In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sore wrist on shooting hand

tall dark and handsometall dark and handsome Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in General Discussion
Quite sure its from loading stiff double stack mags on my Styer M40 (which I love) . Tried all kinds of loading assiting gizmos also. Plus I shoot 45's and 44's. So lots of wear and tear on my "mature" writs. Any suggestions out there on maintenance on my writs as opposed to my "arms?"

Comments

• Options
    ranahanranahan Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A couple of things. A good liquid colloidal mineral supplement for the "mature wrist"(like mine). I reccomend TRC minerals of Tulsa OK.(call 1-800-258-5028) I've studied this stuff for 20 years and they are not only the best but the cheapest. All the other GOOD minerals are made and bottled and the customer's lable applied at the TRC plant using their minerals. Also, get cod liver oil gel caps and take two caps twice a day. ($2.59/100 at K-Mart)This did more good for my arthritis than anything, EVER! About the mag. loading, the above will probably do more good than any contraptions. For the shooting, there's two or three possibillities. 1.lighter bullets and less powder. 2.Try black powder. Recoil is a push, not a sharp slap.("Black powder!?" you say,"In my fine automatic!? You*&^%%$#@&^crazy fool! ARE YOU CRAZY??!") Yes. A little. But I've used it in my Colt and Springfield .45 autos with good results; and 16.2gns of FFFG makes the most accurate, pleasant to shoot load I've ever used in my Charter .44 Bulldog with 215 grain SWC bullets. Good power too. Full house loads in this gun are VERY punishing with any modern smokeless powders. (An hour of good practice with this fine little gun and stout smokeless loads can leave the bones aching clear to the elbow for a week because of the light weght and grip design.) Of course it takes 1/2 an hour to clean the gun after using black powder, but I've got a couple of remedies for that too. Shooting a lot? OK. Keep a bucket of warm water near by (doesn't have to be warm but the warmer it is the faster it will dry. Here in Ariz. it's usually not a problem.)Put a very little detergent and a little more (oh hell, a lot more) Murphy's Oil Soap in it and maybe a little rubbing alchohol so the water won't leave spots, and just dip the whole gun in the bucket of water and swish it around good, snap it and work the action under water. Same with the mags. Then shake every thing off like a dog on the clean kitchen floor. Dry with a wrag and swab the bore if you want. Set it down in the sun for a while while you're shooting something else for 5 or 10 nminutes and then go again. It works. Remove your nice wood grip panels if you want. I use Pachmayers anyway. 3. I've just recently heard of a new Black Powder substitute called Clean Shot that a fellow is using in his mod 1897 pump Shotgun with brass cases. Supposed to be clean. Sounds good.I think I'll try some of that. I know most all of you will think I'm nuts (I also cool off hot rifle barrels with a water hose. How do you like THAT? Keeps me shooting and they still shoot to the same poa as they did 20 years ago when new.) but look fellas; I love my guns as much as the next guy and more than some. But damit they're for shooting, not worshiping. I care for them and they care for me. But I do whatever it takes to keep shooting. To hell with tradition;find a way! I don't worship them or pamper them. They get rusty from daily body sweat in the summer and full of mud rain and river water in the winter and dust the year round. "A gun is a tool" (Alan Ladd in Shane) and you can't use it if you ain't got it and you ain't good with it. You don't get to be a shot unless you shoot. If it's too painfull or too much trouble you won't do it; or you won't do it well. So make it as easy and pleasant and as often as you can. Most guns are really a lot more usefull and resilient than most gun enthusiasts give them credit for, I think. Sorry if this seems like a rant. I hope it was helpfull and as much fun for you as it was for me.ranahan[This message has been edited by ranahan (edited 09-23-2001).][This message has been edited by ranahan (edited 09-23-2001).]
  • Options
    tall dark and handsometall dark and handsome Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ranahan, you are the greatest, thanks. I'm going to take your advise for the wrist but I'm not that confident in cleaning my guns or loading my own etc. But you are something. Thanks again.
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    Harbinger makes a weight lifting glove that has both padding in the palm and double wrapped wrist support. I never leave home without it if my .454 Casull is in the truck!
    If you run, you'll just die tired!