In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

So, you wanna brag about good groups?

Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
Feeling bored today I loaded up the Bushy, the NEF .223, 760 gameBLASTER 30-06 and a Marlin .22 and headed for the range. I found out today that you do not try to shoot group on a hot and humid day, for some reason they all shot like doo doo.

The 30-06 was the worse

The NEF did so so, shot low right though, didnt do that before.

The Bushy wasnt impressive today

And for the heck of it, the Marlin .22lr (not bad for 100 yds heh?)

Now, tell me why the humidity threw the accuracy off so bad. And I shot all 4 guns at the same 2 targets and there was a couple fliers floating around. This is a very bad day shooting for me and I'm disgusted.

Edited by - 7mm nut on 04/18/2002 20:00:46

Comments

• Options
    concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    First, maybe the shooter was a bit overheated! Also, unless you broke some of your equipment or accidentally shot somebody, I'd say you still had a fine day!

G36

Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT Criminals
  • Options
    hunter280manhunter280man Member Posts: 705
    edited November -1
    Remember that bean-burrito and hot sauce for lunch?
    Hey 7mm you got the purtiest dern targets.
    At least you had something nice to look at, I usually use plain old cardboard with a felt marker at our range. To see something that nice I'd have to be really artistic before shooting!

Though I was born to royalty, I was snatched at birth, so treat me as the noble I am!!!
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    This is pretty good for me. What's up with that flier? This is a 10 shot group by the way.......honest!

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets

Edited by - will270win on 04/18/2002 21:02:32
  • Options
    robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    will270,
    You're not suppose to show us the targets you punched with your pen, he he! Whats up with the flier, writer's cramp? I had to, sorry.

SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    Hey 7...maybe you need to borrow will`s rifle.

Did sombody say somethin` about bees?
  • Options
    the loveable rat...the loveable rat... Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "the pen is mightier than the ar-15" indeed...

"let not your work smack of the trowel, nor your words cause a blow from one either..."
  • Options
    Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wind, light, and mirage. Those are the three natural elements you have to deal with in competitive shooting. On a still, hot and humid day, the mirage will eat you up when shooting at any distance. The only salvation is all the other shooters are having to deal with it too. Mirage, technically, is the distortion (or refraction) of light caused by layers of hot and cool air. It makes you see things where they aren't. It's like when you put a stick in a pond of water...how it looks bent where it goes in. Looking down range, through warm humid air, does the same thing with the way you see the target.

Competitive shooters prefer to shoot with a little cross-wind, to keep the mirage blown away. Cross-wind is much easier to "read" than mirage. I never did learn to read mirage very well, but I knew some people how could.

The next time you go out on a day like this, sit there in the near ready position (but not tense or fatigue will set in) and wait until there is a little poof of wind down range. Then within the next 3-4 seconds, fire the round before the mirage comes back. That little poof will blow the mirage away for a few seconds.

P.S. You may want to make a set of wind flags to put down range. If shooting at 100 yards, they should be positioned at 40 yards, and 70 yards. If shooting at 200 yards, position additional flags at 110 yards and 160 yards. They will tell you a lot about what's happening down range.

Hope this helps.

Rafter-S
  • Options
    groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    Will270, I'm impressed! Good shooting. The flier is a little demon that lights on your shoulder after the 3rd shot of a "screamer"(group measured in the.100's for the uninformed) and causes the 4th one to fly just outside and you shoot the 5th one and it's back in the hole! If you make it to the 7th or 8th shot in a ten shot group he starts jumping up and down on your shoulder!!! Anyway I shot a new load today @100 yds that did .554 in the 222Mag. So I tried it @ 200yds. It did .382. I can live with that for the truckgun! Funny thing is that it was 1.9" high @100 and 1.5"high@200!! I don't have one of them fancy ballistics programs to figure all this stuff out but this might be a groundhog killing *!!! By the way I did repeat the test so it was duplicate same results!! The xp in 223 was very impressive with Varget!! Bullet choice not important!! 40Bt-55Sierras same POI!! All under 1" with the BT's turning in .317 out of the little barrel!! Hope this wasn't too long. My day was as good as 7mm's was bad. GHD
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    will270win--What were you shooting when you produced that group? I'm so used to seeing all of the pertinent info written on the target that I get curious when I don't.

SSG idsman75, U.S. ARMY
  • Options
    groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    For some really nice targets got to varminthunters.com and click on the downloadable targets. GHD
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    It's my Remington 700 PSS in .308, needs to be sold, HS Precision stock, and a "sloppy chamber?". This load is 42 Grains of IMR 4895, a federal large rifle Magnum primer, federal Gold Medal Match casings, a sloppy chamber, and Combined Technologies Ballistic Silvertip 168 gr bt. I had a hard crosswind that day of about 30 mph but it was consistent rather than gusty. Seems I had to adjust 6 clicks or more from my first target to this one to hit near the bull. I reckon the sun shines on a dawg's * every now and then.

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets

Edited by - will270win on 04/19/2002 07:51:55