In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The 17 Remington

will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
edited March 2005 in General Discussion
Who else is shootin' coyotes with the pea shooter? I shot one with the little gun and was seriously impressed with the performance and lack of fur damage.

Yes, the coyote gods got me hooked.[:D]

"When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend."
~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
Twentynine_Palms.gif

Comments

• Options
    Hunter375Hunter375 Member Posts: 612 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    haven't ever played with one, but it is on my list. I find it interesting that the .17 cal. rimfires have made such a big splash, while the ultimate micro-bore goes largely unnoticed. It's a shame, but maybe the tide will turn soon with the .17 HMR and .17 HM2 gaining so much popularity.

On a side note, there have been .14 and even .12 caliber wildcats devoloped off the .17 rem. case. One such wildcat launches 11.4 grain bullets at a blistering 4665 FPS (for a whopping 551 FPE)

It's easy to spot liberals-they are the ones who have no assets to protect and need every handout they can get. They have forbeyed themselves ascendence to a productive lifestyle.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    More toys to try. I have a dislike for the 17 rimfires after chasing someones coyote for a couple hundred yards without a good blood trail. I reckon it's a good rabbit gun. Some will say I need more than the 17 rem for coyotes though so to each his/her own.

If it's on your list send me an email, I know where a few are.

Twentynine_Palms.gif
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For those that have been bitten by, or are willing to bitten by, the wildcat bug, you should seriously look into the .17 Mach IV as a viable alternative cartridge when compared to the .17 Remington. The case is super easy to form and the performance is right on the heels of the Remington but with less powder. There is a good selection of bullets both commercial and custom. I use it for everything from ground squirrels up through coyotes.

Here is something from COTW:

17 Mach IV

Historical Notes:

Introduced by the O'Brian rifle company of Las Vegas, Nevada, this cartridge was intended to offer simple case conversion and good ballistics. It succeeded on both counts but could not compete against factory chambering, i.e. the 17 Remington.

General Comments:

This short cartridge can be used in short rifle action rifles. Efficiency is much better than the various full powder 17's available. This diminutive chambering can produce over 3850 fps with 25 grain bullets and is fully capable of delivering good varmint accuracy to about 250 yards, perhaps a bit further on a calm day. Muzzle blast is in a different league from larger 17's and the various high performance 22's. While by no means "quiet", the 17 Mach IV generates so much less report that this difference is significant. Use of the faster burning powders listed, while necessitating a slight velocity sacrifice, results in much quieter loads. Since it uses significantly less powder than the 17 Remington, the 17 Mach IV generally produces much less barrel fouling, an important consideration in this diminutive bore size.

Source: Cartridges of the World

View Cartridge Drawing

17 Mach IV Reloading Data
    Bullet (grs.) Powder / (grs.) MV ME Source
    25 2400 / 13.1 3600 720 Hornady
    25 H4227 / 14.6 3700 760 Hornady
    25 H4198 / 15.6 3700 760 Hornady
    25 2015BR / 18.5 3850 820 Accurate
    25 2230 / 20.3 3861 825 Accurate
    25 2460 / 20.5 3883 835 Accurate (Compressed)
    25 2520 / 20.5 3768 785 Accurate (Compressed)
  • Options
    shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    i had one till it got stolen by some S.O.B.
    loved that gun

Lt.RRG

"Go over,go under,go around,or go through.But never give up."
  • Options
    jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't understand why it isn't more popular.

J. Patrick Tatum
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jptatum
    I don't understand why it isn't more popular.

J. Patrick Tatum

BAd rumors of no stopping power, serious bore fouling, and so on. Now that I have one, I know the rumors are BS. I think I might expand my 17 arsenal to include one or two of the wildcats.

Twentynine_Palms.gif