight" and intend to remain in Maryland's suburbs, where his 5-year-old son just began kindergarten.Although he grew up in the D.C. suburb of Silver Spring, Md., while his father was serving in Congress, first-term Rep. Lacy Clay (D-Mo.) said he is relieved that his family has stayed behind in St. Louis. "I feel more secure because the heartland has not been hit like the East Coast has," said Clay, who mentioned that he was worried about the trip his family planned to make to Washington today to attend the annual Congressional Black Caucus Weekend."We are all a little concerned - have to be mindful and watchful," Clay said. "You have a heightened awareness too, at least I do, of who's around you. I guess I feel a little less secure these days working in the Capitol.""Our workplace has a visible symbol on our roof," said Rep. Jane Harman (D-Calif.), who admitted to feeling vulnerable both at work and in the not-so-friendly skies. "We're human beings like anyone else," said Harman, who said she felt "some trepidation" when she flew several times last week as she and her daughter, a high school senior, visited various colleges.By contrast, other Members said they are not afraid and refuse to turn their lives upside down.First-term Rep. Mike Pence (R-Ind.) said he hasn't second-guessed his decision to move his family to the Washington area and has no plans to relocate them in light of the terrorist attacks.Pence, a father of three children ranging in age from 7 to 9 years old who reside not far from the Pentagon in Arlington, said he was glad to have his family around during the crisis."For me it was such a blessing that we got to go through this together ... as a family," Pence said. "It's a hard choice anyone has to make. For me and my household, being together was the safest place to be."The day of the attacks, he recalled telling his children, "You all thought the hard part was running for office. And then you thought the hard part was moving and leaving all your friends behind. Well, this is the hard part."Pence said he was also thankful he was able to allay the concerns of his 7-year-old daughter, Audrey, who recently asked him, "If we make a war, do you have to go?"Even as he contemplated and subsequently rejected the idea of uprooting his family, Larsen said he learned a valuable lesson when his son, Robert, asked him, "Why did those bad people fly that airplane into the building?"After Larsen struggled to "describe hate to a 5-year-old," his son simply handed him a crayon and asked if he wanted to "color in his coloring book," reminding the lawmaker in the simplest of terms that life does go on."You have to get back to business - you have to get back to business," Larsen said. "[Osama] bin Laden is not going to disrupt our lives."Other Members also insisted they would not let terrorists throw their lives into chaos or scare them out of the nation's capital."I don't think I have any greater fear. We have to live our lives. Bad things can happen whatever is going on," Rep. Adam Smith (D-Wash.) said, explaining that lawmakers need to set an example for the American people by not just folding up their tents. He added that he would be "real surprised if rank-and-file Members of Congress would be considered legitimate targets."Rep. Tony Hall (D-Ohio), who has always advocated that Members and their families live in the Washington area, said he wouldn't dream of drastically changing the lives of those in his family. "My family's here. They've always been here. We're just kind of carrying on a regular life and trying to be smart."Others echoed that sentiment."We don't have any real concerns about our safety," said freshman Rep. Brad Carson (D-Okla.), who commutes to and from his district with wife Julie. However, the couple have made some minor changes. "We have made emergency plans - how to reach me in an emergency, where to go if the phone lines are not working, where to rendezvous.""I feel like everybody in the Capitol area is doing everything they can within reason to prevent these things," said Rep. Adam Putnam (R-Fla.), though he conceded that his wife and daughter would "probably be safer" back in their hometown of Bartow, Fla. http://www.rollcall.com/pages/news/00/2001/09/news0927d.html

Comments

• Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Perhaps those jerks will finally realize the road to safety GET A GUN.
    So many guns to buy. So little money.
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    If only every member of congress would own a rfle and a handgun and get proficient with it we wouln't have any more problems with gun control. Once you get good at something you NEVER want to give it up.
    If you run, you'll just die tired!